Jealousy Of The Deluxe Resorters...

Weather_Lady

Yeah, that's right, I said it. I am jealous. I totally wish I had the cash for it. My life long dream has been to stay at the Grand Floridian. Maybe one day...in the very distant future. For now, all I can afford is a moderate hotel. I am thinking Port Orleans Riverside.

POR looks to be the nicest looking, in my opinion. It has the charm I am looking for, for sure. Only... It is so darn enormous! I'll have to rent a bike to get to the bus stop. (and I heard the bus system is atrocious) (Confirm/Deny). I would much rather take the monorail.

All you Deluxers... You've got it good. ;)

Disclaimer: This is not really a rant more than a tease. I have a weird sense of humor that burdens me and I hate that I have to explain myself most of the time but in order for people not to think I'm an A**, it is a must. =D Carry on.

I know how you feel. I envy those who can speak (write) so casually about their multiple stays in deluxe resorts, when the cost of one night at those places -- pin code or no -- is more than our monthly mortgage payment. Notwithstanding the fact that I am a lawyer with a decent salary and that our family lives an extremely frugal lifestyle, a week in a deluxe at standard rates would bankrupt us! (*Disclaimer: We are, however, about to find out how the other half lives -- we're staying in a 2-bedroom villa at the Wilderness Lodge on our next trip. Between renting DVC points and splitting the cost with relatives who are traveling with us, we're paying the same amount we'd pay to stay at a standard room in a moderate resort. If you want to "go deluxe," renting DVC points is the cheapest way to go!!! We went through David's DVC rentals, but the rates per point are the same with David's as with the other couple of reputable rental places you've seen talked about here.)

PORS is a beautiful resort and one I think you should consider despite its size and the rumors of "bad bus service". (Frankly, every resort has such rumors attached to it. There's always somebody who has a bad experience.) We stayed there in October 2012 and had terrific bus service, waiting less than 10 minutes for our desired bus from the resort just about every time. If you don't want to have to wander hither and yon, either pay for a "preferred" building close to the food court/front desk/main bus depot, or do as we did and simply request one of the non-preferrred buildings that is closest. (We stayed in Alligator Bayou, Building 17, just 5 minutes away from the main building and a quick 3-minute cut-across-the-parking-lot walk to the main bus depot). Our room in Alligator Bayou was freshly refurbished, and certainly felt deluxe to us!

durangojim

For those of us who view the resort as part of the vacation and destination, a deluxe is totally worth it. I will say that I would never stay at one if I was paying rack rates, as it's just not worth it to me. I know from my perspective that when we stay at a deluxe, our vacation is much more relaxing and just has a different vibe than when we've stayed at other resorts. When we stay at Pop it feels like a much more rushed vacation. If you can figure out some way to stay at a deluxe, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Last edited:

PartOfYourWorld

For those of use who view the resort as part of the vacation and destination, a deluxe is totally worth it. I will say that I would never stay at one if I was paying rack rates, as it's just not worth it to me. I know from my perspective that when we stay at a deluxe, our vacation is much more relaxing and just has a different vibe than when we've stayed at other resorts. When we stay at Pop it feels like a much more rushed vacation. If you can figure out some way to stay at a deluxe, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

I have to agree with this, I find since staying at a deluxe resort...(yep I have stayed at all the values and a few moderates and since I've gone Deluxe I haven't looked back since...oops) you do alot more relaxing. Definitely

JillC LI

Not me. Never had any jealousy about it. Could save a little longer and do it if we wanted to, but it never was a high priority. I would rather stay at a Value or a Mod and save the cash for other trips. For example, when we travelled to the Canadian Rockies and on an African Safari, we stayed in 5 star accommodations, but I couldn't care less about staying at a Deluxe at WDW as long as my room is clean and I can sleep comfortably since that's all I'll be doing there.

jlsHouston

It will still be very hot, but less crowded since many southern school systems (including local FL) will have started. That is a great price if you can go.

We have been going for a couple of summers now in late July/early Aug...I think I will go ahead and reserve it rather than lose this pin code. Even if I were fortunate enough to buy points at $14 for VGF for that week, it would only come out about $ 100 cheaper than this pin code rate. I may never have another opportunity...I just hope I stay busy and make commissions so I can continue to afford these splurges to WDW...

Skibum1970

Jealousy, thy color is green. Well, paint me emerald green, then. I stayed once at the Contemporary Resort for a convention (company sponsored) and once at Wilderness Lodge (three day vacation). I recently made my reservations for Coronado and have stayed at PORS in the past. For the past week, I've tried to figure out how to come up with $800 to cover the WL stay but can't squeeze blood from the turnip. So, yes. I'm jealous. To sate my envious self, my wife and I will spend time at the WL and Contemporary to feel like we were there. We also do walkthroughs on the Grand Flo and Poly as we do the monorail tour.

However, I do enjoy saving the money by staying at the moderates with a discounted room. They are themed nice and have a great atmosphere. Plus, they have nice walking paths that invite us to exercise and enjoy the surroundings. I prefer walking at the resorts as it is a way to escape the crowds of the parks. My wife is a little put off by Coronado as she loved PORS but I hope that it all works out.

durangojim

Not me. Never had any jealousy about it. Could save a little longer and do it if we wanted to, but it never was a high priority. I would rather stay at a Value or a Mod and save the cash for other trips. For example, when we travelled to the Canadian Rockies and on an African Safari, we stayed in 5 star accommodations, but I couldn't care less about staying at a Deluxe at WDW as long as my room is clean and I can sleep comfortably since that's all I'll be doing there.
Exactly, I find that people who just use the room to sleep and shower in, don't need or want more than a value.
For me though, I want someplace where I can rent a cabana and have some drinks while I'm lying on a lounger, or have the ability to walk to World Showcase for a Grand Marnier slush:D
And I don't think there's anything wrong with either of us!

JillC LI

Exactly, I find that people who just use the room to sleep and shower in, don't need or want more than a value.
For me though, I want someplace where I can rent a cabana and have some drinks while I'm lying on a lounger, or have the ability to walk to World Showcase for a Grand Marnier slush:D
And I don't think there's anything wrong with either of us!

Makes perfect sense!

draybook

No jealousy here. I'd like to stay at the deluxe resorts one day, but it's not something I'll stress over. We use the room to do the four S's; sleep, shower, swim and you can figure out the other "s". I don't care what kind of amenities there are, it's hard to justify $300+ a night for any hotel room.

MKforReal

Original Poster
Well, I don't blame the "deluxe snobs" one bit! I'd be one too! (And with enough determination, I will be!)

That sad but true story is that I am pretty darn poor (and I'm not just saying I can't afford to go to the movies a lot. I mean like that 138% under the poverty level who worry about day to day life). In reality I should feel lucky I'm even going, and should be ecstatic I'm getting to stay at a moderate. Heh.

I very much am one of those individuals who consider.the resort part of the entire experience. I want to be emerged, darnit! Really, though, I
want to be able to feel wealthy and treated like a queen for at least a little while.

LucyK

I see it as trade really.

Can I afford two weeks at a deluxe resort? yep, I can. But why would I do that if I can use the same amount of money towards a four week long vacation with 12 nights at a moderate PLUS more 12 nights at Royal Pacific? I priced a 12 day stay at the Beach Club and I'm still paying U$340 less on our moderate plus RPH than I would have to pay at BC!

Maybe one day I'll be happy staying for a single week at WDW and I'll bite the bullet and stay at a deluxe resort. But till then that's how I choose to spend my money and I'm pretty happy with it.

MKforReal

Original Poster
The lower end resorts at WDW don't have room service???

Heh. I'm not exactly sure. All of the deluxe resorts include room service in the "services provided" category, while the moderates don't. I'm a bit confused about it, to be honest.

lostpro9het

Deluxe snob, I don't know. We stayed at POR and found it ok, then stayed at POP for four separate visits and LOVED it! Then we rented points for AKL SV, for practically the same per/night cost as rack "value", and haven't looked back! I was blown away by the amenity differences. I too was once in the "I'm only gonna SSS there" boat until AKL made me, my DW and DD do a 180 about what a disney resort can offer. It was nearly to the point this past Christmas where my DD wanted to spend more time at AKL then at the park! Between practically living with the animals, the amazing pools and all the activities she had as much fun as she did at the parks! We got lucky enough to score a few nights in May at BWV, again nearly at the same price as rack rate "value". We have been slowly trying to experience all the DVC deluxes as we are seriously close to pulling the trigger on purchasing our own DVC and have been very fortunate to benefit from a great member here, disney Dave and the dvcrentalstore to make it possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom