It's not Epcot anymore.. (wand demo pics)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Yes we will. Once a week I will personally start a thread laughing at wand lovers.

Just to start something.
be careful, you might not last long as a member purposely starting stuff, get banned and have to come back under a pseudo name

That's nothing for steel workers, just another days work!
those guys are fearless. well, maybe not fearless... but they sure have some cahonies (sp?)

speaking of steel workers, anyone catch build it bigger last night and the construction of the Maverick and the Griffon. neat stuff to watch. those steel workers were pretty funny.

teebin

How come it took all night to take down 2 letters? That seems really slow! Anyone know what slowed them down?

We had a few extreme thunderstorms in the area last night that may have delayed things. I live 10 miles away and the storms were between here and there.

Not good to climb high on steel work when there is lightning within 10 miles. :lookaroun

Dizknee_Phreek

Minor stuff.. some equipment visible up on the wand...

NCAWY-943141097-100_3018.JPG

Is that a propane tank, perhaps? That'd be one way to get the wand down. :animwink:

tkldisney

We'll be there next Friday, wonder how much will be done by then. Haven't told the rest of the group this is happening. (They don't read the boards) :eek: So they can be surprised. I did like the wand, but change is good so not to disappointed!

DisneyChik17

yes, i can imagine. i knwo that they have to get a lot of the small stuff (ei: the letters) out of the way to then dismantle the structure, but 2 letters a day progress will take until the new year. i know that progress will speed up in due time and safety is always the number 1 issue. Sure enough in 3 months time we will have a bare cement slab that reads, former resting place of the dockside crane and maybe, just maybe we wont have a wand thread ever again.

:D

Not really. 5 days for the letters and say 10 for the actual wand. So, 3 working weeks tops, but I am betting they will work weekends so 2 weeks and one day. At that rate, it'll be down before August.

Note: I have no clue how long dismantling the actual wand will take, but I am guessing longer than the letters.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Not really. 5 days for the letters and say 10 for the actual wand. So, 3 working weeks tops, but I am betting they will work weekends so 2 weeks and one day. At that rate, it'll be down before August.

Note: I have no clue how long dismantling the actual wand will take, but I am guessing longer than the letters.
2 weeks and 1 day? maybe if the put some dynamite under each side. lol

who knows. i guess when the thread that gets started documenting a bare cement pad, it is done.

BSikor

Merf! I was at Epcot this morning too staring at the deconstruction. I overheard someone in line and it made me laugh. One guy was talking to another and pointed out the crane. The other guy said "I wish they would just take a wrecking ball to it and get it over with" Was it you? Since I don't know what you look like I have to guess.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
A few things to clear up..

A) I do not work for Disney/WDW.

B) The letters are huge. The equipment photo shows a walkway with a handrail behind the letters - for an idea of scale. Taking two down in one night is a big task.

bassman

now i wonder wheres the rest of the ride vehicles are like where they're located now. Its amazing how they're doing the work fast.

i think (and hope)
that the reason they are doing everything so fast is because they SE up qand running as close to the start of the epcot 25th celebrations as they can.

its probably highly unlikely but like i said,i think and hope.

jmvd20

The tanks behind the E are indeed parts of cutting torches, that steel that everyone thinks is so hard to remove is cut rather easily with one of those. It takes far less time to remove than it does to install.

The wiring isn't hard to remove, it is the conduit that can become time consuming. I would bet that a fair portion, if not most of the raceway system has been removed which is of course something you wouldn't notice right away.

The letters, I would guess the E is somewhere around 30' tall, the others around 20' - not a bad accomplishment to have removed those on day 2 of the project. Now all they need to do is expand on that pace, in a project such as this the first few days are the slowest and it should progress faster and faster.

I still hold that this is nowhere near a 2 month project, though they may drag it out that long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom