Its not Florida , Its Disney!

harveyt0206

I always say Disney. I find if I try to simply say "Florida" it is inevitably followed up with "what part of Florida"?. Duh! Like there is any other part I would go to- WDW!!

diddy_mouse

It depends who I'm talking to. I usually say Florida especially if I've talked about previous Disney trips with anyone in my social circle. I've just come to realize that whenever I mention Florida everyone assumes that I'm going to Disney World. :lol: Though I have said "I'm going to Orlando." when I was actually talking about WDW once or twice.

spock

It almost illustrates the difference in WDW's and DL's demographic. When you say "Disney" outside of SoCal nearly everyone will assume WDW.

Not sure I 100% agree with this. I live in Northern CA and whenever I say, "Disney" people tend to assume I'm referring to Disneyland.

MarkTwain

This isn't as much an issue for our family. Since we drive down from Indiana, we often try to see other things along the way. Often we stay at Disney's Vero Beach, but last time we saw Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, and next time we're thinking about seeing the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.

I never say Florida because I am a resident, but it's funny that no one ever assumes that you are referring to California.

In recent years we've gone to Disneyland about as much as we have WDW, so we can never just say "Disney" anymore. It just gets too confusing. :lol:

I always say Disney World then they usually respond again. That always irritates me. I always hate having to justifiy why i love going to Disney World.

I must have accepting friends, I guess. Every Christmas, they just ask "so you're going down to Disney again?" with a sort of understanding that's it's just what I do. :ROFLOL:

TP2000

I never say Florida because I am a resident, but it's funny that no one ever assumes that you are referring to California.

The use of the word "Disney" to mean visiting Walt Disney World is primarily an East Coast phenomenon.

West of the Rockies, when someone asks where you are going on vacation, people say "Disneyland".

Here in SoCal, if someone asked you where you are going and you said "Disney", they would be very confused. Particularly in the LA metro area, people would assume you were going to the Walt Disney Studios off the Ventura Freeway in Burbank. And then they would ask "Why are you going to Burbank on vacation? Are you going to a TV taping or something?" :lol:

The 21st century custom of condensing the phrase "Disney World" into the one-word phrase "Disney", meaning a piece of property in central Florida, is purely an East Coast thing.

Susan Savia

I usually say 'Florida', because if I say Disney, then I get the, "Again?" response and then, "why don't ya try somewhere else for a change" comment...

2princesses

I always say Disney....Florida is completely different from Disney. I also get the "how can you be going there again" comment. Hey after 35 years of visiting the world I am certain it is the best escape from reality out there!!!!

dixiegirl

Original Poster
I also find it funny when someone says "I'm going to Florida , but not Disney , thats too childish." I almost fall over, but like someone had previously said how on earth can you not find something you like at a place as large as WALT DISNEY WORLD?? But I understand to each is own.....

Which in 14 days I'll have mine woooohoooo!!!!

forevermickey

Ok so it dawned on me the other day, someone had asked me where we wre going on vacation (well if they really know me they would not be asking where i go every Septmber, but anyway) I had told them Disney...Not Florida just plain Disney .....It then occured to me how often we do this and how long we've done this... I really can't remember the last time I said Florida..Kinda like Disney is its own state!!! Anyone else do this?

all the time:ROFLOL:

SAV

"Disney and the Beach...10 days" is our reply.

I don't get the "you're going again" stuff. People know we're the Disney nuts and will go there if we can afford to.

Wishes 1971

When we are going to Disney, I'll respond with we're going to Disney....it's always assumed they know we're talking about WDW....

When we are going to the beaches, I'll respond we're going to Florida (or South Carolina, etc.).....

Wishes 1971

Ok so it dawned on me the other day, someone had asked me where we wre going on vacation (well if they really know me they would not be asking where i go every Septmber, but anyway) I had told them Disney...Not Florida just plain Disney .....It then occured to me how often we do this and how long we've done this... I really can't remember the last time I said Florida..Kinda like Disney is its own state!!! Anyone else do this?

Perhaps Disney is like the Vatican.....

joannecasey

I usually say 'Florida', because if I say Disney, then I get the, "Again?" response and then, "why don't ya try somewhere else for a change" comment...

I get that too and I think "why would I want to go anywhere else !!!" Disney really is such a magical place and when I get to go there I say it loud and proud !!!!!! :)

wendysue

Yeah I get the "don't you get sick of that place?" No I don't and after a while they do stop saying that...I also like" Eh well when the kids get bigger you won't have to go there". Or "when the kids get to a certain age they won't want to go there"...Hay I say fine with us, we'll go without them (yes I know depressing , not really) But it'll be alot cheaper......also we were Disney nuts way before they came along...They just got sucked in and brainwashed into the madness!!!

Woohoo 15 more days till I get my Disney fix woohoo!!! And Hopefully the 10yr old does not wimp out of RNR!!!!!!

I LOVE your way of thinking. Taking the kids was great, but now that ours are older (ALOT OLDER), it's wonderful to go by ourselves. 63 days and counting.....:sohappy:

Mickey_777

I say I'm going to Orlando. I spend 4 or 5 days out of 9 days in Orlando at WDW. I also see Universal for a day plus this time we'll probably head to a beach for the day or two etc...plus my wife and I really enjoy hitting the outlet/shopping and a few restaurants not found up here. I'm wierd in that I actually like even the cheesy gift shops...

jato4x4

People look at me funny if i say Florida so i have to say Disney. There's no shame though i don't care what others think i'm a 27 year old kid when i'm there

Eyorefan

I say Disney because if I say Florida people almost always follow-up with "where in Florida".

But yeah, if I say Disney they always just assume I mean Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom