It's Tough to be a Bug! "stings"

pumpkin7

They definitely don't 'shock' you as you would think of an electric shock. It's literally a little like, pointy thing that comes out the back of the chair. I remember my first time, and mine didn't work! And everyone else jumped. It was quite funny! Just lean forward when the bee bit comes on. I love TTBAB!

wdwjmp239

Does anyone know about the stings during the "It's Tough to be a Bug!" 3D show? I have read that you can get shocked to simulate a insect sting. Is it a big shock or just a little one. I went once but did not experience any stings. Anyway, I can't seem to find any warnings about it as far as people with heart problems.

Thanks.

It's a couple of pokes. I think there would be pending lawsuits if Disney administered "shocks" in any of their attractions. If you want a shock, then touch the metal prong on your iPhone charger when you plug it in your hotel room (I did this about 10 mins ago plugging my phone in to get charged....it was a good time!) Free shocks! Self-administered! Fun for the entire family! :D

Goofyernmost

It's one of those "my bleeped up brain" effects. It is a very short blunt "poke". Nothing that really hurts, but, when combined with the idea that bees are buzzing around makes the brain recognize it as a sting instead of a real nothing. When reading the different reactions and what people feel it was, just reinforces just how different we and our perceptions of reality can be. It's close to the same experience that was in Honey I Shrunk the Audience. That feeling like the mice were running into your legs was as real as if it really were happening for many people. To me it was funny, others screamed in fear. (That was funny too)

Animaniac93-98

William Castle would have loved this show, if for no other reason than this particular effect.

Heck, Disney should just run The Tingler on a loop in the theatre on Halloween.

Clover Bailey

People, I am back from my 3 day trip to WDW, and this is the update from me you haven't been waiting for.

I walked into the Animal Kingdom and headed towards the Tree of Life. Soon the Stand-By queue for It's Tough to be a Bug was in sight. I then walked in, grabbed a pair of glasses, stood in a dark room with buggy 7 year old girls (get it?) and walked in. As soon as I sat down, I looked behind me and saw 'the stinger', hiding in a little stub. I touched the little piece of rubber and then the show started. 6 minutes later, Hopper unleashed the Bug Spray causing the entire theater to be in complete darkness. While there was still light, I got out of my seat and covered the hole with my fingers. The buzzing started and... there was no poke. Instead, like the time before, it was compressed air. I was confused even more now. Did Disney find out about "the leaners" and replace the effect to trick us? Were the hornets not working so they had to use air now? I am honestly puzzled, did anyone else experience this? I guess the only other option is to lean and cover the air shooters.

Disneyhead'71

Wow! I am once again (and for the second time today) blown away by the impressive level of wimptatude of Disney fans.

Earlier, I was reading about someone who can't handle "moving rides". Well, how the hell did they even get to WDW? Now I'm reading about people who are intimidated about the intensity of a non-moving ride. Wow, just wow. You Princess Snowflake adults really need to butch it up a bit.

POLY LOVER

People, I am back from my 3 day trip to WDW, and this is the update from me you haven't been waiting for.

I walked into the Animal Kingdom and headed towards the Tree of Life. Soon the Stand-By queue for It's Tough to be a Bug was in sight. I then walked in, grabbed a pair of glasses, stood in a dark room with buggy 7 year old girls (get it?) and walked in. As soon as I sat down, I looked behind me and saw 'the stinger', hiding in a little stub. I touched the little piece of rubber and then the show started. 6 minutes later, Hopper unleashed the Bug Spray causing the entire theater to be in complete darkness. While there was still light, I got out of my seat and covered the hole with my fingers. The buzzing started and... there was no poke. Instead, like the time before, it was compressed air. I was confused even more now. Did Disney find out about "the leaners" and replace the effect to trick us? Were the hornets not working so they had to use air now? I am honestly puzzled, did anyone else experience this? I guess the only other option is to lean and cover the air shooters.

No the last time I was there it was a poke. I don,t remember any refurb of the ride to change the effect.

krwalker02

Ok, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who experienced discomfort during this show. My husband and I went to Disney for our honeymoon many years ago and went to this attraction. I was in so much pain for the rest of the day that sitting on other rides or chairs at restaurants was uncomfortable. I felt silly for mentioning it and just got through the day. When we got back to our room and I got ready for bed, my husband was shocked to see that there was a 3 inch bruise on my spine. I guess that little prong just hit me in exactly the wrong spot. Over the next few days it got darker and was very tender. We have been annual passholders since and enjoy bringing our children often, but I am always careful to not sit all the way back in the seat. I am curious to see if they have changed the effect. I'll place my hand there next time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ok, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who experienced discomfort during this show. My husband and I went to Disney for our honeymoon many years ago and went to this attraction. I was in so much pain for the rest of the day that sitting on other rides or chairs at restaurants was uncomfortable. I felt silly for mentioning it and just got through the day. When we got back to our room and I got ready for bed, my husband was shocked to see that there was a 3 inch bruise on my spine. I guess that little prong just hit me in exactly the wrong spot. Over the next few days it got darker and was very tender. We have been annual passholders since and enjoy bringing our children often, but I am always careful to not sit all the way back in the seat. I am curious to see if they have changed the effect. I'll place my hand there next time.

You might want to talk to a doctor about how easily your were bruised.

KBLovedDisney

I am easily bruised as well. Not too long ago, went with my MIL to get pedicures for a fun girls day out. Lo and behold, two days later I had terrible bruises on my back that were perfectly round little circles that hurt! Turns out, it was the massage chairs. I didn't think nothing of it at the time and didn't feel any pain when I was getting the massage, but I bruise so easily and anything that really hits my spine like that without my knowing ends up hurting later. I think that may be just a sensitive area on a person because your bone is right there next to the skin without much protection, but that is just my guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom