Is Your Cocktail Table Bare? Try Walt Disney's Disneyland...

SuddenStorm

That's written by Todd James Pierce from the Disney History Institute site. Author of Three Years in Wonderland, which is perhaps the greatest account of Disneyland's creation in existence. If there was ever a Disney history author to support, it's him.

comicguy

For those that like the Disneyland "insider" stories, here's a couple:

In Service to the Mouse - Bio of Jack Lindquist who was the Pres of Disneyland from 90-93 and began working at DL in 1955
The Last Original Disneylander - Bob Penfield...the last to retire of the first hired
Mouse Tales/More Mouse Tales - David Koenig
It's Kind of a Cute Story - Rolly Crump
From Disneyland's Tom Sawyer to Disney Legend - Tom Nabbe
From Jungle Cruise Skipper to Disney Legend - William "Sully" Sullivan
Window on Main Street - Van Arsdale France (this was a very expensive book to find for quite awhile, has recently been reprinted)

Other books (Disney or Disney Parks related):
Marc Davis-Walt Disney's Renaissance Man
Harriet Burns-Walt Disney's First Lady of Imagineering
Walt Disney's America (great coffee table book)
Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad
Disneyland Hotel: The Early Years
Haunted Mansion: Imagineering a Classic
Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
Spinning Disney's World - Charles Ridgeway, longtime PR guy for Disney parks
Vault of Walt - Various editions by Jim Korkis
Together in a Dream - Suzanne and RJ Ogren (WDW Focused)
Building a Better Mouse: The Story of the Electronic Imagineers who designed Epcot - Steve Alcorn

Although the editing can be hit an miss, I strongly suggest folks check out www.themeparkpress.com

Lots of really great books...if you like insider stories from former CM's or college program people, there are some very good reads available from them as well (your mileage may vary). If you have a Kindle, lots of their books are free on Kindle unlimited or very low priced if you don't have kindle unlimited.

Looking down your list, I was surprised to discover a book I'd never heard of -- "Walt Disney's America". Found a cheap copy on eBay and snapped it up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Stevek

Does anyone know if the version from Marty Sklar from the 60s is worth owning? I see quite a few on ebay.

Any other good picturebook recommendations for Disneyland?

I have the 1969 version, It's a good one with a lot of older pics from the 60's or earlier. I'm a pretty avid Disney parks book collector and all of the following are good IMO:

If I remember correctly, these first 3 have quite a few redundant pictures

There are 3 different releases with this same title: https://www.amazon.com/Disneyland-Then-Now-Forever-ODay/dp/0786854421/ref=sr_1_1?crid=AC8QW43B4BYK&dchild=1&keywords=disneyland+then+now+and+forever&qid=1591237556&s=books&sprefix=disneyland+then+now,stripbooks,203&sr=1-1

I would also highly recommend the 2 book Marc Davis release. It's spectacular to say the least.

Stevek

This is a portion of my collection. Bottom row has a good selection of what I posted above
6EC3B615-D7CE-494D-A7AE-A438D8C8C2DE.jpeg

jmuboy

This is a portion of my collection. Bottom row has a good selection of what I posted above View attachment 474480

Your collection looks a lot like mine! Great book choices. if you can find and afford it you just need the Nickel Tour!

As for new books I must also recommend this. Its HUGE and gorgeous.

Stevek

Your collection looks a lot like mine! Great book choices. if you can find and afford it you just need the Nickel Tour!

As for new books I must also recommend this. Its HUGE and gorgeous.

Nickel Tour (Second Edition) is in there. Amazing book and agree on Marc Davis book. Stellar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom