Jim Hill discusses Disney's Jungle Trek

Oberon81

I wonder if as a marketing strategy they picked several different attraction based ideas, threw them all together with some design concepts and slapped the label of a 5th gate on it just to see what people thought of the separate ideas? Often when a marketing firm wishes to release a product they survey people with several different options. I wouldn't put it past Disney to "consider" an addition to Animal Kingdom such as the Beastly Kingdom by creating a false park to choose which attractions would suit the new addition best. Also, seeing as how people who travel overseas, theoretically visit Disney less that people state side, they would be the best audience for these new ideas. Yes the ideas seem far fetched together, however their intentions could be to separate the main idea into little ones. Just a thought.

Pete C

It does seem like a strange concept, however the idea of going through a river at night does sound really cool. During the day I am not so sure how unique it is. If it was really themed well and made the whole experience feel like you are playing an adventure game like Tomb Raider, for example, it could be really neat. The idea sounds fine, but it is too expensive. They could never throw something like this in an existing park because it would ruin the feeling of being on an adventure with a bunch of people standing around and goofing off. I think the idea here is to make your group feel isolated and thus drawn more into the atmosphere.

wesTcoastY

Is Disney aware of the severe economic crunch that most of this country is feeling?

If you are feeling a severe economic crunch at this time, then this concept is not intended for you.

We all know the rich are getting richer, so that is who this sort of theme attraction is aimed at.

Oberon81

Perhaps I might be placing this in the wrong thread, and maybe someone can direct me in the right place, but does anyone remember a dragon on the river cruise in AK when it first opened? I believe it was before the hot springs? Come to think of it, is the river cruise even still around? The last time I was there my wife and I didn't even see any signs for it.

Any way, even though AK is the largest park in land size, isn't it the smallest when it comes to Lands? And are they getting rid of Camp Minnie Mickey? As much as a fan of Beastly Kingdom as I am, I can't help but think that this Jungle Trek idea isn't targeted for AK more than a 5 gate. A 5th gate that includes the same thing as one of the parks just doesn't seem right.

Of course Disney World is a magical place and magic is all about misdirection so it really could be anything.

I disagree with most posters in that I think it sounds like a great idea - though I certainly wouldn't pay $300 for it.

However - surely the priority should be in doing something to DHS (which really needs an almost-complete overhaul) and expanding DAK a bit before this happens. Epcot's in pretty good shape but even MK needs a lot of attention - not necessarily new attractions, but a look at all the decaying stuff you see when you go on the Riverboat or the Railroad around the park can bring a tear to the eye of someone who's been visiting as long as I have. I wish they'd sort those things out before even thinking of this boutique park - but I guess as long as people keep on visiting the parks in the numbers they are, they don't think they need to change anything.

coasterphil

Doesn't sound nearly like it would be nearly as much fun as Discovery Cove is and would be more expensive at $300. I think if something similar ever does come to fruition I'll pass.

PeoplemoverTTA

I'm sure they'd probably do well with occupancy on this, but a little part of me believes they'd be setting themselves up for another Disney Institute scenario. "I can't believe I'm doing this".

I like your comparison of this to the Disney Institute...I hadn't thought of that one before.

Oberon81 said:
Perhaps I might be placing this in the wrong thread, and maybe someone can direct me in the right place, but does anyone remember a dragon on the river cruise in AK when it first opened? I believe it was before the hot springs? Come to think of it, is the river cruise even still around? The last time I was there my wife and I didn't even see any signs for it.

I'm pretty sure it's closed. I don't think I ever got to ride that, and I believe I've seen characters on the boat riding to a meet and greet area in the morning. Is that the same boat and river (I think it is, but I'm not sure)?

Oberon81

I'm pretty sure it's closed. I don't think I ever got to ride that, and I believe I've seen characters on the boat riding to a meet and greet area in the morning. Is that the same boat and river (I think it is, but I'm not sure)?

We went to AK when it first opened and I remember being able to ride those boats. The big deal was that you got to see a dragon or a cave with a dragon something like that before the hot springs. I know I have a photo of the hot springs. Even the logo on the park map had a dragon on it. I'm still going to hope that one day we will be able to visit the beastly kingdom. It would make good competition with Harry Potter only in the sense of imagery, but not idea.

Thurp

The river boat attraction is no longer open. It was rather short lived.

This is the closest thing to a picture of a dragon that I was able to find on Google:
cmmcavefirems0.jpg

RandySavage

^ I rode the river during the 1998 previews. There was never an animatronic dragon on Discovery Riverboats... just a blast of fire from that cave.

Brian Noble

Spend the money on the current parks.
From a fan's perspective, sure. But, from Disney's perspective, is that really where the best return on investment is going to come from?

Add to that the fact that if there is one thing the Mouse hates, it's someone horning in on his tourists' dollars. It must drive Mickey crazy that Discovery Cove exists, without any direct competition from WDW.

sassytink03

Here is my problem with Jungle Trek...number one is the money. I realize that there are a lot of people out there that can afford to do this, but in reality, how many will? Especially with all the different animal experiences there are throughout America.

Number two..time. If this park is going to be so fantastic, is 5 hours really enough time to see it all or is this Disney's way of making sure you have to come back to the park?

Number three..Disney is closing PI claiming that it isn't "family friendly" enough. But they are opening a place that certainly doesn't appeal to the younger crowd. I have two kids ages 8 and 6 that wouldn't enjoy that stuff. They would be too scared. Some of the stuff they have planned is just silly. Ziplining over crocodiles? Probably a weight and height requirement for that one. And what about hand feeding hippos? Aren't they one of the most aggressive animals in Africa? That sounds like something I want my small child to do. Or being in a cave with bats? Can't imagine the smell or mess in there. Disney keeps trying to fix things that aren't broken. They are closing a great place and opening a silly park.

I agree with all the other posters that say that this money is best spent at the existing parks adding new rides or bringing back beloved old ones.

raven

Someone posted a thread that contained information from a survey they recieved about the subject...that thread mysteriously vanished not long after it was started.

And there's a WDWMagic tie in to the article.

JHM links to the post in Micechat which credits WDWMagic with breaking the story. (which was deleted - oh the irony)

It's absolutely lame that Jim took info from here and pretended to have inside info again. He even talked about reaching out to UK visitors. :ROFLOL: I'm not a Jim basher and enjoy some of his info, but this isn't one of them.

Exactlt. Seems Jim has to see what everyone else is chatting about first before he makes his own posts. That way there is a little credibility to it and he can say he got it from another site. Heck, if it's that easy then we should really start some rumors!

Hey Jim! The monorail will be expanded in 2012 to link the other parks!

krankenstein

Original Poster
supposivly?

I'm sorry if my minor spelling mistake caused you any problems with reading the thread. I will do everything within my power to be absolutely perfect in the future. I would never wish to inhibit your ability to understand the discussion. :rolleyes:

By the way, I fixed the error.

markjohns1

I'm going to go against popular opinion and say that I think the idea of Jungle Trek could definitely be quite compelling. I will also point out that I definitely could not afford something like this unless I specifically saved for it. This type of park fills a niche that none of the other parks fill. It sounds a lot like an Adventures by Disney experience for those who are not adventurous enough to actually travel to those far off places, or those who want that kind of experience while being immersed in WDW. When compared to to the cost of an Adventures by Disney experience, this is far cheaper.

As far as the cost, yes it is expensive. There's no denying that. The cost per hour may not be as outrageous as some are thinking though, as some experiences already meet or exceed that price point. I immediately thought of La Nouba, which is about 2 hours total. Ticket prices range from $65-$114, which is between $30-$60 per hour. The "Rookie" Richard Petty Experience costs $400, and it is a three-hour program (although it appears it takes an hour or two longer than that). The Jungle Trek will be at the $60 per hour price point if the tickets do indeed cost $300 and the experience lasts 5 hours, and the price point and duration are definitely subject to change.

It's interesting that some are claiming that Jungle Trek is run-of-the-mill or not unique. First of all, we have very little information on what will be in the park, and the zipline and rope bridge would be only two elements of the entire experience. I think what will set this park apart is the way WDI incorporates storytelling into the experience.

As an example, AC is constantly cited as this incredibly unique, amazing, "Disney" experience. But if you simply look at what the AC offers, especially when breaking it down with a negative view in the first place, it doesn't sound very unique on paper. A club with comedians is nothing new. A club with singing and other kinds of entertainment is nothing new. Creating an environment that fosters audience participation is nothing new. Even the decor has likely been seen before in other clubs. But when you combine all of those elements and add the details and storytelling that Disney is known for, it becomes that unique, amazing, "Disney" experience. Why jump to conclusions on Jungle Trek? Besides, this sounds right up Joe Rhode's alley.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom