Is this really a service dog?

MickeyLuv'r

parents of these "allergic" kids seem to have no idea of what the allergy is, nor do they seem to really care about fixing it because there are treatments for the allergy and you would think if you had a kid that was deathly allergic to something and you could cure it that you would.
There is no cure for allergies.
There is only emergency treatment for anaphylaxis at this time.

thomas998

That comment about being judgmental wasn't for you. It was for the poster I quoted. Sorry you mistook that.

I see the good and bad to trying to get a 'certification' program across the US and even within a state. There is good and bad when it comes to how it would have to be handled. It would also cost a lot of money I think. I'd worry about those who couldn't afford a trained animal if they had to jump through hoops. A tough call. It sure would make some things easier, but could make it harder for others.

That is true! I like the idea of harsh penalties for those faking it with a dog!
How much does a real service dog cost? They aren't cheap. The added cost of actually having government mandated certification would be a drop in the bucket. What if it cost $50 to have a dog certified? That's still a drop in the bucket compared the cost to even feed and care for a dog during the years you own it. If someone can't afford to pay a small fee to get a certification then they really have no business with a dog or any other pet, because animals cost money if you care for them properly.

thomas998

There is no cure for allergies.
There is only emergency treatment for anaphylaxis at this time.
There are treatments for allergies. There have been treatments for them for decades. My friend when I was growing up was allergic to several things and he had to go to a doctor on a weekly basis for a while until they eliminated the allergy. Even these horrible peanut allergies that people seem to be terrified of are treatable by introducing small amount of the peanuts into the diet of the person who will slowly build up a tolerance to peanut. It has been proven to work, you might not get someone to the point that they could power down a jar of peanut butter but you can get them to the point that simply eating a few by mistake will not cause any issues.

thomas998

The blame for all of this falls directly on all of these dishonest(most likely a bit on the crazy side) people who keep bringing their "babies" with them places.
[/QUOTE]

I think you are on to something. I have talked with folks who I honestly think that the pug they self trained is legit. They argue like the believe it themselves.

I think it is self brainwashing of some sort to validate their fraud on society.
[/QUOTE]
Of course it is. Most people don't want to stand up and say, "I'm a liar gaming the system for selfish reason." Instead they convince themselves that they really did train Fido to be a service dog, and to be honest they probably trained Fido just as much as most of the dogs you see on a plane or riding around the grocery store in a shopping cart were trained - which probably wasn't much at all.

The only way to ferret out the con-artists is for a government regulated certification process that insures only real properly trained animals are given the special treatment and the rest are forced to travel in the cargo hold of planes and stay at the kennel when the owners go to theme parks.

thomas998

Did you read the link? I'm 5' and the size of my 11yo. A dog could easily break my fall since many weigh more than me. Or they could get help. Or be trained to alert someone. This judgmental attitude towards legitimately trained service dogs baffles me. We're talking a dog that has had tens of thousands of dollars invested in it. Not just your pet Fido.

What do seizure dogs do?
Seizure Dog

• Some dogs have been trained to bark or otherwise alert families when a child has a seizure while playing outside or in another room.
  • Some dogs learn to lie next to someone having a seizure to prevent injury.
  • Some dogs learn to put their body between the seizing individual and the floor to break the fall at the start of a seizure.
  • Some dogs are trained to activate some kind of pre-programmed device, such as a pedal that rings an alarm
Just an FYI... nothing cruel there.
I don't care if you the size of an 11 year old. The average 11 year old is still too large to go falling on top of a dog. Dogs aren't designed to be beanbag chairs. If you think flopping down on top of a dog is okay then there is no point in any discussion with you because clearly your idea of how to treat an animal is completely alien to that of most people.

MickeyLuv'r

I would like to know what pray tell did someone do about seizures before these so called service animals?

They often lived short lives, because they died.

They also suffered intense stigmatization.

I have witnessed seizures multiple times in my life, including one that was nearly fatal. It isn't something I'd wish on anyone, nor is it something I could ever forget. Suddenly someone you care about starts shaking, their eyes roll around, their jaw trembles, and they unresponsive.

I witnessed a young child having his first seizure. Luckily, he wasn't far from a hospital, otherwise the day might have ended very differently. I will never forget how terrible that day was. Never.

If I could have prevented it, I would have.

A relative of mine died in his youth because of epilepsy. I wish I could have met him. Instead, he died years before I was born. Before he died, he was treated badly by those who were ignorant. In those days, even someone of FDR's stature had to hide their disability because of all the stigma. My uncle's sisters rarely talked about all the ways they saw their brother mistreated, because it was just too painful.

They talked often about how much they missed their wonderful brother.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

There are treatments for allergies. There have been treatments for them for decades. My friend when I was growing up was allergic to several things and he had to go to a doctor on a weekly basis for a while until they eliminated the allergy. Even these horrible peanut allergies that people seem to be terrified of are treatable by introducing small amount of the peanuts into the diet of the person who will slowly build up a tolerance to peanut. It has been proven to work, you might not get someone to the point that they could power down a jar of peanut butter but you can get them to the point that simply eating a few by mistake will not cause any issues.

Oh my goodness. There are many different allergy triggers, and differing levels of reaction. Allergies can change over time. SOME people DO outgrow allergies and asthma; others don't. Some people even develop allergies later in life. We are all at risk, and that is a scary thought.

One anecdote about one person outgrowing an allergy or asthma doesn't = EVERYONE being able to outgrow every allergy.

From the Mayo Clinic, November 2018:
"There's no definitive treatment for peanut allergy, but researchers are studying oral immunotherapy (desensitization). This potential treatment involves giving children with peanut allergies, or those at risk for peanut allergies, increasing doses of food containing peanuts over time. However, the long-term safety of oral immunotherapy for peanut allergy is still uncertain, and this treatment is not yet FDA approved."

This treatment is very promising, but it isn't a cure. It is called Oral Immunotherapy. It increases a patient's threshold. With any allergy, a certain amount of the allergen has to be present to trigger a reaction. That is called the threshold amount. The goal of this therapy is to increase the threshold amount, also called desensitization.

While promising, it doesn't work for everyone. It is also too soon to know how long the effects of this therapy last.

It is a common myth that only children are allergic to peanuts. This is false. One limitation of this therapy is that it doesn't appear to work for adults. It is too soon to know the long term benefits of this approach.

correcaminos

I don't care if you the size of an 11 year old. The average 11 year old is still too large to go falling on top of a dog. Dogs aren't designed to be beanbag chairs. If you think flopping down on top of a dog is okay then there is no point in any discussion with you because clearly your idea of how to treat an animal is completely alien to that of most people.
You don't get the right to tell someone that what their dog is doing isn't right. Pretty much end of story for me. These are trained animals and after about $20-40K put into them (not including what is spent after acquiring said dog) I sincerely doubt they are going to do anything to harm a dog. That dog is highly valuable to them, not just being squished.

How much does a real service dog cost? They aren't cheap. The added cost of actually having government mandated certification would be a drop in the bucket. What if it cost $50 to have a dog certified? That's still a drop in the bucket compared the cost to even feed and care for a dog during the years you own it. If someone can't afford to pay a small fee to get a certification then they really have no business with a dog or any other pet, because animals cost money if you care for them properly.
See above. However many schools get private and outside funding to provide dogs at low to no cost.

These are SERVICE DOGS. Not some stupid pet that a certification is bought for. Please educate yourself on a real service dog and what goes into having one. I've worked with service dog groups as well as have loved ones who use them. They really are amazing animals.

Creating a group to federally mandate is not $50 per dog either. I guarantee you with paperwork and such we are looking at a massive cost and undertaking.

Last edited:

thomas998

I don't think that anyone uses their dog as a pillow to fall on during a seizure. From what I have seen, a seizure dog can tell when a seizure is about to hit and they signal the person so that they can get in a safe position. They also stand guard or lean into the person having the seizure. I can't imagine anyone wanting to fall on and hurt their dog.
Well sadly, according the epilepsy site the things a dog is supposed to do is:
  • Some dogs have been trained to bark or otherwise alert families when a child has a seizure while playing outside or in another room.
  • Some dogs learn to put their body between the seizing individual and the floor to break the fall at the start of a seizure.
  • Some dogs are trained to activate some kind of pre-programmed device, such as a pedal that rings an alarm.
note the third item is being the beanbag that gets smashed to break the fall of the owner.... The other three really aren't necessary in a theme park because there are literally thousands of people that will see someone having a seizure and get them help. So frankly I see no real purpose in a seizure do in a theme park.... maybe if the parks had their attendance drop by 90% you might need a dog to act like Lassie and bark for help but you couldn't find a place in the park today to have a seizure out of the eye of someone if you tried.

In fact look at the other 3 items on this list and see whether the "seizure dog" makes any sense in a theme park... 1) trained to alert families when a child has a seizure... Sorry but not relevant if you take a child to a theme park the parent is supposed to be watching after them so the dog is not necessary for that one... 2) lie next the person to prevent injury... nope, this isn't like hiking through a national park in the cold where an animal laying next to you is going to do any good its Florida where you chances of freezing to death are pretty darned low... 3) we already went over the act of using Fido for bean bag... and 4) dogs trained to activate a pre-programed device such as a pedal... well I suppose if the dog wants to hop on plane back to the home of the victim where the pedal is located it might work but by then the victim would already be past the seizure or dead.... In short there are no valid reasons for a seizure dog in a theme park.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Well sadly, according the epilepsy site the things a dog is supposed to do is:
  • Some dogs are trained to activate some kind of pre-programmed device, such as a pedal that rings an alarm.
note the third item is being the beanbag that gets smashed to break the fall of the owner.... The other three really aren't necessary in a theme park because there are literally thousands of people that will see someone having a seizure and get them help. So frankly I see no real purpose in a seizure do in a theme park.... maybe if the parks had their attendance drop by 90% you might need a dog to act like Lassie and bark for help but you couldn't find a place in the park today to have a seizure out of the eye of someone if you tried.
I don't think anyone should use their dog as a beanbag. But as far as the rest. If a person is about to have a seizure and the dog notifies them, they can most likely get to the ground before they start seizing. That way they don't dead fall and hit their head. I imagine that alone saves many lives. There is no point in having a human come to your aid AFTER you kill yourself cracking your head open. So if a dog can save someone in that manner, then they are worth it. IMO

MickeyLuv'r

Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy
A seizure can cause a person to have pauses in breathing: apnea. When apnea lasts too long= death
A person's airway can get covered or restricted= no breathing = death
A seizure can cause dangerous hearth rhythm or heart failure. Heart failure can = death

At a bare minimum, a seizure alert dog can alert a caregiver when a seizure is occurring, and medical intervention is required.

Is it really that hard to comprehend how a trained dog could help someone in distress so they don't suffocate?

correcaminos

I don't think that anyone uses their dog as a pillow to fall on during a seizure. From what I have seen, a seizure dog can tell when a seizure is about to hit and they signal the person so that they can get in a safe position. They also stand guard or lean into the person having the seizure. I can't imagine anyone wanting to fall on and hurt their dog.

They also can be used to keep the owner from harming themselves during a seizure or make sure the head doesn't hit solid ground. There is a lot a dog can do without being squished like it's being implied. They can help break a fall without being a pillow - hence training.

FettFan

A seizure can cause a person to have pauses in breathing: apnea. When apnea lasts too long= death
A seizure can cause dangerous hearth rhythm or heart failure. Heart failure can = death

At a bare minimum, a seizure alert dog can alert a caregiver when a seizure is occurring, and medical intervention is required.

Is it really that hard to comprehend how a trained dog could help someone in distress so they don't suffocate?

Well-trained dogs are actually quite remarkable. They can even be trained to sniff out cancers. (as if prostate exams weren't intrusive enough.... ba-dum-ching)

But the key words there are "well-trained". I am certain that many of the joking and dismissive posts in here aren't targeting actual service dogs, but the "emotional support" animals, which have zero training and zero status when it comes to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

I live on a farm. I love my farm. I raise goats. I like the goats, and marginally tolerate them during the mating season. But I'm not going to take any of my goats onto an airplane.
Screaming-goats-443787.jpg

They are farm animals. They do not belong on an airplane.

thomas998

Find me a dog that can perform mouth to mouth or use a defibrillator on an epileptic... You can't. All those things you mentioned require the intervention of a person. A dog barking when someone is laying on the ground in a theme park isn't going to get the attention of anyone fast than they would get simply from the fact that some HUMAN would see the person collapse. In fact the human will likely be much better at getting help as the dog barking will initially only distract people from the person that has fallen.

Incomudro

They often lived short lives, because they died.

They also suffered intense stigmatization.

I have witnessed seizures multiple times in my life, including one that was nearly fatal. It isn't something I'd wish on anyone, nor is it something I could ever forget. Suddenly someone you care about starts shaking, their eyes roll around, their jaw trembles, and they unresponsive.

I witnessed a young child having his first seizure. Luckily, he wasn't far from a hospital, otherwise the day might have ended very differently. I will never forget how terrible that day was. Never.

If I could have prevented it, I would have.

A relative of mine died in his youth because of epilepsy. I wish I could have met him. Instead, he died years before I was born. Before he died, he was treated badly by those who were ignorant. In those days, even someone of FDR's stature had to hide their disability because of all the stigma. My uncle's sisters rarely talked about all the ways they saw their brother mistreated, because it was just too painful.

They talked often about how much they missed their wonderful brother.

And what's the effective level of the dog?
We know how effective medications are.
We know how effective seeing eye dogs are.
What's the effective level of dogs safely breaking falls vs causing more injury to the fallen?
What's the effective level of dogs' sensing seizure and actually getting the person to sit on time?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom