Jasmine's new look

SorcererMC

Aren't there still actual belly dancers in the restaurant and performing in the area - recently reintroduced? It's not like they got rid of them and it doesn't seem like they are going to.

Yes, I'm quoting myself....b/c I just saw that they are promoting the Morocco pavilion and belly-dancing today in honor of Eid al-Adha. And that is called 'doing it right', you know, using Epcot World Showcase pavilions to encourage cultural awareness. It could just be a coincidence that they rolled out the new Jasmine look a week ago, but maybe not?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Remember Chapek (Chappie) is a Consumer Products guy and sees the characters as advertisements for the retail products. So Jasmine now looks like the Jasmine costume, The fact that her costume has little resemblance to her appearance in the movie matters not at all, It's SYNERGY Dude, Sweet sweet Synergy and as Chappie thinks 'free advertising' for the cheap Chinese costumes sold at every WalMart.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, I'm quoting myself....b/c I just saw that they are promoting the Morocco pavilion and belly-dancing today in honor of Eid al-Adha. And that is called 'doing it right', you know, using Epcot World Showcase pavilions to encourage cultural awareness. It could just be a coincidence that they rolled out the new Jasmine look a week ago, but maybe not?

Nope - Think Synergy with consumer products - the head of P&R was head of Consumer Products so he sees the in-park characters as 'advertising' for the Consumer Products Division - (think cheap costumes sold at Wal Mart and other 'fine' retailers). I doubt cultural sensitivity had anything to do with the costume change for Jasmine and everything to do with advertising synergy.

grim-grinning_toast

I am more disturbed by the outraged men in this thread who are screaming at clouds about how they're "allowed" to find young girls dressed as cartoon princesses attractive than I am about how atrocious this costume is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
My kid has this Disney Store costume. Doesn't look anything like Jasmine's new outfit to me...

2841040737766-1.jpg

SorcererMC

Nope - Think Synergy with consumer products - the head of P&R was head of Consumer Products so he sees the in-park characters as 'advertising' for the Consumer Products Division - (think cheap costumes sold at Wal Mart and other 'fine' retailers). I doubt cultural sensitivity had anything to do with the costume change for Jasmine and everything to do with advertising synergy.

I agree it's about synergy and selling merch. Taking cultural sensitivity into consideration is not mutually exclusive; good marketing for any global brand includes an element of cultural intelligence = $$$. Any individual at Disney who would have researched or implemented the change would have easily been aware of some of the information that I found - Aladdin is cited repeatedly as a prime example of negative Arab stereotypes (and given that Islamophobia is at an all-time high, and that it's socially acceptable - see comments in this thread - do I really need to elaborate on why that matters?). Cultural awareness has been an ongoing issue for Disney, and it will continue to be (eg Mulan live-action remake...hmmm, 'Distinctly Disney, Authentically Chinese'?).

In the case of Jasmine, taking into consideration all of the possible reasons - creepy guests, princesses as role models for girls, shifting the image of Jasmine from a stereotype to culturally appropriate for the Morocco pavilion M&G and Princess brand, attracting new consumers, selling more merch....there are many more reasons for them to change her look than to keep it at the status quo.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree it's about synergy and selling merch. Taking cultural sensitivity into consideration is not mutually exclusive; good marketing for any global brand includes an element of cultural intelligence = $$$. Any individual at Disney who would have researched or implemented the change would have easily been aware of some of the information that I found - Aladdin is cited repeatedly as a prime example of negative Arab stereotypes (and given that Islamophobia is at an all-time high, and that it's socially acceptable - see comments in this thread - do I really need to elaborate on why that matters?). Cultural awareness has been an ongoing issue for Disney, and it will continue to be (eg Mulan live-action remake...hmmm, 'Distinctly Disney, Authentically Chinese'?).

In the case of Jasmine, taking into consideration all of the possible reasons - creepy guests, princesses as role models for girls, shifting the image of Jasmine from a stereotype to culturally appropriate for the Morocco pavilion M&G and Princess brand, attracting new consumers, selling more merch....there are many more reasons for them to change her look than to keep it at the status quo.

With the lone exception that Disney has the cultural sensitivity of a charging rhinoceous

SorcererMC

With the lone exception that Disney has the cultural sensitivity of a charging rhinoceous
Ha! I remember when EuroDisney/ Disneyland Paris opened and there was plenty of backlash about it from the French cultural elite.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that most Arab-Americans live in the northern states like MI, IL, OH, PA, NY, etc. - all are feeder states for FL visitors, and if their strategy is to keep attracting new customers, it was time for an update.

SorcererMC

I've only spot read this thread, forgive me if I say something that already has been said...

The main change I see here is that the person playing Jasmine actually seems to be Arabic. In the past, as I recall, we had tanned western girls or latinas playing this role. I think they are trying to avoid cultural appropriation here and may have changed whom is being Jasime these days. It's possible that many women with that cultural background would want to wear more modest dress. Just a thought. Don't mean to take the thread in a political direction, just seemed to me the most logical explanation.

I'm not sure how they do the casting for princess roles, but when they were casting for the Aladdin Broadway production, they said that it is illegal to ask someone's background in the audition (just like for any hiring interview).

wdrive

I've only spot read this thread, forgive me if I say something that already has been said...

The main change I see here is that the person playing Jasmine actually seems to be Arabic. In the past, as I recall, we had tanned western girls or latinas playing this role. I think they are trying to avoid cultural appropriation here and may have changed whom is being Jasime these days. It's possible that many women with that cultural background would want to wear more modest dress. Just a thought. Don't mean to take the thread in a political direction, just seemed to me the most logical explanation.

The performers haven't changed at all.

lazyboy97o

What would Jasmine's costume have to do with Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac?

Nubs70

I am more disturbed by the outraged men in this thread who are screaming at clouds about how they're "allowed" to find young girls dressed as cartoon princesses attractive than I am about how atrocious this costume is.
Just a heads up. If you wear leggings or yoga pants in the parks and you feel someone is watching you, it's me.

SorcererMC

What would Jasmine's costume have to do with Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Isaac?
Disney was promoting the Morocco pavilion (eg Marrakesh and belly-dancing) on twitter yesterday, specifically for Eid, including a nice pic of the many CMs who work in that area, some of whom celebrate it. I was saying that perhaps it is coincidental that they rolled out her costume last week since the holiday was this week (eg synergy!), perhaps not. I'd also reiterate that the M&G taking place there removes Prince Ali and Jasmine from the fictional Agrabah context of the film, and puts them into the context of Morocco - probably why they didn't just choose a dress from the film.

ETA: That seems to be the 'compromise' of putting a fictional character into WS - the juxtaposition of the fictional character with the actual cultural representation imbues it with the need for accuracy/ consistency.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Disney was promoting the Morocco pavilion (eg Marrakesh and belly-dancing) on twitter yesterday, specifically for Eid, including a nice pic of the many CMs who work in that area, some of whom celebrate it. I was saying that perhaps it is coincidental that they rolled out her costume last week since the holiday was this week (eg synergy!), perhaps not. I'd also reiterate that the M&G taking place there removes Prince Ali and Jasmine from the fictional Agrabah context of the film, and puts them into the context of Morocco - probably why they didn't just choose a dress from the film.

ETA: That seems to be the 'compromise' of putting a fictional character into WS - the juxtaposition of the fictional character with the actual cultural representation imbues it with the need for accuracy/ consistency.
not at all...it actually is quite the opposite... When putting a fictional character into World Showcase it is more important for them to be shown in their film costume, not some made up semi cultural change that no longer represents the character....so they actually stand alone as a representation of the Character, not the pavilion...
Jasmine and Alladdin are from a place as fictional as Arrendelle...there is no need for them to conform to any cultural standard whatsoever. the fictional places are suggested by real world places, but are not...
The characters live in a fantasy world....Unlike Mulan who was from specific area of China or Pocohontas who was based on the real historical figure...
I want my Jasmine to resemble the film character, not some socially sensitive apologist version of what is politically correct.... this is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER... not a Muslim Woman living in the current middle east.

SorcererMC

not at all...it actually is quite the opposite... When putting a fictional character into World Showcase it is more important for them to be shown in their film costume, not some made up semi cultural change that no longer represents the character....so they actually stand alone as a representation of the Character, not the pavilion...
Jasmine and Alladdin are from a place as fictional as Arrendelle...there is no need for them to conform to any cultural standard whatsoever. the fictional places are suggested by real world places, but are not...
The characters live in a fantasy world....Unlike Mulan who was from specific area of China or Pocohontas who was based on the real historical figure...
I want my Jasmine to resemble the film character, not some socially sensitive apologist version of what is politically correct.... this is a FICTIONAL CHARACTER... not a Muslim Woman living in the current middle east.

Had they put M&G by the Aladdin ride in Magic Kingdom, I might agree with you, but that's not the case here. By putting Princess Jasmine in the Morocco pavilion, she becomes 1. a living, breathing version of that character (fantasy or otherwise). and 2. a representation of that specific culture, Morocco being majority Arab and majority Muslim. Without any sort of accuracy, it becomes parody and a false representation of the culture, that the pavilion itself is designed to represent. Recall that the Morocco pavilion in particular was sponsored by the King Hassan II/ govt of Morocco and built by their artisans; the pavilion sets the cultural standard.

Incomudro

Had they put M&G by the Aladdin ride in Magic Kingdom, I might agree with you, but that's not the case here. By putting Princess Jasmine in the Morocco pavilion, she becomes 1. a living, breathing version of that character (fantasy or otherwise). and 2. a representation of that specific culture, Morocco being majority Arab and majority Muslim. Without any sort of accuracy, it becomes parody and a false representation of the culture, that the pavilion itself is designed to represent. Recall that the Morocco pavilion in particular was sponsored by the King Hassan II/ govt of Morocco and built by their artisans; the pavilion sets the cultural standard.

Oh please...
The character from the movie is the character from the movie, and that should be it.
Enough with the pc nonsense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom