It Could Always Be Worse - Hype Thread

tcool123

Question of the day

What’s your worst hotel experience?​
UCF Orientation trip up. My mom booked some shoddy looking hotel on her phone without checking the reviews.

Our rooms spelt like urine AND we had bedbugs alongside a gecko crawling on our room. It was too much my mom went to the lobby and Karened out. Needless to say we got a full refund and day of cancellation.

We ended up at a Hilton Garden Inn nearby and it had that orange infused water so it was great!

D Hulk

It doesn't fully fit the prompt, but the log cabin story that I posted earlier this month was so bad that it trumps any bad hotel experience I've ever had.
I'll allow it, partly because it's a fantastic (horrible) story, and partly because my own tale of woe is also technically not a hotel.

Question of the day

What’s your worst hotel experience?​
Bangkok Hostel

This was one night in Bangkok which made me humble. It was still within 24 hours of arriving in Thailand from the U.S., so my body hadn’t remotely adjusted time zones yet. And apparently Bangkok is Germany’s Cancun, based on the vast number of drunken German college students whooping it up in our shared hostel dormitory, themselves not adjusted to the local time zone but in the opposite direction. So here we all were, it’s 3 AM, and I’m struggling to get my first sleep since arriving. Around a dozen or so German yahoos were actively coming down from their acid trips, stripping nude while wailing songs about ze Fatherland, and just straight up puking on the floor. Oh right, and there was no AC.

So I noped out right there and then, quietly dressing myself and slinking away into the sweltering Bangkok night with my luggage and no place to stay. I wandered to the nearest party street, thinking I could at least avail myself unto one of the countless 24-hour cocktail bars. Happily, there I found my favorite economy hotel chain, Ibis Styles, and I was able to walk straight in and secure a private air conditioned room for a mere $40…which is supposedly overpriced by Bangkok standards, but $5 got me the Beer Hall Putsch, so in the end I stand by my choice.​

spacemt354

Chili's

I'll allow it, partly because it's a fantastic (horrible) story, and partly because my own tale of woe is also technically not a hotel.

Bangkok Hostel

This was one night in Bangkok which made me humble. It was still within 24 hours of arriving in Thailand from the U.S., so my body hadn’t remotely adjusted time zones yet. And apparently Bangkok is Germany’s Cancun, based on the vast number of drunken German college students whooping it up in our shared hostel dormitory, themselves not adjusted to the local time zone but in the opposite direction. So here we all were, it’s 3 AM, and I’m struggling to get my first sleep since arriving. Around a dozen or so German yahoos were actively coming down from their acid trips, stripping nude while wailing songs about ze Fatherland, and just straight up puking on the floor. Oh right, and there was no AC.

So I noped out right there and then, quietly dressing myself and slinking away into the sweltering Bangkok night with my luggage and no place to stay. I wandered to the nearest party street, thinking I could at least avail myself unto one of the countless 24-hour cocktail bars. Happily, there I found my favorite economy hotel chain, Ibis Styles, and I was able to walk straight in and secure a private air conditioned room for a mere $40…which is supposedly overpriced by Bangkok standards, but $5 got me the Beer Hall Putsch, so in the end I stand by my choice.​
I was wondering if this was going to be a Hulk story or a Hangover Part II tribute but seeing as I don't remember this plot, it seems like a D Hulk story - wow!

tcool123

UCF Orientation trip up. My mom booked some shoddy looking hotel on her phone without checking the reviews.

Our rooms spelt like urine AND we had bedbugs alongside a gecko crawling on our room. It was too much my mom went to the lobby and Karened out. Needless to say we got a full refund and day of cancellation.

We ended up at a Hilton Garden Inn nearby and it had that orange infused water so it was great!
Scratch that new one from right now actually. Our suite room is overbooked and we have 6 people so we needed all three beds. The offered a King room….we’re very very not happy. And in fact my mom looks like this emoji 🤬

Disney Warrior

The exit 12 meme sign is a real sign in Mass (it was photoshopped from a highway without exit signs in Norway, Exit 12 is now Exit 26 though due to mileage based exit numbers.)
4AD2E4E8-8215-493C-85BA-9EE5CE6B52BE.jpeg

Original sign: (note that it‘s not exit 12 anymore, this was probably from 2019 or early 2020)
484FD444-35F2-40F6-A01B-7894AE8BA714.png

tcool123

An Atlanta trip update that shockingly may still appeal to @PerGron albeit for a minute. Today we went 90 minutes north to a city called Helen.

A455CD7F-C82B-4754-A52C-EC12DEB85405.jpeg

As the above picture reveals the whole town is themed to Germany, it’s like the Germany pavilion at Epcot on steroids! Down to the miniature train display:

58CCC031-441A-4B8A-A4A2-B1C44CD3392B.jpeg

For lunch I had chicken schnitzel (I think) and some chocolate fudge as a sweet. A one up on the Germany pavilion was that Helen has a rollercoaster, pushing my coaster count up by one!

64BC4DA8-5FD4-44C7-88D4-7734609739A4.jpeg

This was an alpine coaster through the mountains that you got to control the speed of, and it was quite fun! Helen also has river tubing however due to the intense rain throughout the day it was closed as the normally cam river began to overflow and was filled with miniature rapids. Undeterred I looked on my phone for an extra activity so we wouldn’t have driven for nothing. This led to us finding Ruby Falls in a National Park nearby.

B2B088B5-AB1B-4E0C-B5F8-99E790E5A368.jpeg
E0F6D3A7-B532-43C1-9958-C6744325D9E0.jpeg

And @PerGron this is the part you waited for, our encounter with a wild animal. On our way out we noticed a trail for those that have accessibility issues such as needing to stay in a wheelchair, blindness, etc. I was reading a sign about how this specific tree was important to the local Cherokee people, and when I went to look at the tree I was mere feet away from a Timerland Rattlesnake (according to the park ranger).

B7932998-6C94-4997-8CC6-1D349C600793.jpeg

I noticed the headshape and immediately jumped away as I knew that it meant trouble as snakes with those heads are dangerous. I let my family know, and my mom and I left immediately. My brother took the photo you saw of it, and is the photo I showed to the park ranger to get more info. The snake was supposedly relocated and needless to say this was a really memorable day.

Also w t f yall northern states need to learn that summer does not mean the upper 60s I was brutally unprepared for this kinda cold weather 😭

Last edited:

PerGron

An Atlanta trip update I’m sure @PerGron will love, today was our Zoo Atlanta and Georgia Aquarium day!

View attachment 573417View attachment 573418View attachment 573422View attachment 573423View attachment 573425View attachment 573426

This following picture reminds of One Sentence Competition who here can remember the user that wrote a fascinating submission for this crustacean 😉

View attachment 573427View attachment 573428View attachment 573429View attachment 573430
Great pics! Which did you prefer, Zoo or Aquarium? I’m more partial to zoos (obviously) but I’m always curious what others think, especially where both are so highly regarded.

And @PerGron this is the part you waited for, our encounter with a wild animal. On our way out we noticed a trail for those that have accessibility issues such as needing to stay in a wheelchair, blindness, etc. I was reading a sign about how this specific tree was important to the local Cherokee people, and when I went to look at the tree I was mere feet away from a Timerland Rattlesnake (according to the park ranger).

B7932998-6C94-4997-8CC6-1D349C600793.jpeg

I noticed the headshape and immediately jumped away as I knew that it meant trouble as snakes with those heads are dangerous. I let my family know, and my mom and I left immediately. My brother took the photo you saw of it, and is the photo I showed to the park ranger to get more info. The snake was supposedly relocated and needless to say this was a really memorable day.
Cute little snake! Timber rattlers are the only venomous snake in New England, but they’ve been extirpated from Maine and most of New Hampshire so I’ve never been lucky enough to come across one in the wild, so you’re super lucky (even if Georgia has significantly more venomous snakes haha)

tcool123

Great pics! Which did you prefer, Zoo or Aquarium? I’m more partial to zoos (obviously) but I’m always curious what others think, especially where both are so highly regarded.
I preferred the Zoo as I find land animals more interesting and captivating than their marine counterparts. I felt like I could spend an endless amount of time looking at the animals and would have been there longer had I not been there with my family.

Not to diminish the aquarium I thought it was spectacular as well and it was very well themed on par with something you would expect at Disney. I wish we spent more time there to experience the 4D version of Happy Feet but apparently my family needs food 🙄

Cute little snake! Timber rattlers are the only venomous snake in New England, but they’ve been extirpated from Maine and most of New Hampshire so I’ve never been lucky enough to come across one in the wild, so you’re super lucky (even if Georgia has significantly more venomous snakes haha)

We definitely felt lucky, the park ranger said it was so docile due to the cold in the area. Which I believe since it was in the 60’s, gray, and rainy. Obviously didn’t know any of this until after meeting up with the park ranger 😅

Don’t know about Georgia’s venomous snake population but I’ll take your word on it 😁

Glad to see you made it the Georgia Aquarium! I enjoyed my time there in late April!
I would want to go back if I return still missed a lot of things, and don’t think I’ll revisit the Zoo as a lot of the species I can see at my home zoos (along with way more animals). With that said I did enjoy seeing all of the animals unique to me such as the Fossa, Bearcat, Red Panda, Giant Panda, Whale Shark and Mantas.

Truly was a great experience, maybe if SeaWorld ever gets rid of the Shamu Stadium they could install a similar whale shark experience.

Last edited:

Outbound

Went to the Monterey Aquarium yesterday as part of our college roadtrip (aka the reason I’ve done nothing in sywtbai this week). Awesome aquarium, only downside was they overcrowded it with people despite it now being reservations and masks-on only.

While there I participated in my favorite aquarium activity. Taking weird pictures of moray eels

75EFFF93-21D4-44AF-99E1-A3C846127FEA.jpeg

E53768DD-AE33-41AA-87A1-0990ADD17F02.jpeg

And from today, driving down the 1:

570A8F8B-E85E-413F-8120-86A1E92B3FA6.jpeg

PerGron

Went to the Monterey Aquarium yesterday as part of our college roadtrip (aka the reason I’ve done nothing in sywtbai this week). Awesome aquarium, only downside was they overcrowded it with people despite it now being reservations and masks-on only.

While there I participated in my favorite aquarium activity. Taking weird pictures of moray eels

View attachment 573802
View attachment 573803

View attachment 573809
Everyone out here visiting aquariums that are must-dos on my list this week

D Hulk

View attachment 573802
View attachment 573803

View attachment 573809
Monterrey Aquarium is rad! I ‘memba one time when I visited, they had a great white shark in the huge swirling open ocean tank, and all the other fishies were giving it the widest possible berth.

If you’re not careful, soon you’ll head far enough down PCH that you’ll enter Hulk’s territory! Then I’ll insist that we meet up at like Magic Mountain or SeaWorld or whatever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom