It's Tough to be a Bug! "stings"

Erika

Grim Grinner said:
It's definitely a poke!

And it seems to have changed since I went in 2000. When I saw the show during my honeymoon, the stinger came out of the chair and jammed me in the spine. Not only did it hurt, it broke the skin. After the lights came up, I saw that the little poker thingie was stuck in its out position. So I walked away with a mildly bleeding back from that one.

Ouch! I wonder if you got a bad stinger. I wouldn't think it would be such a smart move on Disney's part to be stabbing people so they bleed. We went in '98 and 2000 and I'm sure it wasn't that bad for me (and I have a bad back). I can't comment on subsequent visits because I'm a wuss leaner now- I know it's coming but I still jump out of my skin :lol:

When I don't lean... I make sure to jam my purse or anything else I am carrying behind my back.

patelaine1953

The sting reminds me of the mice in Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Last trip, my brother-in-law had two sailors standing on the seats next to him to get away from the mice! Now those are a couple of wimps.

bigorangeandy

I don't seem to recall the poke/sting, maybe I'm just thick skined, or my memory is ....
icon5.gif

Goofyernmost

It's not really painful, just surprising. That same way that the mice in HISTA was. After the first time, you just sit a little further up in the seat toward the end of the show. I used to take people to HISTA and never told them about that part. It was the most amusing part of the whole show for me.

jloucks

When I got "stung" I was paralyzed for a week!

Oh, wait, no, that's an exaggeration. I was totally fine. Kids were fine. Wife was fine. Zero injuries of any degree.

Now, I can see where if you jump violently you could hurt yourself.

raven

The "stinger" is off center and vibrates as it quickly pokes. It doesn't hurt. It's just timed extremely well with the audio making it seem worse than it actually is.

On the topic of effects in 4D movies, in Muppets you hear a steam noise coming from stage right as the cartoon car speeds away but there's never any smoke or steam (CO2). This happens a couple of times during that show and I don't think I've even seen the effect. I know they use it at the end when holes are blown into the auditorium walls but you can definitely hear a release of some sort of steam at that point. Anyone else notice this?

Mouse_Trap

During subsequent trips, I leaned forward, but noticed before-hand that the position of the poker was different. Sure enough, it's supposed to zing you in the butt now. However, sit the wrong way and you'll get jabbed like my poor female friend who shouted in the middle of the show "I've been violated!". Yeah, it sorta pokes in the center of your butt....

I'm pretty sure it's in the centre of your back.....unless maybe you have a plastic butt the size of Kim Kardashian - mind with all that filler and plastic, I doubt she'd feel a cattle prod let alone a little zinger.

ChadInOKC

Oy vey. And I thought this was a hardcore Disney fan site. I'm shocked there are so many "leaners" or as I like to call them, "wimps" :lol: :lol:

Next thing you know, you'll tell me you close your eyes on the Splash Mountain drop and use the barf bags on Mission Space :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

I totally agree, this is the biggest bunch of babies I have seen in a while. Its fun! I was excited to be poked the last time we went, but sadly, my seat wasn't working and I did not feel anything. ;)

As far as the person who had it break skin, that is bad. I can agree with that. :eek:

Goofyernmost

I totally agree, this is the biggest bunch of babies I have seen in a while. Its fun! I was excited to be poked the last time we went, but sadly, my seat wasn't working and I did not feel anything. ;)

As far as the person who had it break skin, that is bad. I can agree with that. :eek:
I'll take it a step further and say that I don't believe that. Does make a good story though.

Clover Bailey

I think Leaners are a new group of the WDW fandom, and I am also one.

For some reason the first time I rode it I didn't actually feel anything. However, for some reason, I felt the air effect that shoots compressed air at you. I thought this was the effect of stings. The next time I rode it though, the effect took place and it was painful. It was in the higher part of my back, and it felt like a hair claw clipping onto my back. I leaned ever since.

I honestly prefer It's Tough to be a Bug for the amazing Hopper animatronic and more use of effects, but Mickey's PhilharMagic has a better ending.

Goofyernmost

I think Leaners are a new group of the WDW fandom, and I am also one.

For some reason the first time I rode it I didn't actually feel anything. However, for some reason, I felt the air effect that shoots compressed air at you. I thought this was the effect of stings. The next time I rode it though, the effect took place and it was painful. It was in the higher part of my back, and it felt like a hair claw clipping onto my back. I leaned ever since.

I honestly prefer It's Tough to be a Bug for the amazing Hopper animatronic and more use of effects, but Mickey's PhilharMagic has a better ending.
Maybe it was a hair claw, because the affect is in the buttock region so unless you were lying down on the seat it couldn't have possibly been that affect that you felt. Unless, of course, you meant the higher part of you lower hip area, I'm not sure what it was you were feeling. Did someone behind you, possibly hit you with a purse, backpack or something else.

French Quarter

I am so glad that others admitted to not remembering this effect. I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have ridden several times but for the life of me, I cannot remember being stung or even that part in the show. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal as I forget details all the time. But, given how dramatic/traumatic this is for people, you think I'd recall it in some way. Next time, I will look out for the leaners and give them a knowing nod. lol

FettFan

Now that the opening post has asked if it was a poke or a shock, I can't help but wonder if anyone has ever seriously complained about getting "electric shocks".....probably the same doofuses who would complain about popping ears and loss of balance from the Living Seas Hydrolators.

Clover Bailey

Maybe it was a hair claw, because the affect is in the buttock region so unless you were lying down on the seat it couldn't have possibly been that affect that you felt. Unless, of course, you meant the higher part of you lower hip area, I'm not sure what it was you were feeling. Did someone behind you, possibly hit you with a purse, backpack or something else.

Well I'm honestly not 100% sure, but that was 2 years ago and that's how I at least remembered it. The whole hair claw thing might have been the stick vibrating, creating a strange feeling, and maybe it wasn't at my higher back, but it wasn't my lower back, maybe the middle of my back. I am going to Disney in a month and will reply after I watch the show again. Though I will probably lean XD

Clover Bailey

O vey. And I thought this was a hardcore Disney fan site. I'm shocked there are so many "leaners" or as I like to call them, "wimps" :lol: :lol:

Next thing you know, you'll tell me you close your eyes on the Splash Mountain drop and use the barf bags on Mission Space :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

I do neither of those things, but I think we should add 'taking the back row of Soarin' to the list XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom