Jim Hill on XPass attraction line-up

Flight Safety

I miss the days where I could just decide to go to the parks spontaneously, have dinner at Epcot not having to worry about ADR's, and just go with the flow. I think the technology is cool, and the idea is great, but what happens to Passholders like me who visit the parks often, and don't want to wait in a standby line?

I don't always surround everything I do around any one thing, nor is it important to ride everything. Its bad enough that if I want to eat somewhere other than quick service I have to plan my entire trip around ADR's. I never wait in a standby line that is more than 30 minutes, which means I usually only ride via fast pass which up until march 7th, is usable anytime after the first time listen on the pass.

If this replaces fast pass, and is only available to resort guests, or for an extra fee, I will be very, very disappointed. Wow, it seems I keep using that word a lot recently regarding TDO. Ugh. :brick:

lebeau

If this replaces fast pass, and is only available to resort guests, or for an extra fee, I will be very, very disappointed. Wow, it seems I keep using that word a lot recently regarding TDO. Ugh. :brick:

Purely a guess (obviously) but I would be surprised if FP was replaced. Free FP will still exist. There will (again, guessing) be fewer of them depending on how many FPs are used up by XPass.

If XP is successful (I have to think Disney has done enough research) I expect free FPs will be available but run out sooner in the day than ever before. Plus, you know, expire for real.

Flight Safety

Purely a guess (obviously) but I would be surprised if FP was replaced. Free FP will still exist. There will (again, guessing) be fewer of them depending on how many FPs are used up by XPass.

If XP is successful (I have to think Disney has done enough research) I expect free FPs will be available but run out sooner in the day than ever before. Plus, you know, expire for real.

Like they don't already run out early in the day during peak times (which is more than half the year). We will just have to see how this works out I guess.

dcibrando

so I have to wonder if this is tiered based on what type of resort you are staying at value - moderate - deluxe... where will the DVC members fall in? Should be deluxe but something tells me since they already have our big chunk of money, who knows

ToTBellHop

Like they don't already run out early in the day during peak times (which is more than half the year). We will just have to see how this works out I guess.
Eh...not necessarily that big of an issue. Think of it this way:

Currently, Soarin's Fastpasses sell out by say 11 am--people rush to Soarin first thing in the morning to get a Fastpass. On the other hand, with XPass, people book their flight on Soarin before they leave, and presumably, Disney controls how many people get an XPass at a given time. Therefore, now as a resort guest, I arrive knowing I can ride Soarin between 2 pm and 3 pm today. I no longer need to rush to Soarin' to get a Fastpass and can head over somewhere else. So, a lot of the people who were rushing to rides like Soarin' and Midway Mania first thing in the morning for a Fastpass won't need to any more. It creates less of a rush to the big name attractions in the morning and will force the casual tourist to go to less popular attractions (like Imagination) which they might have otherwise missed.

If you view tourists like you view sheep, I can see the logic in this. And most tourists are like sheep. So while the Brazilian tour groups are using an "exclusive" XPass for The Seas, we Disney-educated folks can blaze past them when the Seas Stand-by is still walk-on and we can also use the XPass and Fastpass system together, to our great advantage.

My big question is--what will the associated costs be. Otherwise, I don't really have a problem with this since I think it will benefit me.

lebeau

My big question is--what will the associated costs be. Otherwise, I don't really have a problem with this since I think it will benefit me.

The cost is expected to be high. I'm guessing it will be high enough that most here will opt out.

One of the perks is an exclusive viewing area for the parades. That's something with a very limited capacity. And it's not like they can run out. They need to have enough for everyone who buys into X-Pass. Since parade viewing areas are a limited commodity, that tells me they are going to price this high enough that a relative few will be able to afford it. (That or it will be tiered and parade viewing will only be included at the highest tier.)

I'm obviously speculating. But I think most people around here are going to have longer lines with next gen queues to pass the time. Sounds great... :rolleyes:

jakeman

One of the perks is an exclusive viewing area for the parades. That's something with a very limited capacity.
If you are really "picking" what you do, then once that selection is full on a given day, it's just not available anymore.

They do this with excursion on the cruise.

pax_65

The other thing is those with kids... everything is on HER schedule... not something we planned in advance.

This is my biggest problem with the whole thing. Fun should be more spontaneous. We love waking up fairly early in the morning and asking the kids, "What park do you want to do today?" and then just doing what they want to do.

Kids don't plan ahead. They don't get ADRs for lunch or dinner. They don't buy XPasses in advance. They just go out and have fun doing whatever they feel like doing.

I don't necessarily object to giving people the opportunity to plan every minute of their WDW vacation. Some people like doing that. I get it, that's fine. My objection is that by creating programs like these, you effectively force people to plan or have a substandard park experience. Let's face it... XPass will make Fastpasses harder to get (and use, since they now expire), and XPass will make the standby lines a little longer.

This has already happened to my family with dining. Gone are the days when we could ask the kids "Where do you want to eat tonight?" and make it happen. So now I plan ahead or (more often) I don't eat at popular sit-down WDW restaurants.

I fear XPass is going to cause the same thing to happen to our favorite attractions and shows.

:(

lebeau

If you are really "picking" what you do, then once that selection is full on a given day, it's just not available anymore.

They do this with excursion on the cruise.

True, but they aren't going to sell a lot of XPass if the exclusive parade viewing is booked up 180 days in advance. People paying for XPass are going to expect access to all the perks that come with it.

If the planning disc says XPass offers exclussive viewing for the parades and fireworks, Disney can't just run out.

If this is priced within the range of the average guest, or even just out of range of the average guest, those exclusive viewing areas will fill up months in advance. And that just isn't going to fly.

bgraham34

The cost is expected to be high. I'm guessing it will be high enough that most here will opt out.

One of the perks is an exclusive viewing area for the parades. That's something with a very limited capacity. And it's not like they can run out. They need to have enough for everyone who buys into X-Pass. Since parade viewing areas are a limited commodity, that tells me they are going to price this high enough that a relative few will be able to afford it. (That or it will be tiered and parade viewing will only be included at the highest tier.)

I'm obviously speculating. But I think most people around here are going to have longer lines with next gen queues to pass the time. Sounds great... :rolleyes:

Whether it is high or not is irrelevant. Just another way to get more money out of you. Even if this was $10 per day I would not pay extra for it. Until people stop paying extra for everything your value is going to continue to decline.

I also like how the article said Xpass will only add 6-8 mins for some attractions, yeah well after waiting an hour or more I really don't want to wait an extra 6 minutes because someone paid extra to got online ahead of me.

lebeau

I also like how the article said Xpass will only add 6-8 mins for some attractions, yeah well after waiting an hour or more I really don't want to wait an extra 6 minutes because someone paid extra to got online ahead of me.

Not to mention, those little waits add up! And the primo viewing areas for parades and fireworks will be roped off.

If I am spending 4-5K to take my family to Disney World, I don't want to feel like second class citizens while we are there. But I also don't want to feel like I need to drop another grand (or more) to be one of the "haves" either.

Maybe I'll be wrong and this will have little to no impact. But I really don't see any way I come out ahead in this deal.

janoimagine

This is just bad all the way around. It totally ruins the spontaneity of the vacation, whatever suit thought this was a good idea should rethink their career path. Now your going to create social classes between the guests in the park, this is just another way to increase revenue at the expense of the guest, and I hope it explodes in their face.

jakeman

True, but they aren't going to sell a lot of XPass if the exclusive parade viewing is booked up 180 days in advance. People paying for XPass are going to expect access to all the perks that come with it.

If the planning disc says XPass offers exclussive viewing for the parades and fireworks, Disney can't just run out.

If this is priced within the range of the average guest, or even just out of range of the average guest, those exclusive viewing areas will fill up months in advance. And that just isn't going to fly.
I disagree, once again referencing the cruise.

Most of the dolphin related excursion sold out pretty quickly and people weren't flinging themselves from the top of the boat.

I think that theory is based around the idea that the parade viewing is the main draw to XPass. I'm not sure we have evidence to that regard.

awilliams4

X-pass - This is the stupid program that will allow you book ride reservation times before you leave home?

Next thing it will be a P-pass. You'll be able to reserve what times you can use the restrooms before you leave home. "Don't have a P-pass? Sorry, you'll have to hold it or go back to your resort. The restrooms are fully booked at this time."

It won't be stupid for visitors like us who stay at DVC Deluxe Resorts (assuming they get some perks with X-Pass) and don't do rope drop and aren't theme park commandos.

When we get to the parks later in the day, fast pass is usually gone. Now you don't have to be at the park earlier in the day to be able to participate.

pax_65

It won't be stupid for visitors like us who stay at DVC Deluxe Resorts (assuming they get some perks with X-Pass)

I wouldn't assume they are just going to GIVE X-Passes to DVC members. I think we're going to have to buy them like everyone else. Personally between DVC and annual passes I think I already give Disney quite a bit of money. I'm not really excited about having to buy another product just to be able to do the same attractions I've done before (either by walking on or with FastPass).

lebeau

I disagree, once again referencing the cruise.

Most of the dolphin related excursion sold out pretty quickly and people weren't flinging themselves from the top of the boat.

I think that theory is based around the idea that the parade viewing is the main draw to XPass. I'm not sure we have evidence to that regard.

I doubt the parade will be the main draw. But I think it is a perk Disney will market heavily and people will expect.

Not many people are talking about XPass. Unfortunately, Jim Hill is the only one claiming to spill details. Maybe he's full of it (wouldn't surprise me) but he's talking about the parade and fireworks viewing like they will be a central feature to the experience. He makes this sound like a premium add-on that will price out the average visitor.

Again, for emphasis, he could be making this all up or just misinformed. But right now, he's the only one talking in detail.

I can't speak to the cruise. No idea if it's an apples to apples comparison. I'm just speculating based on the info that's available. But that seems to suggest to me, that this won't be something most of us will be able to afford.

Or, perhaps more insidiously, it will be just within reach of the average guest. But it will be on the outer edges of their budget to the point where it will hurt. If that's the case, you'll either have to pay through the nose or suffer the consequences.

If it's cheap enough for everyone, they may as well just raise the price of tickets and let it replace FP.

lebeau

I wouldn't assume they are just going to GIVE X-Passes to DVC members. I think we're going to have to buy them like everyone else. Personally between DVC and annual passes I think I already give Disney quite a bit of money. I'm not really excited about having to buy another product just to be able to do the same attractions I've done before (either by walking on or with FastPass).

There is virtually no chance of this whatsoever. But I'm sure DVC owners will eventually have the opportunity to pay to play. Not so sure about those staying at the moderates. The poor slobs in the Values are probably out of luck.

RSoxNo1

That's exactly what I thought. I'll bet you're right.

In theory Jim may be correct, that the xPasses distributed for Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller coaster, Toy Story Mania, and Star Tours can be moderated so that the number of xPasses for these attractions is less than those being distributed on the newly added xPass/Fastpass attractions: The Great Movie Ride, MuppetVision 3-D, Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage!, The American Idol Experience, Studio Backlot Tour.

While I doubt these numbers are at all accurate, they are meant to explain the situation. Say for example that on average, day guests will get 200 Fastpasses for each of the new xPass/Fastpass attractions. That would mean that there are now 1000 more Fastpasses in the system. Presumably, the demand for xPass/Fastpass at these attractions will be less than the demand for the existing Fastpass attractions. As such, 1000 Fastpasses at Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania, and Star Tours would tie up a guest's ticket for much longer than 1000 Fastpasses at the new attractions.

Therefore, some formula (say 75%, but likely a variable formula) would have to be applied to restrict the number of xPasses made available for the marquee attractions. In my scenario above, I could envision 1000 Fastpasses being distibuted to Day guests at the new Fastpass/xPass attractions, and 750 xPasses being distributed at the marquee attractions.

awilliams4

This is just bad all the way around. It totally ruins the spontaneity of the vacation, whatever suit thought this was a good idea should rethink their career path. Now your going to create social classes between the guests in the park, this is just another way to increase revenue at the expense of the guest, and I hope it explodes in their face.

Creates social classes? If I spend $$$ a day on food, I get to eat at Le Cellier and Chef's de France. If you spend $ a day on food, you have to get hamburgers and hot dogs.

If I stay at BLT, I get to walk to the MK after a long day at the park, if you stay at the All Stars (or off site) to save money, you get a long trek home.

If I buy an Annual Pass, I get to go as many times as I want with Park Hopping Privileges. If you buy a 5 day non-park hopper, you are limited.

If I have $100 comfy shoes on, I don't have a blister at the end of the day, if you got your shoes out of a dumpster, you may.

How does X-Pass create social classes? Doesn't everything?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom