Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

the.dreamfinder

I'm not sure if you mean that building EPCOT (the city) would have caused them to be the "next Kodak or Sears" or just them being interested in "rides and shops" (though I assume you mean the latter.

If so, it's worth noting that Disney has a company is in fact actively reinventing itself as it pivots increasing to streaming (and more international presence). Not I'm not going to argue that this is the right course of action - I'm no media mogul - but it's beyond cynical to suggest that Disney is simply resting on its laurels and not planning for the future.
They’ve used their theme parks as an ATM for 20+ years to make highly questionable, and occasionally good, purchases whilst failing to properly invest in their core businesses or really be a leader.

D+ needed to happen to replace the Disney Channel and home entertainment $$$, but did they really need to spend tens of billions of dollars on Fox assets, at the expense of direct internal investment?

Or, to put it another way, Disney used to make money to make more things. Now Disney makes things just to make money.

DisneyOutsider

You mean like when they tell you to build a 5 land park and you “stretch” the budget to cover 3.5??

(Ok...I’ll stop now 🤪)

Joe's work has been extremely high quality for a long time now. Every time his name comes up you run inside to trash his work by only viewing him in light of budgets that he over-ran (the details of which you have never been privy to, anyways). It seems pretty disingenuous to evaluate his work so single-mindedly and without nuance. I wonder if you would have critiqued Walt's work through the same lense and standard.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Joe's work has been extremely high quality for a long time now. Every time his name comes up you run inside to trash his work by only viewing him in light of budgets that he over-ran (the details of which you have never been privy to, anyways). It seems pretty disingenuous to evaluate his work so single-mindedly and without nuance. I wonder if you would have critiqued Walt's work through the same lense and standard.

Not every time...

But that is a completely legitimate criticism and I will repeat it again: a consistent history of budget overruns has absolutely delayed or Eliminated other potential projects. The fans have “lost” there...they just don’t know it.

For me...since I love being “cm-psycho evaluated”...I’ll just say it was Everest that broke the straw for me.

And are you saying his blowing budgets is not a “known” thing? Is this the first day of school??

But I give him credit for Art/quality. I do. But that’s is only part of the job in senior leadership on a capex project. Budgets do matter...they affect the entire operation and strategic planning.

DVCakaCarlF

No everytime...

But that is a completely legitimate criticism and I will repeat it again: a consistent history of budget overruns has absolutely delayed or Eliminated other potential projects. The fans have “lost” there...they just don’t know it.

For me...since I love being “cm-psycho evaluated”...I’ll just say it was Everest that broke the straw for me.

And are you saying his blowing budgets is not a “known” thing? Is this the first day of school??
Okay, so what were Joe’s “bad” habits, projects, etc...not including Dino land.

DisneyOutsider

No everytime...

But I give him credit for Art/quality. I do. But that’s is only part of the job in senior leadership on a capex project. Budgets do matter...they affect the entire operation and strategic planning.
You've made it very apparent that you think fiscal failure is his lasting legacy. That's a really really bad take. When you see someone being complimentary of his work, you make it known that you think the financial cost of his projects have made him a net-negative. You do it in every single thread about Joe.

And you know what I mean when I say you aren't privy to the details. You don't know what his demands were.. you don't know what the budget was. You act like you do... You speak in absolutes about things that you frankly are out of your depth on, and then you rattle off a condescending retort when anyone dares to question your position (exhibit A above).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You've made it very apparent that you think fiscal failure is his lasting legacy. That's a really really bad take. When you see someone being complimentary of his work, you make it known that you think the financial cost of his projects have made him a net-negative. You do it in every single thread about Joe.

And you know what I mean when I say you aren't privy to the details. You don't know what his demands were.. you don't know what the budget was. You act like you do... You speak in absolutes about things that you frankly are out of your depth on, and then you rattle off a condescending retort when anyone dares to question your position (exhibit A above).

I didn’t declare his “lasting legacy”...I think that it’s much more balanced Than 100% success or failure. I would say his legacy is more positive than negative...so my opinion isn’t that relevant.

But still there is some balance.

For every DAK fan that lauded the “detail” as being the soul of the park until avatar (and still some today)...that detail contributed to an underbuilt, underinvested in Park for a solid 20 years.

That’s part of how I see...not completely. Why are we arguing again??

And I’d be interested to see where you get your standoffishness? It’s obviously not from anything on a “high level”.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who are the good imagineers then?

Is Trowbridge to blame for all of the faults in Galaxies Edge?

This is off the rails...i’m Not making blanket policy assessments or performing some kind of market analysis.

This is a particular case...hell - I’m giving him high marks overall (for me)

But this becoming a typical “all or nothing” battle that isn’t grounded. No Disney exec really can be fairly categorized as such. Including WDI. Even the two most “valuable” Disney careers in my opinion - the Roys - have warts.

Good luck to Joe...I hope he maybe sheds some
Light on these past few months someday?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At least Virgin will have an environment that fosters creativity, unlike the hollowed out shell of WDI which just seems to be a collection of hyper-inflated egos and eager yes men/women willing to nod idiotically at the directives of executives who couldn't tell the difference between Mickey Mouse and a toilet.

Woah...you mad, bro?

(I thought I was the “snarly” one on this thread 😡???

“I claim this battleground for the throne of Spain!!” 🇪🇸)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom