Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course it does.

WDI is just a toy maker now churning out branded product.

Virgin Galactic is poised to be the FIRST major space tourism company that will take tens of thousands of guests off this rock to see their home from a new vantage point.
You believe what you want to believe...I smell a rat 😉

Rhode was born for Disney on so many levels...his departure says a lot about the situation...and that’s where you “follow the money”

DVCakaCarlF

Sounds like this is a great opportunity for Joe to try to expose more people to environmentalism and I'm not sure there were any opportunities left for him at WDI to do the same thing in a meaningful way.
Meaningful is the key word...he’s not going to repaint anything for them anymore on a peanut budget.

He’s going to have loads to play with now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Joe is one of those people who does it for the high, not the money.

No high without the money. At least...access to other people’s electronic, non-tangible bank bloated money 💰

Meaningful is the key word...he’s not going to repaint anything for them anymore on a peanut budget.

He’s going to have loads to play with now.

I agree...why would he downshift to the current environment at Disney when he operated with many more resources prior?

Last edited:

britain

Of course it does.

WDI is just a toy maker now churning out branded product.

Virgin Galactic is poised to be the FIRST major space tourism company that will take tens of thousands of guests off this rock to see their home from a new vantage point.

This is only tangentially related to WDI. Yes, if Walt were still around, he would be launching Disney Galactic. But just like how EPCOT became a park rather than a city, the Disney company has been a lot more interested in rides & shops than reinventing actual society for a very long time now.

the.dreamfinder

This is only tangentially related to WDI. Yes, if Walt were still around, he would be launching Disney Galactic. But just like how EPCOT became a park rather than a city, the Disney company has been a lot more interested in rides & shops than reinventing actual society for a very long time now.
And that’s how Disney becomes the next Kodak or the next Sears.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Sad to hear such a WDI talent talking about a project that won't be for Disney. He will do an amazing job for Virgin I'm sure.

At least Virgin will have an environment that fosters creativity, unlike the hollowed out shell of WDI which just seems to be a collection of hyper-inflated egos and eager yes men/women willing to nod idiotically at the directives of executives who couldn't tell the difference between Mickey Mouse and a toilet.

doctornick

And that’s how Disney becomes the next Kodak or the next Sears.

I'm not sure if you mean that building EPCOT (the city) would have caused them to be the "next Kodak or Sears" or just them being interested in "rides and shops" (though I assume you mean the latter).

If so, it's worth noting that Disney has a company is in fact actively reinventing itself as it pivots increasing to streaming (and more international presence). Not I'm not going to argue that this is the right course of action - I'm no media mogul - but it's beyond cynical to suggest that Disney is simply resting on its laurels and not planning for the future.

Last edited:

Thelazer

r Joe to try to expose more people to environmentalism a

If you count blasting rocket loads of fuel into the atmosphere as being a way to introduce environmentalism, then perhaps consider that us visiting (contaminating) worlds that we are not a native part of... yea Joe should be right up there on that one.

Maybe he will really reach Pandora for real this time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom