Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

the.dreamfinder

Joe could have stayed there until he was 120 years old, the Yeti was never going to get fixed. But, I guess it doesn't hurt to dream.
1614038346013.jpeg

Goofyernmost

I'm just looking forward to the new VG "charm" he will add to his earring...
They aren't using the space shuttles anymore, I'm surprised that he didn't buy one to hang from the other ear to balance the load. I know I'm old fashioned, but he is 65 years old. It's time to off the hardware, get some duct tape and see if he can't get his earlobe to reattach and do his grown up job with dignity and not act like a rebelling teenager.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure if you mean that building EPCOT (the city) would have caused them to be the "next Kodak or Sears" or just them being interested in "rides and shops" (though I assume you mean the latter).

If so, it's worth noting that Disney has a company is in fact actively reinventing itself as it pivots increasing to streaming (and more international presence). Not I'm not going to argue that this is the right course of action - I'm no media mogul - but it's beyond cynical to suggest that Disney is simply resting on its laurels and not planning for the future.
The only reason why the original Epcot didn't cause them to be the next Kodak or Sears is because it never got built. But it doesn't take much imagination to figure out the EPCOT Ctr. almost broke the company and it was at a time when technology was just starting to flame. Trying to keep up with technology alone would have killed it. Eisner tried to create a smaller version of EPCOT by designing it's own city, called Celebration. They built the schools the shopping areas, the hospital, made zoning and property regulation and then asked people to spend 100rds of thousands for the privilege of having no individual rights at all. Yea, that would have worked in a country that currently cannot get people to wear a simple light mask to prevent others from dying. Yea, that would have worked. Celebration was a smaller version of the big dream and even that failed but, they were able to retrieve enough money to let the property go to individuals with their own ruling system. The original EPCOT itself would have drawn Disney into oblivion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you know?

Not a clue...

But we are here for curiosity

I think there are two “strong”
Possibilities and a lot of lesser ones.

Those two I think are:
1. He was told that all projects are off and it will be too long before anything juicy is built for him. Which essentially means he was being put out to pasture.
2. He was dismissed...or “suggested to retire without alternative” as part of a blood letting that always comes when they have the political/economic cover. That is now.

Anyway...just musings.

the.dreamfinder

The only reason why the original Epcot didn't cause them to be the next Kodak or Sears is because it never got built. But it doesn't take much imagination to figure out the EPCOT Ctr. almost broke the company and it was at a time when technology was just starting to flame. Trying to keep up with technology alone would have killed it. Eisner tried to create a smaller version of EPCOT by designing it's own city, called Celebration. They built the schools the shopping areas, the hospital, made zoning and property regulation and then asked people to spend 100rds of thousands for the privilege of having no individual rights at all. Yea, that would have worked in a country that currently cannot get people to wear a simple light mask to prevent others from dying. Yea, that would have worked. Celebration was a smaller version of the big dream and even that failed but, they were able to retrieve enough money to let the property go to individuals with their own ruling system. The original EPCOT itself would have drawn Disney into oblivion.
First, EPCOT Center wasn’t a failure. The parks were the only thing that held the company together financially after Walt died. EC supercharged WDW. The only mistake made was to not build more hotel rooms on property to make money off all the guests.

Second, Celebration was a concession to the Bass Brothers who, as Disney’s largest shareholders, mandated that as much of the Florida property be monetized as possible. Nor is Celebration actually Walt’s fulfilled dream. Celebration is just a car based bedroom community subdivision.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Not a clue...

Those two I think are:
1. He was told that all projects are off and it will be too long before anything juicy is built for him. Which essentially means he was being put out to pasture.
2. He was dismissed...or “suggested to retire without alternative” as part of a blood letting that always comes when they have the political/economic cover. That is now.

Anyway...just musings.
It was the former.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First, EPCOT Center wasn’t a failure. The parks were the only thing that held the company together financially after Walt died. EC supercharged WDW. The only mistake made was not build more hotel rooms on property to make money off all the guests.

Second, Celebration was a concession to the Bass Brothers who, as Disney’s largest shareholders, mandated that as much of the Florida property be monetized as possible. Nor is Celebration actually Walt’s fulfilled dream. Celebration is just a car based bedroom community subdivision.

Epcot was what caused them to be available for raiding...that and a weak studio. Epcot cost (internal legend but believe it or not those tend to be true) a BILLION dollars with overruns. That was massive.

So while Epcot wasn’t a “failure”...it stretched them as too thin on the street.

But then they got a guy that very quickly identified undervalued assets and grew them.

Right...we all hate him now 🙄

DVCakaCarlF

Not a clue...

Those two I think are:

Anyway...just musings.
I don’t think he cares to become like a JD and move into an admin role. They were also using him as a good will ambassador for profits and awareness despite covid.

The budget issue is real, and, I don’t blame him for leaving....fighting through a recession is really, really, really hard and not fun.

DVCakaCarlF

Epcot was what caused them to be available for raiding...that and a weak studio. Epcot cost (internal legend but believe it or not those tend to be true) a BILLION dollars with overruns. That was massive.

So while Epcot wasn’t a “failure”...it stretched them as too thin on the street.

But then they got a guy that very quickly identified undervalued assets and grew them.

If they are anything close to a Sears, we are all doomed. That’s literally a cockroach that doesn’t die. I’m obviously talking about when Sears was worth $0.02.

Disney, and, as a byproduct, WDW had to evolve into IP, etc to stay relevant to be economically feasible. Eisner saved Disney, but eventually over stayed his welcome and couldn’t adapt.

the.dreamfinder

Roy E Disney would be the one who opened them up for raiding. Big Disney projects going over budget wasn’t anything new at that point, both DL and WDW phase 1 went well over budget.

the.dreamfinder

If they are anything close to a Sears, we are all doomed. That’s literally a cockroach that doesn’t die. I’m obviously talking about when Sears was worth $0.02.

Disney, and, as a byproduct, WDW had to evolve into IP, etc to stay relevant to be economically feasible. Eisner saved Disney, but eventually over stayed his welcome and couldn’t adapt.
Just like how a hedge fund guy bought Sears and evolved it into real estate liquidation company!

DVCakaCarlF

Roy E Disney would be the one who opened them up for raiding. Big Disney projects going over budget wasn’t anything new at that point, both DL and WDW phase 1 went well over budget.
This is a whole different issue. I can’t see why Disney struggles to stay in budget on capital projects. I mean it’s beyond reasonable. Their accounting or allocation is completely jacked up. There’s no way they can build a whole park (AK) for $400-500 million and then build The Little Mermiad for the same.

I have to assume they are including real estate, infrastructure, taxes, permits, license fees, etc into this juggernaut numbers.

I know if I was an owner, and a contractor handed me a bill for $400M, I’d tell him to go off.

DVCakaCarlF

At least Virgin will have an environment that fosters creativity, unlike the hollowed out shell of WDI which just seems to be a collection of hyper-inflated egos and eager yes men/women willing to nod idiotically at the directives of executives who couldn't tell the difference between Mickey Mouse and a toilet.
TDC is more focused on being “woke” and leading appealing to left than anything else.

Joe was left, but he wasn’t crazy.

the.dreamfinder

This is a whole different issue. I can’t see why Disney struggles to stay in budget on capital projects. I mean it’s beyond reasonable. Their accounting or allocation is completely jacked up. There’s no way they can build a whole park (AK) for $400-500 million and then build The Little Mermiad for the same.

I have to assume they are including real estate, infrastructure, taxes, permits, license fees, etc into this juggernaut numbers.

I know if I was an owner, and a contractor handed me a bill for $400M, I’d tell him to go **** off.
Inflation for one. AK was between $800 million to a billion and that park was victim to major cuts like losing Tiger River Run, Asia’s Kilomanjaro Safari analogue, a fleshed out Dinoland and, of course, Beastly Kingdom.

The issue too is that a truly Disney quality park is not cheap. What’s fascinating about the Iger era is that they generally didn’t skimp on budgets, but WDI often didn’t design things with good bones in the way parks like DLP, EC, DAK or TDS have good bones. I’m saddened by what they’re doing to Epcot by turning it into a Disney Store park, but one day, new leadership could scrub away all the detritus and uncover the strong foundation EC has.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom