Jim McPhee promoted - now oversees the 4 park VPs

Brian_WDW74

I think Jim is the right man for the job, but I'm a bit confused by this promotion. It seems to create an extra layer of management for WDW, if not a completely redundant one. What will Meg's role be now? If she's still in charge, won't she just continue to cut budgets and cancel new projects like she's done in the past?

EPCOT Explorer

I think Jim is the right man for the job, but I'm a bit confused by this promotion. It seems to create an extra layer of management for WDW, if not a completely redundant one. What will Meg's role be now? If she's still in charge, won't she just continue to cut budgets and cancel new projects like she's done in the past?

Seems as though this makes her give power to Jim, and she's a figure head, almost.

GrumpyFan

Jim MacPhee (former VP of Epcot and 30 years with the Company) has been promoted to take on the new role of 'Vice President, Next Generation Experience and Walt Disney World Parks'.

Does anybody know what the Next Generation Experience is? A new special project? A marketing term? It kinda makes me think of Eisner's Disney Decade.

DisneyMusician2

Wow...I hope this is another step in the right direction. Maybe his first official act could be to fix the Epcot christmas lights!

Congrats Jim!

Perhaps this new Experience could be related to the RFID stuff '74 is posting cryptically about in his thread?

RSoxNo1

Jim MacPhee (former VP of Epcot and 30 years with the Company) has been promoted to take on the new role of 'Vice President, Next Generation Experience and Walt Disney World Parks'.

This means that Jim will now lead the Walt Disney World Park Operations team. Phil Holmes (VP MK), Dan Cockerell (VP Epcot), Rilous Carter (VP DHS) and Kevin Lansberry (VP AK) will all report to Jim MacPhee. Jim will report to Meg Crofton.

What is Joe Rohde's position relative to the Animal Kingdom? Head Imagineer? Nothing?

SirGoofy

Perfect. Simply perfect. This is a Christmas present I never thought I'd get. WDW finally has a talented leader who knows what the traditions and values of this company truly are.

Honestly, as a former EPCOT CM who worked under Jim's lead, the guy knows how to run a park, he takes a vested interest in the daily goings on, and was never shy about speaking to CMs and guests a like. The most important thing I see from Jim is that he was in the park an awful lot. Nothing important went by without him checking it out.

Great move by Disney. Honestly. I am ecstatic.

What is Joe Rohde's position relative to the Animal Kingdom? Head Imagineer? Nothing?

Creative Lead.:wave:

kcnole

You guys act like the 4 parks are the only aspect of WDW. Have you forgotten just how much goes into WDW. Meg is over all of it including the 4 parks, the two water parks, DTD, and the large amount of hotels. This kind of structure makes sense. There should be one person responsible for the theme parks/water parks, one person over hotels, and one person maybe over DTD and retail who all report to Meg.

WDW1974

Wow...I hope this is another step in the right direction. Maybe his first official act could be to fix the Epcot christmas lights!

Congrats Jim!

Perhaps this new Experience could be related to the RFID stuff '74 is posting cryptically about in his thread?

Um ... yeah, this was part of what I was alluding to. But the timing has taken me by surprise as I heard it wasn't going to be announced before the new year.

I wish I had more time to research what's out on this, but as I understand things while it is a good move for Jim (and hopefully for WDW) it isn't him being in charge of all the parks or the VPs' boss.

Erin Wallace is still the head of WDW Ops on a daily basis, Meg Crofton is still the figurehead pretty face prez (the Palin of WDW, if you will), and Al Weiss pulls strings in a nebulous role that may well be changed when Staggs and Rasulo swap jobs.

Jim will be working on integrating the new technolgies into the WDW parks, with most of the focus on MK to start (obviously the F-land project). As such, he'll have power in ALL the parks.

But he won't be running them or have veto power over those who do, although that all may change once Staggs comes in and decides how he wants the operational management chart to look.

But congrats to Jim.

Oh, and as I stated elsewhere, there will be more (any?, some?) holiday decor at EPCOT next year and some next generation light display (LoW aren't returning in current form ever) either next year or 2011.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread!:xmas:

WDW1974

He's basically in charge of what goes into DAK. :cool: We're in good hands.

He just needs to GET OUT OF HAWAII!

He is in Hawaii sadly because not much is happening at DAK.

And he is getting close to 'push him out the door' age ... I know for a fact another major entertainment company would love to have him.

The biggest question mark is what role he'll have in both China resorts.

Besides, he really wouldn't want to see DAK right now as its top attractions are a mess show quality wise.:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom