Jasmine's new look

Earl Sweatpants

It's the same thing. IF Disney did this to be PC.. It is EXACTLY the same.

Barbie has been under attack for year for "not being realistic" or "causing girls to have unrealistic expectations".

Where is the difference? Now Disney joined Mattel in the nonsense.
Action figures gave me unrealistic expectations of what it would be like to be a grown up man. Imagine my disappointment when I found out I would never be six inches tall and made of plastic!

SorcererMC

Wait what? I thought Morocco was next to Saudi Arabia? It can't be in Africa?!?!
Sadly, I don't even think a lot of people realize that different heavily Muslim countries speak different languages, and have different traditions, and dress differently. If they did then the past 15 posts wouldn't be happening.

This is the problem. Morocco is not in Southwest Asia.

If you google "Americans" you won't be able to understand us. Not really, and we're all in the same country.

Muslim is a religion, not a culture, and not a country.

Southwest Asia wouldn't include any of the things you are talking about. Turkey is arguably the most "modern" Muslim country, especially when it comes to clothing, so Jasmine definitely isn't representative of their current times.

Indeed, Arabic and Muslim culture exists beyond Southwest Asia and national borders for that matter - I edited the post to add MENA b/c that is usually how the regional area of study is designated. 'Middle East' is generally considered an occidental term. The original stories for One Thousand and One Nights were supposedly from Southwest Asia (Persia). I didn't think it was worthwhile to get into all of those distinctions....goes beyond the scope of the thread.

Incomudro

Action figures gave me unrealistic expectations of what it would be like to be a grown up man. Imagine my disappointment when I found out I would never be six inches tall and made of plastic!

Gaston gives boys an unrealistic and unobtainable body image.
He fat shames overweight boys, and ectomorphic boys will never achieve his musculature.
His collection of antlers is unobtainable.

SorcererMC

I know you are being sarcastic - but 'superhero culture' for boys is just as much of a concern as 'princess culture' is for girls. Yes, really, in sociological circles, etc.

21stamps

Yeah, I never understood why men weren't pressuring for a Beer Belly Ken. ;)
Indeed, Arabic and Muslim culture exists beyond Southwest Asia and national borders for that matter - I edited the post to add MENA b/c that is usually how the regional area of study is designated. 'Middle East' is generally considered an occidental term. The original stories for One Thousand and One Nights were supposedly from Southwest Asia (Persia). I didn't think it was worthwhile to get into all of those distinctions....goes beyond the scope of the thread.
it's completely in line with the scope that you're talking about. These countries don't share the same language, they don't share the same style. They are their own entities.

So to say Jasmine needs to represent one or all is preposterous.

Earl Sweatpants

I know you are being sarcastic - but 'superhero culture' for boys is just as much of a concern as 'princess culture' is for girls. Yes, really, in sociological circles, etc.
forgive my total ignorance, but what problems are being caused by "superhero culture"? Little boys are pretending and play-acting as superheroes?

SorcererMC

forgive my total ignorance, but what problems are being caused by "superhero culture"? Little boys are pretending and play-acting as superheroes?

body-conscious issues, same as girls. Mainly - the increasing prevalence of eating disorders among men, unrealistic body images, etc. It doesn't get nearly the same amount of public scrutiny/ attention though.

ETA: also - 'fantasy violence', gets into video games and all of that.

Earl Sweatpants

body-conscious issues, same as girls. Mainly - the increasing prevalence of eating disorders among men, unrealistic body images, etc. It doesn't get nearly the same amount of public scrutiny/ attention though.

Sign of the times then.

I grew up completely immersed in "superheroes" (Batman, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers) and never once felt like my own personal body had anything to do with it. I could pretend to be Batman all day everyday (my mom even made me capes) and that was enough for me.

Incomudro

Just how do you enjoy anything then?
I question how you can enjoy anything Disney.

21stamps

Sign of the times then.

I grew up completely immersed in "superheroes" (Batman, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers) and never once felt like my own personal body had anything to do with it. I could pretend to be Batman all day everyday (my mom even made me capes) and that was enough for me.
That still happens. Don't worry.

Last year my son had a Power Rangers theme for his birthday party. This year was Star Wars. We attended plenty of Ninja Turtle parties, and my sister did a Batman party for her son. All of the kids got capes and masks. :)

So far the "boy" stuff has been left alone.

Edited to add.. I'm a learning mom.. My kid's 3rd birthday was Jake, but his 4th was Super Heros.. The only theme I 'messed up'. I didn't realize that batman and spiderman weren't part of the same club..or comic books. Lol

Earl Sweatpants

That still happens. Don't worry.

Last year my son had a Power Rangers theme for his birthday party. We attended plenty of Ninja Turtle parties, and my sister did a Batman party for her son. All of the kids got capes and masks. :)

So far the "boy" stuff has been left alone.
Good!

Im honestly curious to know who is giving boys this "unrealistic body expectations" based off superheroes. As if someone is saying to an 8-year old, "if you don't grow up to be ripped like Thor, you're not a man!" o_O

SorcererMC

Just how do you enjoy anything then?
I question how you can enjoy anything Disney.

Me personally? I enjoy Disney animation and theme parks on what I would call 'artistic merit' - Walt Disney argued that animation wasn't 'just a cartoon', it was an art form. So I appreciate their products for those reasons, but my critical thinking skills don't just go out the window. I mean, they are packaging and selling 'arts & culture', and they have been more successful at it than any other company I can think of (American or otherwise). It's fascinating.

lazyboy97o

I never said it wasn't patronizing. Disney is saying they are Moroccan by putting them there, not me. I have pointed out on a couple of occasions the problems with the source material, I'm pretty sure I was the first one to bring it up! Thanks.

Edit: And I fully admit that my thinking on this issue has evolved from reading the initial post - why? B/c I spent 30 min. learning about why portraying Arab stereotypes might be a problem. I'm not an expert on 'Middle East' cultural affairs, but I have enough of a foundation in it eg modern Southwest Asia/MENA history and how narratives are shaped to know why a change like this is necessary. I recognize that my attempts at explaining it are lost on people reading it, and I probably won't continue doing so.
That you "spent 30 minutes learning" is exactly the problem.

Wait what? I thought Morocco was next to Saudi Arabia? It can't be in Africa?!?!
Sadly, I don't even think a lot of people realize that different heavily Muslim countries speak different languages, and have different traditions, and dress differently. If they did then the past 15 posts wouldn't be happening.

This is the problem. Morocco is not in Southwest Asia. Nor is it in the Middle East.

If you google "Americans" you won't be able to understand us. Not really, and we're all in the same country.

Muslim is a religion, not a culture, and not a country.

Southwest Asia wouldn't include any of the things you are talking about. Turkey is arguably the most "modern" Muslim country, especially when it comes to clothing, so Jasmine definitely isn't representative of their current times.
Morocco may not be inArabia but its inhabitants are mostly an Arab people. And Islam very much has a strong cultural component with the Maghreb long having a prominent role.

SorcererMC

That you "spent 30 minutes learning" is exactly the problem.

Not only 30 minutes - this isn't the first time I've considered these issues, I've spent years. I prefer some subjects more than others, and I tend to limit my comments to what I know, don't you?

ETA: Apparently you only read that first sentence and discarded my other statements and the follow-up post that was a response to 21stamps. I can only be responsible for what I write, not how you understand it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom