It's over: Give a day...

SirGoofy

You have to remember that they are giving out free passes to Disney, that may or may not be used. I would certainly love to see them extend it, but they do run a business and sometimes you have to make business decisions. If it makes the most business sense to cap it a million then that is what they are going to do I guess.

Sorry, that's a poor excuse, IMO.

They let anyone and everyone who showed up on their birthday last year.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think the shareholders might legitimately get upset if the promotion was limitless. At $84.14 for a one-day, one-park ticket, Disney contributed $84,140,000 to charity with this promotion [yes, I realise it was less because there were Children's tickets and DLR tickets, but potentially they were on the hook for that]. Great tax write-off, but still a significant outlay for the corporation!

I say bravo Disney! :sohappy:

jakeman

I think the shareholders might legitimately get upset if the promotion was limitless. At $84.14 for a one-day, one-park ticket, Disney contributed $84,140,000 to charity with this promotion [yes, I realise it was less because there were Children's tickets and DLR tickets, but potentially they were on the hook for that]. Great tax write-off, but still a significant outlay for the corporation!

Even if you went for the minimum and said that everyone used theirs as part of a 10 day park hopper, you are still looking at about $25 million.

However, the reaction around here is typical. Knee-jerk negativity is really in vogue right now.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
you mean what you ASSUMED to be a year long campaign.

Because everything I saw
1 - never stated "all of 2010" and
2 - clearly stated the limitation of the first million or December 23rd, whichever comes first. They cannot be held responsible for your (incorrect) assumptions.

However, if I missed something and somewhere it was said that it's "all of 2010" or "year-long opportunity", then by all means correct me.
because you can't handle another persons opinion? yea, i think it's lame that a major corporation ended what seemed to be a year long campaign....it's not like disney is not profiting from this! they should have extended it to the end of the year IMO!

MKCP 1985

The problem with giving everybody an opinion and everybody a computer is sometimes we have to wade through all the bs on threads like this, including mine I suppose. :p

One million free tickets is a lot of tickets, and it isn't like last year's "free on your birthday" promotionbecause whole families can get a free day on the same day with the volunteer plan, where birthdays tend to be spread out. :shrug:

Congrats to those who registered and thanks to those who volunteered to work a day for a charity.

Razzberries to you who think it is lame to give away one MILLION free tickets and more razzberries to you who think it is a selfish act to volunteer a day of work for an $80 ticket.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Big winner!

And with that, I'm out. Going to find something more rewarding and less negative to do with the rest of my evening.

Maybe I'll go volunteer to help my neighbor bring in her groceries.

The problem with giving everybody an opinion and everybody a computer is sometimes we have to wade through all the bs on threads like this, including mine I suppose. :p

One million free tickets is a lot of tickets, and it isn't like last year's "free on your birthday" promotionbecause whole families can get a free day on the same day with the volunteer plan, where birthdays tend to be spread out. :shrug:

Congrats to those who registered and thanks to those who volunteered to work a day for a charity.

Razzberries to you who think it is lame to give away one MILLION free tickets and more razzberries to you who think it is a selfish act to volunteer a day of work for an $80 ticket.

SMRT-1

you mean what you ASSUMED to be a year long campaign.

Because everything I saw
1 - never stated "all of 2010" and
2 - clearly stated the limitation of the first million or December 23rd, whichever comes first. They cannot be held responsible for your (incorrect) assumptions.

However, if I missed something and somewhere it was said that it's "all of 2010" or "year-long opportunity", then by all means correct me.

you are correct..i'm not disagreeing with you there. i am sure most people assumed it was a year thing too..since those are the type of campaigns they have been doing...year of a million dreams anyone? and how long did THAT last for? :lol:

Wilt Dasney

The financial point is a fair one...but I also think it's fair to ask why they offered free tickets to anyone who wasn't born on Feb. 29 (boy, were they screwed :lookaroun) last year, then capped this promotion at a million. What made the two promotions so different to the Disney accountants? It's a question born more of curiousity than disappointment for me.

krankenstein

Wait, the birthday promotion was capped to 1-million as well...

Umm... no. :shrug:

I don't think anyone is saying it is lame they gave away one million tickets. I think everyone is surprised they actually capped it at one million. Most thought it would extend the promotion. :shrug:

Phonedave

I wonder how many of those million took the one day pass and will use it ?

It would have been nice if they extended it, but the fact they even did it at all is commendable. Hopefully it got some people into helping their community.

And no, I did not participate. I took a look at what the had available, and it was a lot of "fluff" in my area.

My kids an I have already collected food for the local Food Pantry. I worked on a coat drive, I jumped in the 38 degree Atlantic last weekend to raise money for the Special Olympics, and my Rotary is putting together a Pedals for Progress collection.

Eh, the extra $240 in savings would have been nice, but as hokey as it may sound, I have to agree with SirGoofy. The real reward comes for volunteering. Some of the options they had on the site were not going to inspire anyone. Making pot holders at home? Thats a craft. You need to see the people you are helping, see the gratitude they have, understand how something as simple as a can of beans or the ability to participate in a sporting event like all the other kids do can mean so much more to a person than a one day pass means to you.

Somehow the soapbox came out. Oh well. :shrug:

SirGoofy

The promotion was a great idea. I said so when it came about.:wave: But of course I said something slightly bad about it so it's just the "same old negativity". If someone like Martin, or Lee, or Tirian said something of the same vein, people would have been completely okay with it.

jakeman

Yes, really.

There is a subset of negativity around here that borders on irrational because it simply centers around either "Disney is not catering to me" or "I know better with my interwebz facts".

And it's gotten to the point that Disney giving away 1,000,000,000 park tickets for people volunteering can't even be met with so much as a congratulation.

In my opinion, that crosses the line for me from disheartening to disgusting.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
touche... good point on YOMD. Yikes.
you are correct..i'm not disagreeing with you there. i am sure most people assumed it was a year thing too..since those are the type of campaigns they have been doing...year of a million dreams anyone? and how long did THAT last for? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom