Jim Hill discusses Disney's Jungle Trek

krankenstein

Original Poster
I thought I would give everyone a heads up that Jim Hill has an article up about Disney's Jungle Trek.

In case you haven't heard, it is supposedly the working title of the new niche park Disney is thinking about creating to compete with Discovery Cove over at Sea World. Someone posted a thread that contained information from a survey they recieved about the subject...that thread mysteriously vanished not long after it was started.

Here is the link to Jim's latest article:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/08/21/say-nighty-night-to-night-kingdom-and-jambo-to-disney-s-jungle-trek.aspx

As Jim would say, "your thoughts?"

bugsbunny

As I stated in the other thread that mysteriously vanished: NFW am I spending $900 so me, my wife, and my son can trek through a 5 hour make believe safari....and probably get teamed up with 5 screaming over priviliged kids from a yuppie family! Some families aren't spending $900 for their ENTIRE STAY at WDW.

Don't get me wrong, the idea and concept sound awesome and I would love to do it. Just not for that kind of money. I'm no cheapskate when it comes to WDW. I go 2 or 3 times a year, if I can, and stay 5 days minimum. This time, I'm staying for 10 days at the Wilderness Lodge.

So its not like I don't have the money or couldn't afford it, but thats actually the ironic point to it. If you target the upper class to try and get them to come to WDW, then what do you do with them after you get them there for the 1 day? If they weren't coming for the other 4 parks, I can't see how you can entice someone to fly down for a 5 hour adventure? But then again, i don't work in marketing and I do know some people book travel just to impress their friends. ;)

Seeing how people are backlashing about having to pay over $70/day just to get into the parks, I can't see paying 4 or 5 times that for a 5 hour park. :shrug:

wickedsoccer22

My father was surveyed for Night Kingdom in July of 2007 at Epcot and they presented the concept in the old MetLife offices in the Wonders of Life pavilion and he said that there are very small differences between the two concepts. This version is just more detailed than the original. Of course the fact that it wont be only at night is a rather big one, but it still sounds the same with the option of going on the trek or experiencing the cultures of the world hands on.

Desperad07

Is Disney aware of the severe economic crunch that most of this country is feeling? Sure this thing wouldn't be finished until presumably we're out of a recession. But there's some long lasting ramifications of current economic issues (i.e. foreclosures, gas prices) that are not going to completely go away. I just think it's a little abusrd to contemplate a high-end venture like this. If anything they should be working on ways to bring people in in a more efficient way for both the company and the guest!!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
As was discussed a few months ago when this concept first floated in our circles....it doesn't have to appeal to everyone. It is also not targeted to an client base that has to save every penny to visit Disney once a decade. Look at the money shelled out for DVC...and Disney is building additional facilities as fast as they can. Deluxe resorts are still nearly always sold out. Concierge is regularly full. For a majority of Disney visitors, deluxes would never be considered...and many say as bugsbunny N*W to concierge...but they are always full.

From the earlier JH article, he discussed a hypothetical financial model for success of this park. You don't need 20,000 people to make it a success.
Simply put, it just does not have to appeal to all, or even most Disney visitors to be a great success.

Jerriko

This is an utterly rediculous idea for a park....there is absolutely NO reason to add another park to Florida.. :brick: This money should be put into the parks that are already built and established. What gets me is there seems to always be cutbacks on new attractions or refurbs then they go and "Hey look we have 500 million dollars sitting here..lets make a new park.. "

The people who thought of this idea should be fired immediately

Chris
:fork:

imagineer boy

There's simply nothing new or original of the jungle trek other than it costs alot of money to get in. To me it's just a cross between World Showcase, Adventureland, and Animal Kingdom. Why pay lots of money for it when you can simply visit the exact same in other parts of WDW?

Besides, I don't think that even Disney can top Discovery Cove when trying to do somthing similar. Why? Because you're swimming with Dolphins! You really can't top that.

MousDad

Ladies and Gentleman: I present to you - THE 5TH GATE DOWNER!

Holey moley, the 5th gate - the nirvana for Disney enthusiasts - the mere mention of which sends spine-tingly shivers down the Fanboy's back...

AND WE GET THIS?!!!!!!!!!!

The first thought that has entered my mind when I have read anything about Night Kingdom and/or Jungle Trek is "Why are these not being planned as additions to Animal Kingdom?"

Of all the creative, original, mind-blowing ideas they could come up with for a 5th gate (or a boutique park for that matter), they come up with something that should be in one of their existing parks? That would make AK one of the greatest theme parks on earth? For pete's sake, leave AK open past 6:00 and put this stuff there!

I know, I know, NK/JT a niche park and not a 5th gate proper. But if it comes, I venture to say it'll be the only 5th gate FL will be getting in decades. You think they're planning a whole new park at the same time rolling this puppy out?

I echo the sentiments that the brainparents of this project should have their offices rebuilt into homeless shelters, where the space will accomplish something useful. This is an absolute joke.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And there's a WDWMagic tie in to the article.

JHM links to the post in Micechat which credits WDWMagic with breaking the story. (which was deleted - oh the irony)

bugsbunny

Ladies and Gentleman: I present to you - THE 5TH GATE DOWNER!

Holey moley, the 5th gate - the nirvana for Disney enthusiasts - the mere mention of which sends spine-tingly shivers down the Fanboy's spine...

AND WE GET THIS?!!!!!!!!!!

The first thought that has entered my mind when I have read anything about Night Kingdom and/or Jungle Trek is "Why are these not being planned as additions to Animal Kingdom?"

Of all the creative, original, mind-blowing ideas they could come up with for a 5th gate, they come up with something that should be in one of their existing parks? That would make AK one of the greatest theme parks on earth? For pete's sake, leave AK open past 6:00 and put this stuff there!

I know, I know, NK/JT a niche park and not a 5th gate proper. But if it comes, I venture to say it'll be the only 5th gate FL will be getting in decades. You think they're planning a whole new park at the same time rolling this puppy out?

I echo the sentiments that the brainparents of this project should have their offices rebuilt into homeless shelters, where the space will accomplish something useful. This is an absolute joke.

5th gate? Where? I concur with your sentiment! All I see is a "members only" boutique adventure. "Members only" being people who have ridiculous disposable income and apparent financial security far beyond the average hard working American. But since the dollar is crap against other currencies, that might also explain why they are surveying in the UK and probably other foreign locales.

I'm not bragging here (simply trying to reinforce my point), but I make in the low 6 figures and I simply cannot bring myself to spend $300/head for a 5 hour thingy. And the only reason I'm staying at Deluxe hotels anymore is simply because I cannot take the chaos of the food courts at the Values and I don't like the Moderates where you get off the bus and still have a 2 mile walk to your room. But would I spend $400/night to stay at the Yacht Club versus paying $250/night to stat at the Wilderness Lodge? When I close my eyes at night to go to sleep, the rooms all look the same to me. ;)

It sounds like a great adventure, but I just can't see how it can be that exciting or overwhelming except maybe if you live a real sheltered life and don't get out much. I need rides and stimulating entertainment, not a walkthrough safari and some "walking over columns" knowing there is no real danger. That really doesn't excite me or get my blood pumping. I've been a firefighter for 15 years and perceived danger aint going to cut it for me. :lol:

MousDad

5th gate? Where? I concur with your sentiment! All I see is a "members only" boutique adventure. "Members only" being people who have ridiculous disposable income and apparent financial security far beyond the average hard working American. But since the dollar is crap against other currencies, that might also explain why they are surveying in the UK and probably other foreign locales.

I'm not bragging here (simply trying to reinforce my point), but I make in the low 6 figures and I simply cannot bring myself to spend $300/head for a 5 hour thingy. And the only reason I'm staying at Deluxe hotels anymore is simply because I cannot take the chaos of the food courts at the Values and I don't like the Moderates where you get off the bus and still have a 2 mile walk to your room. But would I spend $400/night to stay at the Yacht Club versus paying $250/night to stat at the Wilderness Lodge? When I close my eyes at night to go to sleep, the rooms all look the same to me. ;)

It sounds like a great adventure, but I just can't see how it can be that exciting or overwhelming except maybe if you live a real sheltered life and don't get out much. I need rides and stimulating entertainment, not a walkthrough safari and some "walking over columns" knowing there is no real danger. That really doesn't excite me or get my blood pumping. I've been a firefighter for 15 years and perceived danger aint going to cut it for me. :lol:

The price adds insult to injury, yes; but what I'm more bothered about is that it belongs in an existing park.

Sure, SeaWorld can get away with a regular park and a boutique park of the same theme, because that's all they do. The lack of creativity here is what bugs me the most.

Ausdaddy

I said this in the now abducted thread, but I'm just not sure about the appeal of fake ruins and the like. To MousDad's point, it sounds awfully contrived in some ways.

durangojim

I hate to say it, but this sounds like flop to me. If they really wanted to make some kind of high end boutique park, they should do so by creating a new ultra luxury resort within the 5th park that the guests stay at for the night preceding or proceding their adventure in the new park, and personally, the jungle or animal theme doesn't do it for me. I don't know, I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Ausdaddy

It's absolutely lame that Jim took info from here and pretended to have inside info again. He even talked about reaching out to UK visitors. :ROFLOL: I'm not a Jim basher and enjoy some of his info, but this isn't one of them.

If Disney wants a 5th gate boutique park to compete with Discovery Cove, why not just buy the Sea World parks from InBev? Now that they've purchased AB, I'm sure that Disney would be able to buy this brand at a fair market price. And as a bonus, Disney would then have properties in several US cities that they don't have an entertainment presence in (not to mention the Sea World development in the UAE). I have to agree with the above statements that JT or NK (or whatever name they want to call it) is better left as an addition to AK as premium experiences that cost a little extra like the backstage tours.

Thurp

I agree with many of the above sentiments.

If the company REALLY wants to go with a boutique park, make it a unique experience, some theme that cannot be found anywhere else and that makes you realize that this is a Disney experience. Jungle/animals? That's about as generic as you can get. They not only have the AK next door, but there is BG, SW, Gatorland and a multitude of zoos and safari experiences through the country.

I want something magical, so to speak. I want to be taken away to a new world.

Spyne

I don't know...I'm very on the fence about this. I don't know if it's a good or bad idea. But I agree with some wondering if WDW even needs a fifth park right now. But still; I'll keep an open mind I guess.

MiklCraw4d

Please finish DHS.
Please finish DAK.

Then we'll talk.

I agree with the sentiment that this should be an addition to DAK and not a separate location on property. I know they want a boutique park but this all sounds pretty run of the mill.

I'm sure they'd probably do well with occupancy on this, but a little part of me believes they'd be setting themselves up for another Disney Institute scenario. "I can't believe I'm doing this".

It's been 20 years since they've added anything to World Showcase. It's been 16 years since MK has had a new E-ticket. Time to in-fill, guys...

This seems a terrible concept for Disney's premium boutique park.

Surely a boutique park has to offer something that sounds totally unique or once in a lifetime experience. However they try to market it, walking over a rope bridge whilst looking at animals just doesn't sound unique.

Zip wires whilst fun will not make this a unique experience. The shameful thing is this whole concept would be awesome if designed as an attraction in AK park.

Saying that I'm not sure what unique theme Disney could come up with for a boutique park. For many people just visiting Disney World is a unique experience in it's self so I just can't see what would be worth an extra $300.

If I take just one of the existing parks - MK - the themeing, experiences it offers, the magic, the fun and the excitement all for $75 then it makes $300 a stupid amount for a walk on a rope bridge and down a zip wire. At least lunch/dinner will be included I suppose.

Nebrfan

I don't have a problem with Disney doing this-- like another poster said, they are not marketing this to the average tourist coming through the turnstiles. But from reading this brief story, this does not appear to be worth anything close to $300 per person. We're a family who may (I repeat may) be able to do something like this once, but if I was spending $1,200 I would much rather swim with the dolphins. Even then, my teenage boys would probable insist that it isn't worth it. Disney better have some out of this world ideas or this may not work.

Also, I'm no expert but only $250 million to build an entire park? Shouldn't there be another zero behind that if it's going to be worthwhile. I normally think Disney knows what they're doing, but based on the initial impression I don't know that this will be a great idea. Maybe there's more to it than our initial information. We'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom