Is Whispering Canyon Cafe worth the travel?

nolamom

Original Poster
We have 2 DDs, ages 3 1/2 and 19 months and will be going to WDW next month. We LOVE Wilderness Lodge (stayed there for honeymoon) and would like the kids' to see the ginormous Christmas tree there. But, is Whispering Canyon worth it? I remember eating there back in 2001 and wasn't all that impressed, but maybe it's worth it with kids?

tigsmom

We like breakfast or lunch better than dinner (too smokey for the kids). Why not head over for the all you care to eat breakfast skillet...scrambled eggs, bacon, pine cone waffles, potatoes sausage , biscuits and gravy... you can all share and get extra of whatever you want. It is our only "must have" breakfast at WDW. :slurp: (they have a kids menu too) The kids can color and join the clean plate club, have a pony race or any of the other shenanigans that go on there.

You can take in the decorations, shop or just hang out in front of the fireplace and have some hot chocolate.

Cubs Brian

Plain and simple, YES YES YES it's worth it. It's become a must do on every trip for us. Our 2 boys(9 and 5) love it.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

coltow

100 times yes! It's fun and loud so kids fit right in. We are actually taking our kids over for breakfast on 12/10. We knew we wanted to see the tree so we figured it would give us an excuse to eat wheile we were there.

debidee

It's well worth it....went there a couple of weeks ago as part of the 'behind the magic' tour....it is pretty loud as the waitress's get everyone up to race and sing throughout...kids seem to love it!:ROFLOL:

slappy magoo

If you're planning on ever going to MVMCP, consider making as late a lunch reservation as possible at WCC. They stop seating lunch at or just before 2:30. Plan on getting to WL early, regardless of whether you drive/cab it, or use Disney transportation. This gives you time to soak in the sights.

After lunch, it'll probably be close enough to 4pm (the earliest you can enter MK using MVMCP tix) that you can jump on the next available ferry & head on over. Only potential wrench in the plan will be if the kids need more rest before going to MVMCP.

SchultzFamily

Personally, it was the wrose meal of our trip last year. We saw none of the antics everyone talks about (and we sat waiting for our table 35 minutes past our ADR) so we would have heard anything going on; we were stuck in the back room (probably because we had no kids); service was terrible and we made the mistake of ordering the skillet--absolutely overrated in our personal opinion. DH got sick on the chicken/ribs (and we know it was one of those two items because after I tasted the other stuff I stopped eating because it was so bad). We were never asked about dessert and it took forever to get our drinks, food and bill.

harryk

Personally, it was the wrose meal of our trip last year. We saw none of the antics everyone talks about (and we sat waiting for our table 35 minutes past our ADR) so we would have heard anything going on; we were stuck in the back room (probably because we had no kids); service was terrible and we made the mistake of ordering the skillet--absolutely overrated in our personal opinion. DH got sick on the chicken/ribs (and we know it was one of those two items because after I tasted the other stuff I stopped eating because it was so bad). We were never asked about dessert and it took forever to get our drinks, food and bill.
Sorry to read this review...My family stays at the VWL each year and we have never experienced this...I do hope that you let management know of this poor service and unsatisfactory food. I find this so unusual and distressing...:shrug: :mad:

18 days to VWL:xmas:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
We have reviews of Whispering Canyon here. We'd love for those of you who have commented about Whispering Canyon to add your reviews if you have some time. :wave:

Bug715

My family loves it and we don't even have any kids. My dad heard some people on the bus talking about how good it was so we tried it when he came down. We raved about it so much and liked WL that we ate there Christmas morning last year when my parents were down. This year we get in Christmas night and I just made an ADR for 12/26! We are so excited!!

lighteningqueen

We loved it as well, had a dud for a waiter but we wanted to eat too tired to joke with although we did get the tons of ketchup. then when we had to give it up our grandson had not even gotten to get his and cried it was pityful... Loved it though and are going back in 2 weeks

Disneyfalcon

We really liked it but the bottomless milkshakes did us in. It seemed like such a great idea...until we were drinking our second glass before the first course even came.:lookaroun By the time dessert came we were all ready to hurl.:lol:

mouselvrmom

We did have some trouble getting there for breakfast. We took a bus from ssr to mk, hoping to catch a boat to the lodge. the boats weren't running yet since it was before park opening. So we waited in the bus line. Lots of buses dropped off there, but said they weren't going to the lodge, they were going elsewhere. I was ready to skip our reservations I was so frustrated!

Well, we waited ten more minutes and finally got a bus there. It was well worth it! Our waiter was great! The atmosphere was fun! And the food was all you can eat. :D

My kids loved the hotel. They asked why we hadn't stayed there before. :lol:

ThinkTink721

I have never been during Christmas, but I have eaten at Whispering Canyon & it is definitely worth it! :slurp:
It is absolutely one of our favorites - after Ohana's dinner.

:wave:

KingdomHeart

I love it - I think it's one of my must-do's. My boyfriend prefers Trails End. But I think WCC is awesome and you should totally eat there. Only complaint was once they brought out that table buffet spinning thing filled with meat (I know how bad that sounds), and somehow all the meat was cold. So I had to send it back, which made me feel like a ******, and then my waitress was less playful the whole time. But that was once of like 10x. The other 9 are ringing endorsements of fun, friendly (to an extent, I guess - they can go too far ((once I saw them make a boy who spilled his soda mop it up and even another waitress said "WHOA YOU DO IT STOP THAT CHILD"))) wait staff, with terrific attitudes, GREAT food, constant distraction, and a lot of fun - the atmosphere lends itself to a good time.
-Nicholas

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
For your kids yes yes yes!!! We have eaten there 4 times and while I don't think the skillet is that awesome...the meatloaf and pasta dishes were delicious in my opinion. We loved sitting in the lobby til the dinner bell rang and each experience held different surprises for the kids. Last time they asked where the hidden mickey was by the fireplace after searching in vain and were delighted to have the CM give them a better clue....boat ride to the MK either way is a treat and easy access to my favorite park in the world....:D

kathyjacks

Wow this is shocking! This was one of my familys favorite resturants out of the 10 we tried while at WDW.I guess it depends on your taste in food. We are average joe people who love to bbq burgers , ribs , and chicken on the grill. It was delicious. The only other resturant I loved more was Ohanas and they have since changed their menu :veryconfu. Some of the ones I ate at were Liberty Tree Tavern, Garden Grill,Ohanas,Le Celliar,Crystal Palace,1900 Park Fare,Chef Mickeys ( lots of character meals for the kids).And like I said Ohanas would be rated #1 in my opinion out of these and Whispering Canyon would be a close 2nd. So yes yes yes so worth it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom