Is this really a service dog?

EOD K9

The abuse is out of control. Saw some man at MCO with his "service" dog who was barking all over the place. He finally had to give it food to quite it down. They need to lock up these fraudsters. It's not fair to the people who really need service dogs.
You know how people run around on “Stolen Valor” videos and screaming Stolen Valor?.....can we come up with something similar? I’m ok with yelling “Fraud” at people.

Lilofan

Under the ADA, it is illegal to use a fake service dog. It is also a federal crime. Some states like CA and NJ, have penalties like fines and/or jail time.

jaklgreen

Flight to MCO last night, sat next to some perfectly healthy woman in her low 30s with her service greyhound on the plane. Purely an ESA, as she told the boarding agent as such. It proceeded to bark and lunge at any kid who walked by - adults were fine. Obviously a trained professional. :rolleyes:

It is shocking that the flight attendants did not remove this animal. If that dog lunged at my child, I sure as heck would be talking to them about it. What if she was walking down the isle to go to the bathroom with this dog and it bit a child. I don't understand what is wrong with the brain of these people. It is obvious selfishness on their part. Not only can they harm someone, their dog can then be euthanized as a dangerous animal. Anyone who loves their animals, does not put them in that situation.

CAV

It could quite possible be a Emotional Support Service Dog.
No such thing.

There are Service Animals. They can be dogs and miniature horses, per the ADA. Miniature horses are qualified because they live about three times as long as a dog (35 years) and can do many of the same tasks. They have to perform specific tasks.

Then there are Emotional Support Animals. They don't have to perform any specific tasks. They are only allowed on planes under the Air Carrier Access Act.

RobWDW1971

Under the ADA, it is illegal to use a fake service dog. It is also a federal crime. Some states like CA and NJ, have penalties like fines and/or jail time.
And in CA it is even more outrageous - it is now against the law for apartment owners/landlords to charge a monthly pet fee for a "service/comfort animal". No need to tell you that once people found this out instantly entire apartment buildings became full of "service animals" overnight, leaving the landlords to foot the bill for the damage the animals do. Once again virtue signaling legislatures never pause for a second to actually consider the impact of their laws.

Smiley/OCD

In NJ, no one that I'm aware of has ever been fined let alone jailed for having a fake service animal. We need licences to drive, get married, buy a gun, now it's time to have a UNIVERSAL service, support animal. They should be registered and licensed by an independent agency that is accredited and is deemed acceptable by a federal agency. Until the federal policy is changed, this problem will never be solved. If I need a permit to cut down a tree on my property, I should have to obtain a permit/license for my service animal. For the honest people that truly need one, I'm sorry, but as usual, the bad ones ruin it for everyone else.

NiarrNDisney

No you didn't. You made up a completely new term "Emotional Support Service Dog.*

Oh lawd this again? My present to myself is that I am not even going to bother with this conversation especially since I originally had it back in April of 2018. Happy Holidays to you! Find someone else to troll as my next step will be to ignore you.

Edit: Any further questions please refer to post #234 that I made on Apr. 19th 2018 as it sums up my feelings.

Last edited:

thomas998

In NJ, no one that I'm aware of has ever been fined let alone jailed for having a fake service animal. We need licences to drive, get married, buy a gun, now it's time to have a UNIVERSAL service, support animal. They should be registered and licensed by an independent agency that is accredited and is deemed acceptable by a federal agency. Until the federal policy is changed, this problem will never be solved. If I need a permit to cut down a tree on my property, I should have to obtain a permit/license for my service animal. For the honest people that truly need one, I'm sorry, but as usual, the bad ones ruin it for everyone else.
The closest example is a handicap license plate or hang tag for your car. The DMV doesn't just hand them out like candy, you have to get a licensed medical doctor to sign a form that indicates you need that handicap tag... How hard would it be to simply require a person that needs a service dog to do the same thing and then just be required to slip the official license from the government into whatever doggie vest the dog wears so everyone would know it was a legit animal.

Lilofan

You know how people run around on “Stolen Valor” videos and screaming Stolen Valor?.....can we come up with something similar? I’m ok with yelling “Fraud” at people.
You're brave to yell Fraud at people you don't know. There are some people that carry concealed weapons so one never knows how someone is going to react.

thomas998

You're brave to yell Fraud at people you don't know. There are some people that carry concealed weapons so one never knows how someone is going to react.
Well that would be a interesting conundrum... since owning having a concealed carry or even owning a gun is illegal if you have a mental illness I'm not sure how one of these people that need the emotional support animals could legally have a gun. I mean it seems logical to most people that needing to have a mini-horse with you 24/7 would certainly fall into the category of mental illness.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Regarding your response above to @EOD K9 , I assume you're referencing within the parks only. If so, wouldn't the metal detectors at guest security check-in areas, set off a signal for a hidden weapon? I would hope so! ;) Note: EOD K9 is a K9 police officer, (as he's shared in the forums before), so my guess is he's trained to handle difficult situations with people.

Lilofan

Regarding your response above to @EOD K9 , I assume you're referencing within the parks only. If so, wouldn't the metal detectors at guest security check-in areas, set off a signal for a hidden weapon? I would hope so! ;) Note: EOD K9 is a K9 police officer, (as he's shared in the forums before), so my guess is he's trained to handle difficult situations with people.
The forum member I assumed yelling "fraud" in everyday circumstances not just to enter a theme park. And one knows there is no bag check to enter the Disney Springs complex.

Lilofan

Well that would be a interesting conundrum... since owning having a concealed carry or even owning a gun is illegal if you have a mental illness I'm not sure how one of these people that need the emotional support animals could legally have a gun. I mean it seems logical to most people that needing to have a mini-horse with you 24/7 would certainly fall into the category of mental illness.
To each his own however I would not yell "fraud" to an unsuspecting person out in public. Would you and then be prepared for their reactive measures?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I mean it seems logical to most people that needing to have a mini-horse with you 24/7 would certainly fall into the category of mental illness.
Time out -- mini-horses are recognized by law as service animals trained to perform specific physical functions people can't perform themselves.

Needing one 24/7 is NOT an indication of mental illness.

I recommend you change your "mini-horse" reference to "ferret" or "penguin."

Last edited:

thomas998

Time out -- mini-horses are recognized by law as service animals trained to perform specific physical functions people can't perform themselves.

Needing one 24/7 is NOT an indication of mental illness.

I recommend you change your "mini-horse" reference to "ferret" or "penguin."
Never seen a mini-horse that was trained as a seeing eye dog, they are used by people that need "emotional support" which falls into the mental illness category. If they were leading around a blind person then it would be a physical condition but anytime someone needs a mini-horse, ferret or any other animal for companionship that's a mental illness. Normal people don't need to have their pet to keep from having a panic attack, though I seriously doubt any of the con-artists running around with their mini-horses or other animals would really have a panic attack as they are just trying to game the system. It seems so funny that years ago you never heard about anyone needing a emotional support animal.. .now suddenly when airlines are forced to allow them everyone start popping up with a need for one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom