Jasmine's new look

Raineman

So, let's change Jasmine's clothing, because we want to teach women everywhere, young and old, that they need to be ashamed of their bodies, and that all exposed skin outside of their face only serves to whip all men into a libido-fueled rage, so it needs to be covered. Let's also make this change to point out that all men that appreciate the female form will turn into ravenous, libido-fueled monsters, and covering up 99% of a woman's skin will deny them of said appreciation and keep the monster at bay. God forbid, we teach women to be proud of their physical appearance, and give them the choice of how much of it they want to show. Also, god forbid that we teach men that the female form can be appreciated respectfully without acting like a lecherous creep. Great job, Disney. Way to send the kind of messages that drive us back to the Dark Ages.

Bocabear

So, let's change Jasmine's clothing, because we want to teach women everywhere, young and old, that they need to be ashamed of their bodies, and that all exposed skin outside of their face only serves to whip all men into a libido-fueled rage, so it needs to be covered. Let's also make this change to point out that all men that appreciate the female form will turn into ravenous, libido-fueled monsters, and covering up 99% of a woman's skin will deny them of said appreciation and keep the monster at bay. God forbid, we teach women to be proud of their physical appearance, and give them the choice of how much of it they want to show. Also, god forbid that we teach men that the female form can be appreciated respectfully without acting like a lecherous creep. Great job, Disney. Way to send the kind of messages that drive us back to the Dark Ages.
I can hardly wait to see the new Burka Mermaid tmDisney all rights reserved... Covering up Jasmine is just plain ridiculous...especially for the resons cited.

SorcererMC

That's a bit extreme. Modesty does not have to be shameful, it can be tastefully done. It's not about the message a scantily clad Jasmine sends to women (or men), it's the message that it sends to girls who will meet her - the message it sends is that their bodies should be on display; the context of the meet and greet matters. I can't believe more people aren't saying that this was long overdue.

Personally, I think they could have done a whole lot better in choosing a dress that personifies the character of Jasmine, but I see this as being more formal attire to match Aladdin (as most of the princesses are dressed formally, Ariel notwithstanding).

Edit: Remember too that this is for a photo for family vacation memories.

Last edited:

tl77

The new look is similar to the kids dresses they sell
2841040737766-1

SorcererMC

People have been getting family vacation photos with Jasmine's bare midriff for over two decades now, I haven't heard any complaints.

Perhaps you haven't heard complaints, or maybe even Disney hasn't, but perception matters and impacts sales. There is obviously some sort of issue with it, or else they wouldn't have changed it so drastically. If the change is for historical revision, I'm against it, b/c it changes the original intent of the film based on the folk tale and compromises its artistic merit. If the change is b/c men don't know how to behave themselves, I'm against it (b/c that's what the handlers are for). I really think that it is to sell more Jasmine costumes to girls, hence the awkward position I am in of actually defending a decision made by TWDC and my theory as to why they did (b/c I'm not buying those other reasons).

Bocabear

Perhaps you haven't heard complaints, or maybe even Disney hasn't, but perception matters and impacts sales. There is obviously some sort of issue with it, or else they wouldn't have changed it so drastically. If the change is for historical revision, I'm against it, b/c it changes the original intent of the film based on the folk tale and compromises its artistic merit. If the change is b/c men don't know how to behave themselves, I'm against it (b/c that's what the handlers are for). I really think that it is to sell more Jasmine costumes to girls, hence the awkward position I am in of actually defending a decision made by TWDC and my theory as to why they did (b/c I'm not buying those other reasons).
So why defend it...It is obviously to sell more merchandise...and if no onehas everheard of a complaint about Jasmin'e midriff in 20 years of appearing in the parks, it cant be that big a deal...I think it is just specifically to sell more merchandise and was also poorly done...

Raineman

That's a bit extreme. Modesty does not have to be shameful, it can be tastefully done. It's not about the message a scantily clad Jasmine sends to women (or men), it's the message that it sends to girls who will meet her - the message it sends is that their bodies should be on display; the context of the meet and greet matters. I can't believe more people aren't saying that this was long overdue.

Personally, I think they could have done a whole lot better in choosing a dress that personifies the character of Jasmine, but I see this as being more formal attire to match Aladdin (as most of the princesses are dressed formally, Ariel notwithstanding).

Edit: Remember too that this is for a photo for family vacation memories.

I still fail to see why a bare midriff and the top of a woman's chest with very little, if any, cleavage showing is considered "scantily clad"-it's not like Jasmine has been walking around wearing a string bikini. The same girls that are meeting Jasmine will be seeing women with far less clothing on them if they go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon-if these women show up in the background of pictures of a little girl, or more specifically, in pictures taken with family members that are wearing bikinis, are those photos not acceptable as family vacation memories? I guarantee you that most kids under the age of 10 would never notice how much skin a Disney princess is showing, unless an adult points it out to them. Children do not become ashamed in their own skin or overly "modest", especially girls, until adult society (and puberty) force that ideology on them. This whole situation is just political correctness gone overboard, most likely caused by a few people complaining that their little snowflakes are scarred by seeing a Disney character's bare stomach.

SorcererMC

So why defend it...It is obviously to sell more merchandise...and if no onehas everheard of a complaint about Jasmin'e midriff in 20 years of appearing in the parks, it cant be that big a deal...I think it is just specifically to sell more merchandise and was also poorly done...

I'm just trying to offer an alternative reason based on the psychology of the consumer....if Disney wants to sell the merch as a global brand, then they need to appeal to the widest audience.

Edit: From the NY Times
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/disney-princesses-do-change-girls-and-boys-too/?_r=0

Excerpt: “It supports what cultural studies critics have been saying for years.” Fear of how the princess narrative influences girls in a culture that often puts more emphasis on how a girl looks and behaves than on how she acts and thinks is nothing new, and Dr. Hains is pleased to see quantitative research backing up the qualitative argument that Disney, as a primary purveyor of all things princess, is contributing to that influence.

Last edited:

SorcererMC

I still fail to see why a bare midriff and the top of a woman's chest with very little, if any, cleavage showing is considered "scantily clad"-it's not like Jasmine has been walking around wearing a string bikini. The same girls that are meeting Jasmine will be seeing women with far less clothing on them if they go to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon-if these women show up in the background of pictures of a little girl, or more specifically, in pictures taken with family members that are wearing bikinis, are those photos not acceptable as family vacation memories? I guarantee you that most kids under the age of 10 would never notice how much skin a Disney princess is showing, unless an adult points it out to them. Children do not become ashamed in their own skin or overly "modest", especially girls, until adult society (and puberty) force that ideology on them. This whole situation is just political correctness gone overboard, most likely caused by a few people complaining that their little snowflakes are scarred by seeing a Disney character's bare stomach.

I wish you had written this before the other post - I personally don't disagree with this. What I am saying is that Disney has to contend with these issues as a company and in order to keep selling the Princess brand successfully.

Sans Souci

I don't understand why you feel men are entitled to "appreciate the female form?"

Matt_Black

I don't understand why you feel men are entitled to "appreciate the female form?"

I think they're being sarcastic. You know how many people will blame the victim in cases of assault instead of the person actually doing the assaulting? "Well, why were they dressed so provocatively?!?" I believe the poster is lampooning the mindset rather than condoning it.

Sans Souci

I think they're being sarcastic. You know how many people will blame the victim in cases of assault instead of the person actually doing the assaulting? "Well, why were they dressed so provocatively?!?" I believe the poster is lampooning the mindset rather than condoning it.

Perhaps. The first part, I will agree with you. The second part is straight out of Liberal Feminism from the male perspective.

ETA: I mean Liberal Feminism the ideology, not "Liberal Feminism."

GiveMeTheMusic

here's what the costume was based off of

LOL, fantastic. First of all, the new costume looks nothing like those images. The comments are great too. Aladdin doesn't take place in Morocco, despite the meet-n-greet in the Epcot pavilion.

Did anyone ask this "lady from creative costuming" why they didn't base Jasmine's new costume off of oh I don't know THE MOVIE?

LongLiveTheKing

I think that parents don't want their daughters emulating a scantily clad Jasmine as a role model. Cultural norms have changed since 1992 when Aladdin was released.
While this is true for parents, for girls growing up, the belly dancer attire Jasmine wears in the movie is ironically a lot more similar to the absolute huge number of short short and midriff exposing American (actually is this common in western Europe or first world Asian countries at all?) teenagers present today than in the 90's

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom