Jim Hill on XPass attraction line-up

captainkidd

It won't be stupid for visitors like us who stay at DVC Deluxe Resorts (assuming they get some perks with X-Pass) and don't do rope drop and aren't theme park commandos.

When we get to the parks later in the day, fast pass is usually gone. Now you don't have to be at the park earlier in the day to be able to participate.

I don't see what level of resort you're staying at has to do with anything. I don't care about the cost. I think it's utterly ridiculous to plan what attractions you will be visiting at what time, 6 months in advance.

To me , a lot of the fun of being at DW is waking up and deciding what park to visit that day. All this advanced planning takes away a lot of the spontaneity and carefree fun of the vacation. if every ride, meal, and "experience" has to be pre-booked, it will be an awful change to a fantastic place. I even hate having to plan what time, location, and park you are going top eat at with the sit-down meal plan. Without planning, you will have to eat at off hours at you least favorite places, wait in longer lines, and watch fireworks, etc. at the less desirable locations. All of this at greatly and rapidly rising prices. As some great philosopher once said "Keep it simple stupid" From what i have read, i shut a huge "NO THANK YOU" to planning every detail of what is supposed to be a laid back adventure.

awilliams4

It won't be stupid for visitors like us who stay at DVC Deluxe Resorts (assuming they get some perks with X-Pass) and don't do rope drop and aren't theme park commandos.

When we get to the parks later in the day, fast pass is usually gone. Now you don't have to be at the park earlier in the day to be able to participate.

If there are no freebies for Deluxe stay visits and you have to pay for this, I would just forego X-Pass. However, Disney being financially successful long term should be important to DVC owners. The more financial success Disney achieves, the more trickles down to the guests in some way shape or form. Disney will invest more in the parks if they grow financially. Dollar for dollar, no, but some will be invested back into the parks.

awilliams4

I don't see what level of resort you're staying at has to do with anything. I don't care about the cost. I think it's utterly ridiculous to plan what attractions you will be visiting at what time, 6 months in advance.

It has been suggesting by a few that have posted legit rumors in the past that Disney resort guests will benefit from X-Pass.

lebeau

How does X-Pass create social classes? Doesn't everything?

Pre-XPass everyone waited in the same line (or had the same opportunity to use FP at least). Now, wait times will no longer be equal. Pretty simple, really.

Yeah, there have always been ad-ons in WDW (and the world at large) but for 40+ years, wait times were excluded.

(And yes, I realize ticket books created a class system regarding what attractions were ridden. But those have been gone for a long time and they didn't cause some guests to have longer waits than others.)

lebeau

It has been suggesting by a few that have posted legit rumors in the past that Disney resort guests will benefit from X-Pass.

I have seen the opposite said.

I think Steve implied there's more to this than next gen queues. But I haven't seen anyone say that resort guests will see any kind of benefit. Care to provide a link?

This is meant to benefit Disney, not resort guests.

SyracuseOrange

Pre-XPass everyone waited in the same line (or had the same opportunity to use FP at least). Now, wait times will no longer be equal. Pretty simple, really.

Yeah, there have always been ad-ons in WDW (and the world at large) but for 40+ years, wait times were excluded.

(And yes, I realize ticket books created a class system regarding what attractions were ridden. But those have been gone for a long time and they didn't cause some guests to have longer waits than others.)

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this "social class" argument? I will probably never have XPass, I will probably never be able to afford a deluxe hotel. But I don't spend my vacation/trip to Disney going "oh man! That person has something I want!" I enjoy the things I can afford. At the moment that I no longer think I'm getting my money's worth for the experience I have, I will stop coming. If the "extra time" that you are going to have to wait in line because of XPass "ruins" your vacation, then by all means you have the right to not financially support the company who plagued you with this horrible feeling of being a second class citizen.

TP2000

The more I hear of XPass the less I like it.

BTW, if you're thinking of escaping to DL, Hill says it's coming there too eventually.

Agreed, the more I learn about it the less I like it.

But at least it's not going to be installed at Disneyland until 2015, and that's with the current timeline coming out of Florida. There's three years for this thing to cause heartache and pain at WDW before they work out the bugs, scale it back immensely, or shelve it entirely before it can get to Disneyland in 2015. :lol:

I'm thinking they are keeping this concept solely in Florida for several years before they try to expand it to Disneyland because they know they'd face a very vocal SoCal fan base with very well connected Internet personalities who would slash the thing to bits before it even had the chance to show some potential.

TP2000

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this "social class" argument? I will probably never have XPass, I will probably never be able to afford a deluxe hotel. But I don't spend my vacation/trip to Disney going "oh man! That person has something I want!" I enjoy the things I can afford.

No, you aren't the only one. I have plenty I already dislike about XPass, but the class warfare part is something I don't have a concern for or take issue with.

Using that type of class argument, the people staying at the All Star Sports should be given upgrades to Concierge at the Polynesian, and the people staying in Concierge rooms at the Poly should be moved over to a McMansion in Golden Oaks for the week, and somehow that would be "fair". :rolleyes:

Different people make different life decisions that then allow them to spend different amounts of money on different things. That's not a concept exlusive to Walt Disney World.

WDWFigment

Why is everyone assuming that Jim Hill knows what he's talking about?

Hill has become excellent at writing things that sound plausible, but are concoctions of his own.

lebeau

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this "social class" argument? I will probably never have XPass, I will probably never be able to afford a deluxe hotel. But I don't spend my vacation/trip to Disney going "oh man! That person has something I want!" I enjoy the things I can afford. At the moment that I no longer think I'm getting my money's worth for the experience I have, I will stop coming. If the "extra time" that you are going to have to wait in line because of XPass "ruins" your vacation, then by all means you have the right to not financially support the company who plagued you with this horrible feeling of being a second class citizen.

No, you aren't the only one. I have plenty I already dislike about XPass, but the class warfare part is something I don't have a concern for or take issue with.

Using that type of class argument, the people staying at the All Star Sports should be given upgrades to Concierge at the Polynesian, and the people staying in Concierge rooms at the Poly should be moved over to a McMansion in Golden Oaks for the week, and somehow that would be "fair". :rolleyes:

Different people make different life decisions that then allow them to spend different amounts of money on different things. That's not a concept exlusive to Walt Disney World.

I don't have a major problem with the "class" thing. Obviously, people should be able to get more if they are willing to spend more. That's how capitalism works.

But this is not the same as spending more to stay at a nicer hotel or eat at a fancier restaurant. If someone stays at the Grand Floridian as opposed to the All Star Sports, it doesn't impact me in the least. XPass negatively impacts those who don't pay for it. That's the difference.

baymenxpac

oh my god, i feel like screaming. for the people who love spontaneity: go, enjoy, live, love. no one is forcing you to buy an x-pass. for the people that do want this, fine...buy it. more power to you. but no one is forcing you to plan every step. the argument that disney is "effectively making you plan everything because i don't like standing in a stand by line" is trying to have it both ways. like others have said, i'd assume fast pass stays, but there will just be a certain amount per time reserved for x-pass. so i don't see how disney is infringing on anyone here.

i'll give you a great example on my last trip of how i wish i had x-pass:

we were there last week from tues-fri. my wife has never seen MSEP and, since spectro is rumored to be coming back soon, we only had one chance. we were in WDW for a wedding, so we were occupied with festivities attached to that on wed and thurs night. so friday night before the big president's week crowd got there, we did MK at night and saw MSEP and did the night time rides. stayed until 12:30 or so. it was our favorite night of the trip.

in the meantime, we wanted to get to DHS the next morning. DHS had extra magic hours in the morning, but after spending all night in MK, we didn't really feel like getting up at 6:30-7:00 to be in DHS by 8. so we got over there for 9. by the time we got down to TSMM, fast passes were at 3:20. rock n roller coaster had a 70 minute wait time after we did TOT on stand by. we left DHS after doing star tours, great movie ride, TOT and the muppets and did not do TSMM and RNRC. now...if i could have booked a time for anywhere from 9-12:00 on RNRC or TSMM, i would have been more than happy to pay for it. that doesn't limit my spontaneity, it just enhances certain other aspects of my vacation...like say...sleeping in. or getting to have relaxation by the pool without sacrificing being in the park for a 3:20 fast pass. know what i mean?

lebeau

Why is everyone assuming that Jim Hill knows what he's talking about?

Hill has become excellent at writing things that sound plausible, but are concoctions of his own.

I don't think anyone assumes Hill is 100% accurate. But, constantly posting the "Jim Hill disclaimer" (yeah, it's Jim Hill so take it with a grain of salt) gets tiresome. We all know his track record. The salt is implied.

Right now, no one else is talking. If/when someone else presents different info, I'm sure the conversation will change.

lebeau

oh my god, i feel like screaming. for the people who love spontaneity: go, enjoy, live, love. no one is forcing you to buy an x-pass. for the people that do want this, fine...buy it. more power to you. but no one is forcing you to plan every step. the argument that disney is "effectively making you plan everything because i don't like standing in a stand by line" is trying to have it both ways. like others have said, i'd assume fast pass stays, but there will just be a certain amount per time reserved for x-pass. so i don't see how disney is infringing on anyone here.

i'll give you a great example on my last trip of how i wish i had x-pass:

we were there last week from tues-fri. my wife has never seen MSEP and, since spectro is rumored to be coming back soon, we only had one chance. we were in WDW for a wedding, so we were occupied with festivities attached to that on wed and thurs night. so friday night before the big president's week crowd got there, we did MK at night and saw MSEP and did the night time rides. stayed until 12:30 or so. it was our favorite night of the trip.

in the meantime, we wanted to get to DHS the next morning. DHS had extra magic hours in the morning, but after spending all night in MK, we didn't really feel like getting up at 6:30-7:00 to be in DHS by 8. so we got over there for 9. by the time we got down to TSMM, fast passes were at 3:20. rock n roller coaster had a 70 minute wait time after we did TOT on stand by. we left DHS after doing star tours, great movie ride, TOT and the muppets and did not do TSMM and RNRC. now...if i could have booked a time for anywhere from 9-12:00 on RNRC or TSMM, i would have been more than happy to pay for it. that doesn't limit my spontaneity, it just enhances certain other aspects of my vacation...like say...sleeping in. or getting to have relaxation by the pool without sacrificing being in the park for a 3:20 fast pass. know what i mean?

I stopped reading at the bolded section. Did I miss a rumor? :shrug:

RSoxNo1

How does X-Pass create social classes? Doesn't everything?

People hear buzzwords and think they're being smart when they use them.

While the details of xPass are unknown, more logical complaints seem to tie back to the fear that it will mean that the guests that don't opt for xPass will get less for the money then they would previously. This isn't a social class issue, this is an issue with cheapening the existing product in favor of a premium product.

SyracuseOrange

I don't have a major problem with the "class" thing. Obviously, people should be able to get more if they are willing to spend more. That's how capitalism works.

But this is not the same as spending more to stay at a nicer hotel or eat at a fancier restaurant. If someone stays at the Grand Floridian as opposed to the All Star Sports, it doesn't impact me in the least. XPass negatively impacts those who don't pay for it. That's the difference.

Same with a nice restaurant. Someone else might come along and tip the maitre d, and he gets a table before you. Tis the way the world works.

I'm honestly surprised it took Disney this long to implement a system like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom