Is Your Cocktail Table Bare? Try Walt Disney's Disneyland...

Castle Cake Apologist

You guys should check out www.thriftbooks.com. I've added quite a few books to my Disney Parks collection through them, including the occasional out of print book. Books are usually priced between $4.00-$10.00. Very reasonable prices and I believe free shipping on orders over $10. You can also make a wish list with items that aren't in stock, and they'll email you when they come in.

Last edited:

Stevek

You guys should check out www.thriftbooks.com. I've added quite a few books to my Disney Parks collection through them, including the occasional out of print book. Books are usually priced between $4.00-$10.00. Very reasonable prices and I believe free shipping on orders over $10. You can also make a wish list with items that aren't in stock, and they'll email you when they come in.
Thanks! Some good prices there.

Stevek

Thanks! Buying used items on Amazon is a bit confusing. It seems they just list all of the items with the same pictures?

Always check the product details...they "should" have these correct. This shows the link I posted as the second (blue) edition.
1531241991536.png

SuddenStorm

This book will go nicely with my other Disney hard cover books. Any recommendations on other good Disney books to add to my collection?

I've recently started collecting Disneyland history specific books heavily, beyond the occasional pickups I've had for the last decade.

The various souvenir books they've released over the years offer loads of great historical photos. Many can be found for less than $10.

Cleaning the Kingdom (written by the guys that do the Sweep Spot Podcast) was an interesting read. Could be a bit shorter, but it offers a look at working at the parks during the Pressler era, which is interesting. Signed copies are currently on sale for $10 on their website:

http://www.thesweepspot.com/

Theme Park Press has a few Disneyland books. Most of their stuff looks tacky and cheap, but Jim Korkis (Disney historian) has the two books Secret Stories of Disneyland and More Secret Stories of Disneyland- each is $15 on Amazon. Quick reads, but good.

Secret Stories of Disneyland
More Secret Stories of Disneyland

The acclaimed book Window On Main Street written by Van Arsdale France (founder of Disney University and pioneered Disney's CM training programs. Hired in 1955) was out of print for a bit, but it has been republished by Theme Park Press. A great read.

Window On Main Street: 35 Years of Creating Happiness at Disneyland Park

The Haunted Mansion specific book The Unauthorized Story of Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion is a great summary of the development of the attraction, and a must read before delving deeper into Haunted Mansion mythology.

The Unauthorized Story of Walt Disney's Haunted Mansion: Second Edition

Tony Baxter's biography written by Tim O'Brian is good. In an interview, Tony says that everything in the book is 100% accurate- and in a separate interview, O'Brian says that the book could have been 600 pages with all the info Tony gave him (which makes me incredibly frustrated that it's only 100 pages).

Tony Baxter: First of the Second Generation of Walt Disney Imagineers

Jason Surrell's books- Disney Mountains, Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean are all must haves.

Marty Sklar's book Dream It! Do It! is a good read and $10 on Amazon:

Dream It! Do It!: My Half-Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms

And last, but definitely not least, I can't recommend the book Three Years in Wonderland by Todd James Pierce enough. Meticulously researched, the book outlines the creation of Disneyland. I learned a LOT reading it since it delves beyond the white washed official Disney history that's been repeated ad nauseum for the last half century. If you only get one book in this list, make it this.

Three Years in Wonderland: The Disney Brothers, C. V. Wood, and the Making of the Great American Theme Park

There are so many Disney park books in circulation with more getting released all the time, I'd be an advocate for compiling a list of WDWmagic's must reads.

nevol

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ve heard of the Nickel Tour but wasn’t sure what it was about. Never heard of the Disneyland Paris book. Both sound very interesting. I’m going to have to look them up on eBay. I totally agree in regard to the souvenir books.
Disneyland Paris: From Sketch to Reality is still available! just check facebook for Disney and More. Alain runs the page. Its his book. He has about 50 English hardcovers left. I just got mine recently. I'll be at Disneyland Paris July 21! Yay!

nevol

nevol

Designing Disney by John Hench
Architecture of Reassurance: Designing Disney's Theme Parks (lots of info maybe a bit of a dry read)
First Walt Disney Imagineering Book
Imagineering Field Guides, short and simple for each domestic park
My list exactly! that and the good ol' 4 page article I keep sharing, "Disneyland is good for you." Just google it.

mickEblu

Disneyland Paris: From Sketch to Reality is still available! just check facebook for Disney and More. Alain runs the page. Its his book. He has about 50 English hardcovers left. I just got mine recently. I'll be at Disneyland Paris July 21! Yay!

Thanks! @Practical Pig posted about it yesterday but I didn’t know he had a Facebook page. I just emailed him 😊

mickEblu

BTW... lucky you!! Have a great trip! We ll be expecting a full trip report.
How many days are you going for? Will you be seeing other parts of Paris/ France? Or other countries?

nevol

BTW... lucky you!! Have a great trip! We ll be expecting a full trip report.
How many days are you going for? Will you be seeing other parts of Paris/ France? Or other countries?
I might hit up Alain and see if he will join me at the park too. Haven't decided yet on that. A happy medium would be to have dinner or something in the park with him but spend some time alone with the people I'll be with. I'm just going for one day. Wedding in the south of france about a week later. Flying out of LA the 19th, getting in the 20th? Certainly a red eye. Covering as much of paris as possible on day 1, dlp day 2, then flying to madrid and driving up from there hitting beach towns on the way. If I need more time in paris I might have to just hurry back and fit a day in before I fly out. I honestly feel weird spending 50% of my time in paris at disneyland but I also would feel regret for not going at all since this is something I've wanted to do forever. I made an itinerary for when I'm at the park and it includes about 3 rides LOL. That park will be all about exploring; the arcades, seeing the mural in plaza gardens, the dragon and the stained glass windows in the castle, the alice maze, nautilus, tree house and pirate ship.

As for more Disney reading, Joe Rohde shared his reading list for theme park designers and none of the books were industry-specific. I'll have to hunt the list down. A lot of the stuff was out of print. More along the lines of architecture/humanism, anthropology, and storytelling fundamentals. I went to grad school last year and bought up all of these books alongside my existing curriculum.

Theme Park Design (David Younger) Good catch-all book about process, lots of examples of things in existing attractions. Really redundant though but it is the only source that covers just about everything. It covers the current industry well but is light on philosophy.
The Mouse and the Myth (really good read. Disneyland through a mythology and theology lens. Juiciest analysis of the theme parks since John Hench or Architecture of Reassurance.)
Disney Vs. Universal. I haven't touched a lot of Sam Gennenway's books but I imagine they're all entertaining
The rest I haven't touched yet:
Three Years in Wonderland
Building Magic: Disney's Overseas Theme Parks

And then I have a bunch of non-theme park books to just strengthen storytelling: Writing subtext, understanding show, don't tell, the aesthetic of play, the psychology workbook for writers, story climax, writing active setting, etc. all cheap workbooks for writers essentially. This kind of stuff really reenergizes the theme park discussion. Theme park books can only go so far, but making connections with other subjects makes it more rich.

I also have some academic articles that my professors shared in architecture school that I can try to hunt down. I'll share the pdfs with anyone who would like them. One in particular analyzes tomorrowland and future world in the 80s, comparing them with the cyberpunk movement of the era. How disney's futurism is autocratic and top-down, whereas cyberpunks are more insurgent citizens. Really incredible insights about Disney parks being a giant computer and guests the electrons moving through the system, and simply by penetrating and confronting the future, we become cyber punks. Other interesting observations about how Disney parks dress down technology with folk art as a way of making it less scary. One could also look at star tours and see that the simple "something goes wrong" narrative (star tours being the first time in a disney park that "something goes wrong") is a way that humans can laugh at technology rather than feel threatened by its emerging superiority. That idea lends itself to the concept of reassurance that john hench spoke about so often, that disneyland's experiences are all about survival and that survival lightens the burden of fears we have about our reality. I guess you don't actually need to read it anymore lol

preproduction blueprint: how to plan game environments and level designs is really F-ing cool. Basically lifted the techniques as a way of procedurally approaching land design because they are so similar. The difference only being that in level design, the character typically has obstacles between point A and point B and the character has a "spawning" location where they first emerge in the landscape. In theme park design, the entrances are the spawning locations and there aren't obstacles, but everything else is the same; why is the character there? what happened before you got there? how will the player/guest orient themselves in the space (weinies)?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom