Jim Hill on XPass attraction line-up

RSoxNo1

If you think ANY movie is perfect, your judgement is suspect.

The Lion King is a good movie, but clearly your childhood experience has clouded your judgement. Like I said, I feel the same way about Star Wars. I know it's a goofy sci-fi movie. But it brings me back to when I was 7 and I loved it.

I read the article too. Thanks for the link.

Hill's reversal of his previous position gave me whiplash. I was amused that he berated people for complaining about the death of spontinaity after he started those fires burning with his initial articles. Could it be someone at Disney slapped his wrist?

This latest info sounds like a step in the right direction. Perhaps they used Hill to guage the reaction to the most extreme ideas about xPass (or whatever it will be called). They had to know the reaction would be negative. Especially with the spin Hill put on it. Or perhaps they wanted the negative reaction so people would be accepting when it came out and was free to all resort guests. Who knows.

All I know is I'm glad that the worst case scenario isn't going to play out. I'm back in "wait and see" mode.

Jim has said since the start that the product would premier in deluxe resorts and then ultimately be rolled out to everyone. We don't know if that part has changed.

What seems to have changed though is the cost. At first it was said that this would be a premium item, now - it appears that it isn't.

I wouldn't rule out that someone is slowly feeding Jim Hill information in order to gauge fan reaction, but if things are changing as a result of it, I'm definitely ok with that. I wish Disney would tease things through a few mouth pieces in order to gauge response.

I haven't talked to Jim directly about xPass since this article came out, but it definitely reads like he received some new information.

lebeau

Jim has said since the start that the product would premier in deluxe resorts and then ultimately be rolled out to everyone. We don't know if that part has changed.

What seems to have changed though is the cost. At first it was said that this would be a premium item, now - it appears that it isn't.

I wouldn't rule out that someone is slowly feeding Jim Hill information in order to gauge fan reaction, but if things are changing as a result of it, I'm definitely ok with that. I wish Disney would tease things through a few mouth pieces in order to gauge response.

I haven't talked to Jim directly about xPass since this article came out, but it definitely reads like he received some new information.

This is from the latest article:

This newly enhanced version of the Company's virtual queuing system -- just like FastPASS before it -- will be a freebie. Available to all WDW Guests in some way, shape or form

That says to me that it won't be Deluxe-only. Maybe at roll-out.

Frankly, this article was almost completely incongruous with Hill's original articles on the subject.

My impression is either Disney did a complete 180 very quickly or the negative reaction was planned from the outset.

I find the latter far more likely than the former. In a time of things like Occupy Wall Street, you would have to be an idiot to think that original plan was going to get anything other than a negative response.

HMButler79

Either Disney DID change thier tune or someone inside is feeding him bad info because why would he and/or Disney change thier story of how this is gonna work after weeks of hysteria? :shrug:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Either Disney DID change thier tune or someone inside is feeding him bad info because why would he and/or Disney change thier story of how this is gonna work after weeks of hysteria? :shrug:

Why did Disney change who was in charge of the Florida parks and add a rollercoaster to Fantasyland? I'm sure they gauge reactions by social media

MissMorrow

Okay so this tweaked version does sound better, but Jim just really doesn’t understand the spontaneity side of things. Maybe if I planned my vacations 6 months or a year out I wouldn’t really care, but for locals this could still be a nightmare should they never figure out what to do with the passholder/dvc problem or severely limit it the amount of xPasses we’re allowed. If they really want us to shut up, they should give us unlimited xPasses :lol:

And I’m curious about the quick service park of this. What is that going to be like? I’m assuming if I’m in Frontierland and want to have lunch at Cosmic Ray’s I can order my food on my phone and it will be ready when I get there. What if I decide I want to ride the Peoplemover as I’m walking over, I guess I can’t. Pesky spontaneity.
And yes I know I’ll more than likely still be able to order my food when I get there. I don’t have to use the new system. :rolleyes:

spaceghost

Okay so this tweaked version does sound better, but Jim just really doesn’t understand the spontaneity side of things. Maybe if I planned my vacations 6 months or a year out I wouldn’t really care, but for locals this could still be a nightmare should they never figure out what to do with the passholder/dvc problem or severely limit it the amount of xPasses we’re allowed. If they really want us to shut up, they should give us unlimited xPasses :lol:

And I’m curious about the quick service park of this. What is that going to be like? I’m assuming if I’m in Frontierland and want to have lunch at Cosmic Ray’s I can order my food on my phone and it will be ready when I get there. What if I decide I want to ride the Peoplemover as I’m walking over, I guess I can’t. Pesky spontaneity.
And yes I know I’ll more than likely still be able to order my food when I get there. I don’t have to use the new system. :rolleyes:

Well, now you're nitpicking, aren't you? So you are telling me that deciding to order lunch 30 minutes ahead of time is the death of spontaneity? This isn't making ADRs 180 days out. I really don't see the downside with the counter service idea. This seems like griping for the sake of griping to me...

ToTBellHop

Well, now you're nitpicking, aren't you? So you are telling me that deciding to order lunch 30 minutes ahead of time is the death of spontaneity? This isn't making ADRs 180 days out. I really don't see the downside with the counter service idea. This seems like griping for the sake of griping to me...
I agree. People are being ridiculous. I don't often say "I'm hungry, let's go to Cosmic Ray's" and then, half way there, say "you know what, I'm actually not that hungry, let's wait in line for the Speedway instead."

This doesn't kill spontaneity. You still have the right to go to Cosmic Ray's as you please and wait in line as you have for decades.

MissMorrow

I don't often say "I'm hungry, let's go to Cosmic Ray's" and then, half way there, say "you know what, I'm actually not that hungry, let's wait in line for the Speedway instead."
Um, I do that all the time. :lookaroun

I was attempting to be sarcastic. Apparently it didn’t work.

EvilQueen-T

how does a system like this handle no shows? how does something like this work when people can't get their travel times down to make it to their adr's as it is now??? i see visions of how it was when you were first able to make adr's online and people would book a ton of them "just in case" but never cancel ones they didn't plan to use.

flynnibus

Premium Member
how does a system like this handle no shows? how does something like this work when people can't get their travel times down to make it to their adr's as it is now??? i see visions of how it was when you were first able to make adr's online and people would book a ton of them "just in case" but never cancel ones they didn't plan to use.

It's already been discussed by JH that you would be very limited in the # of reservations you can make. So if true, that would address your concern. Sure they can not show up, but they don't have unlimited reservations so you wouldn't use the old adr trick as you described.

JustInTime

Just wanted to give an update! Magic Kingdom was offering Fastpasses for Wishes and Main Street Electric Parade last week when we were there. The CM even stated that it was a test.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom