Jasmine's new look

Bocabear

Had they put M&G by the Aladdin ride in Magic Kingdom, I might agree with you, but that's not the case here. By putting Princess Jasmine in the Morocco pavilion, she becomes 1. a living, breathing version of that character (fantasy or otherwise). and 2. a representation of that specific culture, Morocco being majority Arab and majority Muslim. Without any sort of accuracy, it becomes parody and a false representation of the culture, that the pavilion itself is designed to represent. Recall that the Morocco pavilion in particular was sponsored by the King Hassan II/ govt of Morocco and built by their artisans; the pavilion sets the cultural standard.
Again, they are not saying Jasmine is actually from Morocco... She is just meeting on the esplanade near the building that most represent the settings from her story. She should in no way conform to the cultural norms of Morocco...because she is a fictional character from a fictional land... That would be like having Snow White do a meet and Greet outside of Germany and making her wear absolutely authentic 17th century costuming because that is what they wore then... Something that looks nothing like the film character....and while we are at it, her hair was NEVER historically accurate as Bobbed hair came in the 20th Century...unless she was a novice in a nunnery, she would have had long hair... You can't impose real world values and cultures on fictional fairytale characters... They should be as they are... not conforming to 21st century cultures from a real world country they do not inhabit.

Incomudro

Again, they are not saying Jasmine is actually from Morocco... She is just meeting on the esplanade near the building that most represent the settings from her story. She should in no way conform to the cultural norms of Morocco...because she is a fictional character from a fictional land... That would be like having Snow White do a meet and Greet outside of Germany and making her wear absolutely authentic 17th century costuming because that is what they wore then... Something that looks nothing like the film character....and while we are at it, her hair was NEVER historically accurate as Bobbed hair came in the 20th Century...unless she was a novice in a nunnery, she would have had long hair... You can't impose real world values and cultures on fictional fairytale characters... They should be as they are... not conforming to 21st century cultures from a real world country they do not inhabit.

Precisely.
Must we over pc everything?

Bocabear

Oh please....enough with the gendered Islamophobia.
Islamophobia? lol not at all... Beloved film characters that are rolled out as meet and greet characters should match their model screen counterparts... This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Islam... at all... period...
I don't believe any of the characters in Aladdin practiced any religion whatsoever...
it's just plain ridiculous to say that.

GiveMeTheMusic

Oh please....enough with the gendered Islamophobia.

Jasmine is not from Morocco. She shouldn't be greeting there in the first place, but since most WDW guests wouldn't know where Morocco is if their lives depended on it, it is what it is.

It doesn't make Jasmine Moroccan (she's not). She's still from a fictional kingdom that never existed. It's not gendered islamophobia to want the character to look like the movie.

21stamps

Islamophobia? lol not at all... Beloved film characters that are rolled out as meet and greet characters should match their model screen counterparts... This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Islam... at all... period...
I don't believe any of the characters in Aladdin practiced any religion whatsoever...
Well, now I'm offended. I know plenty Moroccan Jews. :) ;)

SorcererMC

@Incomudro That was not in reference to you in particular so much as the comments in this thread saying it's ridiculous for her to be covered up, next she'll be in a burqa, etc. Faux outrage that Jasmine is no longer the exotic belly-dancer. Those comments reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of Arab and Muslim cultures - that are supported by the Aladdin film, which is based on a Westernized version of Arab culture. Using the film to support Jasmine as belly-dancer simply allows the racist stereotypes to continue to be supported - it's a major faux pas for 2016....people here can make it, but Disney as a company cannot.

SorcererMC

Jasmine is not from Morocco. She shouldn't be greeting there in the first place, but since most WDW guests wouldn't know where Morocco is if their lives depended on it, it is what it is.

They made her Moroccan by putting her there. Agreed that it's not the best place for it, but it is what they are doing, so..

SorcererMC

"Allah forbid you should have any daughters".

21stamps

@Incomudro That was not in reference to you in particular so much as the comments in this thread saying it's ridiculous for her to be covered up, next she'll be in a burqa, etc. Faux outrage that Jasmine is no longer the exotic belly-dancer. Those comments reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of Arab and Muslim cultures - that are supported by the Aladdin film, which is based on a Westernized version of Arab culture. Using the film to support Jasmine as belly-dancer simply allows the racist stereotypes to continue to be supported - it's a major faux pas for 2016....people here can make it, but Disney as a company cannot.
But it's total bs!! Sorry for the implied language. But go to a Moroccan restaurant. Anywhere. A lot have belly dancers. Wonderful food, good entertainment. There is no outrage at that.
It's part of their culture. But I agree with others who have said - jasmine is a fictional character from a fictional place. There should be no need to conform to any PC nonsense, and even less of a need to cover a woman's body.

SorcererMC

But it's total bs!! Sorry for the implied language. But go to a Moroccan restaurant. Anywhere. A lot have belly dancers. Wonderful food, good entertainment. There is no outrage at that.
It's part of their culture. But I agree with others who have said - jasmine is a fictional character from a fictional place. There should be no need to conform to any PC nonsense, and even less of a need to cover a woman's body.

You're right about the belly-dancers in general - they have actual belly dancers at Marrakesh (I made that point earlier). The problem is that the fictional representation of that is not correct. How is Jasmine a belly-dancer in the movie? She's not, at all. And if she's a princess, why doesn't she have a better wardrobe?

GiveMeTheMusic

They made her Moroccan by putting her there. Agreed that it's not the best place for it, but it is what they are doing, so..

No they didn't. Elsa isn't Norwegian either. They can't choose where these characters are from, that is set by the movie, as is the costume...and we're back to the root of it.

The movie makes the rules and the parks have to play by them or else it's no longer the character from the movie.

SorcererMC

No they didn't. Elsa isn't Norwegian either. They can't choose where these characters are from, that is set by the movie, as is the costume...and we're back to the root of it.

The movie makes the rules and the parks have to play by them or else it's no longer the character from the movie.

So is it the Arendelle pavilion now?

Aladdin the film could hypothetically take place in Morocco - that's why they put her there. Aside from being Arab and Muslim, they also have a history of sultanates.

ETA: Their policy of putting the characters in WS really does create this whole 'fantasy vs. real-world' problem, but that is the direction they are going, and will likely continue to. I don't necessarily like it.

21stamps

You're right about the belly-dancers in general - they have actual belly dancers at Marrakesh (I made that point earlier). The problem is that the fictional representation of that is not correct. How is Jasmine a belly-dancer in the movie? She's not, at all. And if she's a princess, why doesn't she have a better wardrobe?
Because it's a fictional story.

I've never seen talking animals. Or a genie. Or a flying carpet.

I'd also like to know the logistics of how Cinderella is able to walk, and run, in shoes made out of glass.

The list could go on and on.

It's Make Believe. Fantasy. Fiction. (Insert any other synonym here).

Not real life. Not a representation of an entire culture.

GiveMeTheMusic

So is it the Arendelle pavilion now?

Aladdin the film could hypothetically take place in Morocco - that's why they put her there. Aside from being Arab and Muslim, they also have a history of sultanates.

ETA: Their policy of putting the characters in WS really does create this whole 'fantasy vs. real-world' problem, but that is the direction they are going, and will likely continue to. I don't necessarily like it.

Okay bye

James Norrie

Think it should be this, based on being PC
Burka-Haiweb.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom