Is WDI capable of making a dark right like Universal?

EpcotServo

Yeah, as much as I love Universal, you can't beat Indiana Jones Adventure. You just can't.

and I think a major blockade to this is that now dark Rides have gotten more and more intense to be thrilling, starting with Indy, and ending in Harry Potter, a ride so advanced it can't take the weight of a good percentage of guests.

I'm sure it's an amazing ride with no equal, but there is an inherit and fundamentally special value in a ride like Midway Mania that anyone from 2 to 92 can enjoy. I think at the worst of times when Universal shines in the way only they can do, don't lose sight of what Disney does that's special despite the horrible accounting.

This wouldn't be so violently clear if they put that skill to use here this year like they did for World of Color at DCA.

SleepingMonk

Me thinkst you should make a trip over the pond and ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

Have you guys been on Potter yet?

I don't see how you can even compare PHH to that. You can see other ride vehicles in PHH, the floor, the lighting, etc....it's not exactly an immersive environment.

Potter is in another league.

CoffeeJedi

Yeah, I've seen videos of Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It's a very cute ride, innovative ride system, nice immersive environment, but it's no IJA.

Now I would like to go on HPFJ; it does seem like a great ride, but I still have a hard time thinking that video screens will top actual fire, water, and animatronics.

misterID

I don't know if I'd blame this on Disney, because they are starting to get back on track over at DL. It has more to do with which coast you're talking about. TDO sucks.

Personally, I think WDI could blow anything UNI has done out of the water, but they haven't been allowed to. But I think things are turning for the better now. You're just not going to see any of it at WDW.

But I know I'm more excited to go to DL than UNI right now. And I really want to see Potter.

SleepingMonk

Yeah, I've seen videos of Pooh's Hunny Hunt. It's a very cute ride, innovative ride system, nice immersive environment, but it's no IJA.

Now I would like to go on HPFJ; it does seem like a great ride, but I still have a hard time thinking that video screens will top actual fire, water, and animatronics.

Yes Potter uses screens but it also includes real effects, huge set pieces and animatronics.

Best of all it puts you DIRECTLY in the center of everything. Other rides have you far away like an observer looking at a stage. Potter puts you right in the middle of it all.

stlbobby

I believe Disney can, but they just dont seem to be in the business of doing that anymore. It seems most things in recent years lack the ambition and originallity that made Disney Theme Parks such an outstanding brand. When I think of Epcot's origninal ambitions and elaborate attractions, and compare it with the new experiences on the very same property, I notice a disturbing trend.

Instead of ambition to create the most emersive experience, I see more cost efficient watered down experiences that pale in comparison to the scale that once exsisted. Disney Theme Parks have become a strong enough brand that they no longer have to focus on 'wowing' there customers. Instead Disney seems to rely on its historic reputation and less on continuing to build on it. Of course this is only my opinion.

I don't think Disney is resting on it's laurels at all. They have introduced several innovative rides in the past years. TSMM, M:S, R'n'R, Soarin', and EE. All are immersive and innovative. Sure they haven't designed any new dark rides lately, because they have a plethora of those. They have made a conscious effort to add more thrill rides and interactive experiences because that is what people want.

Just because they were not adding the types of rides you wanted them to add doesn't mean they are relying on their reputation. You may not like what they have done or enjoy the types of attractions they have developed, but to say they aren't doing anything is patently untrue. They are progressing, it is just in a direction you don't like.

misterID

I don't think Disney is resting on it's laurels at all. They have introduced several innovative rides in the past years. TSMM, M:S, R'n'R, Soarin', and EE. All are immersive and innovative. Sure they haven't designed any new dark rides lately, because they have a plethora of those. They have made a conscious effort to add more thrill rides and interactive experiences because that is what people want.

Just because they were not adding the types of rides you wanted them to add doesn't mean they are relying on their reputation. You may not like what they have done or enjoy the types of attractions they have developed, but to say they aren't doing anything is patently untrue. They are progressing, it is just in a direction you don't like.

I seriously wouldn't put any of those in the league of Spider Man. Not even close. Not saying they're not fun, though.

And M:S... Maybe I expected way too much when it opened and that's put a bad taste in my mouth, but I've never been impressed with it. And I never ride it anymore. I've never saw it as a big achievement for disney.

SleepingMonk

Toy Story Mania and Expedition Everest.

Again, not even close.

Midway isn't even in the same ballpark, just not even close.

EE has a great queue and theme but it falls short after that.

I'm not even a Potter fan, never read the books but like the movies well enough. I can't stress enough that Universal has gone above and beyond with this one though. Attention to detail, theme, quality etc....just make it something special.

Buried20KLeague

Have you guys been on Potter yet?

I don't see how you can even compare PHH to that. You can see other ride vehicles in PHH, the floor, the lighting, etc....it's not exactly an immersive environment.

Potter is in another league.

I should have prefaced... I was meaning Pooh was the best dark ride Disney has made, in reference to what WDI can (and has) done. Sorry 'bout that. :wave:

And that's WDI with virtually no money limitations, too. And I think Spidey is better than Pooh. And From all accounts, HP trumps Spidey.

oochr1soo

I rode Spiderman i think the same year it opened and to this day it still is hands down the best ride I've ever been on.. I even love MIB over there..That's another great ride they have..

As cool as the fantasyland expansion sounds it just leaves me saying "that's it?".. I expected a whole bunch more..

stlbobby

I seriously wouldn't put any of those in the league of Spider Man. Not even close. Not saying they're not fun, though.

And M:S... Maybe I expected way too much when it opened and that's put a bad taste in my mouth, but I've never been impressed with it. And I never ride it anymore. I've never saw it as a big achievement for disney.

I am not arguing the merits of these rides, especially compared to the Universal rides, because I've never done Universal.

I was responding to a previous post that stated Disney was only relying on it's reputation and not innovating. Whether you like the rides I mentioned or not, they are innovative. Disney reportedly spent $100 million dollars on M:S, and it does things no other rides does. Soarin' is an old idea, but with many new twists. The R'n'R pioneered the idea of putting a soundtrack on a roller coaster. EE takes the rider forward and backward and before his problems the Yeti was an awesome effect. TSMM is a massive leap forward in combining a ride with a game.

You may not like these rides, but you cannot say, as the post I was responding to did, that Disney is just sitting back and no longer innovating.

stlbobby

Yes Spiderman is pure dead rubbish. Remind me again what immersive well themed rides Disney has created since it opened.

Toy Story Mania and Expedition Everest.

An Ok coaster in a fibreglass hill with loads of effects that dont work, and a giant Wi on a track. Hell these dont even get close to the levels that Spiderman is getting criticised for.

SURELY you jest.

So TSMM and EE aren't immersive and well themed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom