Jealousy Of The Deluxe Resorters...

Magenta Panther

Yeah, that's right, I said it. I am jealous. I totally wish I had the cash for it. My life long dream has been to stay at the Grand Floridian. Maybe one day...in the very distant future. For now, all I can afford is a moderate hotel. I am thinking Port Orleans Riverside.

POR looks to be the nicest looking, in my opinion. It has the charm I am looking for, for sure. Only... It is so darn enormous! I'll have to rent a bike to get to the bus stop. (and I heard the bus system is atrocious) (Confirm/Deny). I would much rather take the monorail.

All you Deluxers... You've got it good. ;)

Disclaimer: This is not really a rant more than a tease. I have a weird sense of humor that burdens me and I hate that I have to explain myself most of the time but in order for people not to think I'm an A**, it is a must. =D Carry on.

I stayed at POR a couple of years ago, and yes, it's very pretty, lots of atmosphere, but it KILLED my feet. All that freaking walking, just to get to breakfast at the food court! Plus, while it's pretty, it wasn't a "fantasy" kind of pretty, at least not to me. I won't book there again.

mouse_luv

Have a pin code for Aug 17th.. Have to change my trip until August :( thinking of using the code to finally stay at a deluxe! Hoping August 17th is a good time to go!
DBF and I went 2 years ago around the time you are thinking of going and it was great. It was very hot and even with high SPF sunblock on I was instantly sunburnt. But other than that, the crowds are decent and we had a lovely time.

prfctlyximprct

DBF and I went 2 years ago around the time you are thinking of going and it was great. It was very hot and even with high SPF sunblock on I was instantly sunburnt. But other than that, the crowds are decent and we had a lovely time.

I went in August nine years ago and remember it being soooo hot! I'm glad to hear you had a great time!! I'm hoping trading the tour groups from July for the heat of August will be a positive trade. I'm so excited!! Will make sure to bring lots of sunscreen. I'm hoping there aren't too many crowds!

MKforReal

Original Poster
I stayed at POR a couple of years ago, and yes, it's very pretty, lots of atmosphere, but it KILLED my feet. All that freaking walking, just to get to breakfast at the food court! Plus, while it's pretty, it wasn't a "fantasy" kind of pretty, at least not to me. I won't book there again.

Yeah, all the walking is what I'm worried about, but I am going to try and get a preferred room. Luckily, I am looking for charm, not fantasy. :) I don't want to feel like I'm in a Disney movie. Just me though. :)

71dsp

I used to be happy with cheap hotel rooms when I traveled. Then I started traveling with my wife. She's a hotel snob, and has pretty much turned me into one as well. :)

Our first WDW trip, we got a fantastic deal (40% off) and stayed at AKL. We were hooked on deluxe resorts afterward, and we only do deluxe resorts now (despite rising prices, ugh). Even on other vacations we only stay at nice places, and I have to admit, I like it. I've stayed at the $40 a night hotels, and I'm happy to pay the extra for a nicer place. :)

TNDisneyNut

Yeah, that's right, I said it. I am jealous. I totally wish I had the cash for it. My life long dream has been to stay at the Grand Floridian. Maybe one day...in the very distant future. For now, all I can afford is a moderate hotel. I am thinking Port Orleans Riverside.

POR looks to be the nicest looking, in my opinion. It has the charm I am looking for, for sure. Only... It is so darn enormous! I'll have to rent a bike to get to the bus stop. (and I heard the bus system is atrocious) (Confirm/Deny). I would much rather take the monorail.

Disclaimer: This is not really a rant more than a tease. I have a weird sense of humor that burdens me and I hate that I have to explain myself most of the time but in order for people not to think I'm an A**, it is a must. =D Carry on.
I have stayed at the moderates and deluxe, but the first time at a deluxe due to a Disney screw-up and they moved us to the Contemporary from ASM. I was ruined after that! However, my next was POFQ and I loved it. The theming was exceptional and had, to me, many of the amenities comparable to a deluxe. The smaller size is what means a lot to me. I walk all day in the parks so walking at the resorts is not my cup of tea. I would pick POFQ over POR any day mainly for this reason. I chose my first "paid for" deluxe, WL, for the same reason. We don't visit WDW as much as some so I have splurged a couple times, but I would rather go value and be able to go than not get to go! I think you will love a moderate! It seems there is always a place nicer than where we can afford. I don't guess Ill ever see the Grand Floridian or Poly from the inside! LOL

JeffnPa

Our first family trip we stayed at AS Movies. nice resort get what you pay for, Lots and lots of people food court packed, felt crowded. 2 years ago we upgraded to Beach club and loved it. worth the extra $$ to have less people and within walking distance from Epcot and DHS, many transportation options. THis year (May) we are returning to Beach club but are doing a Villa since our mother in law is joining.

Pocahontas

Guilty... I would consider myself a bit of a snob. Haven't stayed anywhere but Deluxe. It kind of makes the experience for me.
I would like to try a moderate sometime to compare and maybe save some money :)

sweetpea904

My family and I stayed there in July 2012 and LOVED it! Never had a problem with the buses. Food Court was GREAT, my daughter LOVED the pool and the pool bar was great as well. I saved up and paid the extra for a Royal Guest Room with a river view. Luckily, I am a Florida resident and they were running a great special on the resorts. We stayed in a building right next to the main building so the closeness to the pool, eat and the buses was not an issue. Just a short walk over the bridge to and from the room. It was so quiet, serene, nice and just laid back. If you are concerned about a long walk, just get a preferred room or call and asked to be in a building that is close to the pool/food court. I believe there are bus stops through out the property, not just the one by the main building that we used. I recommend this resort hands down. We are staying at French Quarter this June for our annual Disney World vacation and I cannot wait. You will LOVE the water taxi service from the resort to/from Downtown Disney. Only POR, POFQ, OKW and SSR are on the river for this awesome service. Each resort has a few boats so you don't have to worry about sharing unless the boat is picking up dropping off at POR/POFQ. You can use the amenities at BOTH resorts so it's a WIN WIN!

JillC LI

I stayed once at CSR for the trip we took at Easter. I think CSR is the most picturesque, serene of all the disney resorts. I stayed in the Cabana section and the walk to the bus stop, the big pool, a quiet pool, or the food courts were short. I loved the hammocks on the sandy beach.

That's what I love about CBR. That and the steel drum music.

Cinders66

It's a slippery slope, we stayed at a moderate for our first trip in 1994, Dixie Landing/POR and it was nice but Wilderness Lodge was brand new and we said "next year we're staying there." Once we went deluxe we never wanted to stay anything but deluxe. Now we only stay on the monorail, DW &DS won't stay anywhere else.
I agree we stayed at the C. Beach a number of years ago and dreamt of staying at a deluxe resort, we saved for 3 years and finally stayed at the Yacht Club, we have never looked back. It is fantastic, this year will be our 3rd visit to the YC. We save desperately for 2 or 3 years between trips. It's worth it. I add myself to the 'deluxe snob club'.

sweetpea904

My family and I stayed at CBR back in August 2013 in Jamaica and loved it as well. I hate that it gets so many bad reviews. It really is a great resort. Never had an issues with the buses and the staff and food court is wonderful. Plus, it has one of the best pools on property. My daughter LOVED the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!

GTIDMB

I like all categories of resorts for different reasons. There is nothing wrong with value and moderate resorts, but I've also grown to love deluxe resorts. When my wife and I first started making yearly trips to WDW, we had the same mindset about deluxe resorts - it would be awesome but we'll never be able to afford it. And we were ok with that. However, we started renting DVC points a few years ago and we've been hooked ever since. We just rent points for a studio villa, which is essentially a glorified hotel room. The cost every time has come out to almost exactly the same as if we would have booked a moderate room directly through Disney, and in some cases even cheaper! We have now stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge (savannah view), Old Key West, Beach Club, and this summer we're staying at Boardwalk. We never would have been able to afford any of those resorts if we paid Disney's rack rates. Renting DVC points is definitely the way to go to experience deluxe resorts at a moderate price. We are also trying to stay at every resort at least once. I think we're about halfway there.

stevehousse

Yes, if u want to stay deluxe definitely rent points! We r looking into renting points to stay at grand Floridian villas next time. Booking the trip through Disney and that's something I would never pay! Renting points however was almost literally half off of what Disney was quoting!

slappy magoo

My family and I stayed at CBR back in August 2013 in Jamaica and loved it as well. I hate that it gets so many bad reviews. It really is a great resort. Never had an issues with the buses and the staff and food court is wonderful. Plus, it has one of the best pools on property. My daughter LOVED the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!
My sister's family were routine CBR guests for years, they'd never stay anywhere else. Her husband even had a specific preferred room that he felt was the perfect distance between main room, pool and bus stop. Then one year they stayed at PO-R and it was like a veil was lifted over their eyes. Granted, it's still a moderate, but with bigger beds and just something different. This year, they're staying with their daughter and her new husband, who just bought DVC points, at VAK; I fear there will be no going back :D

stevehousse

If u can afford to pay moderate hotel prices, u can afford to stay at a villa studio for the same price. I again, seriously suggest this! It's costing me 250 a night to stay at grand Floridian villa studio vs the 511 Disney website is charging!

morningstar

If u can afford to pay moderate hotel prices, u can afford to stay at a villa studio for the same price. I again, seriously suggest this! It's costing me 250 a night to stay at grand Floridian villa studio vs the 511 Disney website is charging!

Hmm, is that really true? As far as I can tell, renting DVC points can work out to about $200 a night at the lowest. Am I right or does is it possible to get it cheaper than that? Low-season moderates are ~$150 a night. And that's not counting "special offers", like room discount or free dining, which I presume you can't get with DVC point rental. I mean it's not a huge jump, but it still adds up to a chunk of change over a week or more stay.

stevehousse

Most regular non discounted rooms for moderates average about 250 give or take the season. U are not able to get the free dining promos with it, but u certainly can have it added no problem. If u check certain website u can find people willing to go as low as 10-12 dollars a point! But again, u need to make sure u r dealing with someone reputable. David's site is great and he charges 14 a point.

Obi

*raises hand* turned into a deluxe resort snob.....

will be renting points to stay at the boardwalk for the disneymoon in october...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom