Is this really a service dog?

will5mom

My 14 yr old son is Type 1. We are looking into options for a service dog before he goes away to college. We feel your pain, my son's cgm has gone off during school and he told his whole class that he was a robot. People with T1d have a lot to deal with. Someone to help detect highs and lows before they become a life or death event would be great!

jloucks

My money is on the owners of this dog self trained, and bought a vest on Amazon.

This also supports my assertion that only certain breeds of dogs should be valid service (or even support) animals, and that self training without certification should be outlawed.

The silver lining here is now we are talking big money lawsuits, which will get the attention of lawmakers. We may finally see some adjustment to the overly restrictive ADAA laws.

IMHO

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Delta Airlines has just tightened its service animal restrictions.
A dose of sanity that will hopefully extend further outward.
Now get your dog out of Home Depot.

Agreed. But I do have to share this story lol

The last time I was in Home Depot there was a monster of a dog (great Dane, I think) in one of the aisles and he was the sweetest giant I've ever met. Owners were awesome too. Don't necessarily love dogs like others but some of them have this ability to melt my heart and turn me into a kid.

erasure fan1

Delta Airlines has just tightened its service animal restrictions.
A dose of sanity that will hopefully extend further outward.
Now get your dog out of Home Depot.
Doubtful. Once someone pushes back and calls them out for being intolerant of people with disabilities, that tightened policy goes right into the toilet. No big company wants the bad press that will come from pushing back on something like this unless the law is on their side. Even then I can see businesses just take the easy way out because it would just be easier. But here's to hoping.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Doubtful. Once someone pushes back and calls them out for being intolerant of people with disabilities, that tightened policy goes right into the toilet. No big company wants the bad press that will come from pushing back on something like this unless the law is on their side. Even then I can see businesses just take the easy way out because it would just be easier. But here's to hoping.
Except that public tolerance for people dragging their pets along under the guise of an emotional support animal is just about gone... any more incidents of a ESA biting a five-year-old's face will pretty much kill it all together.

zombiebbq

If you would like for me to explain...

Hello to those that think that My Mother's service animal may be a fake, SHE is not a fake, we have Doctors letters to training records. Even though I don't have to explain myself, I'm still going to so... We carry Vet records and my mother's Doctor letter with us every where we go. Nana Darling has been going to Disney World with us for over a year and half now. Yes I personally trained her with a help of a professional dog trainer from the age of 3 months old, which she will be 4 years old next week. I have followed every ADA law. She alerts to PTSD and COPD attacks and task of DPT aka Deep pressure therapy. She has saved my mother's life more then you would think she could and faster then I could so myself. Nana does hold her potty thank you very much, and for the sand video, she went potty in the grass before hand and even left alone the rabbit next to her the whole time. I also clean up after Nana after every time she goes potty unlike some other SD handlers do at the parks. They even have doggy potty bags at guest relations if you forgot yours.

Yes there are A LOT of fakes at the park. we go to the parks about 1 to 3 times a week. Just the other day at EPCOT there was an ESA vested as a ESA barking at Nana over and over again, making it unavoidable no matter how far we got into the park, I had to tell a CM to get security.

Nana Darling has been poke, petted, kicked, finger snapped at, barked at, and even almost attacked by another Dog at WDW. Yes I don't like how Disney has opened its doors to resort guest to allow dogs to stay at the hotels. Even though by Disney Rules, they have to be crated in side the room, they can still bark unsupervised. Good luck to the people trying to take a nap because I know that would tick me off with uncontrolled barking.

Most SD handlers can tell by body language and commends if its a real service dog, but because of a less then 2 min video of my dog seeing sand for the very first time in her life, you had to really make a post about it? I personally invite you to spend a day with us if you would like to get to know us.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
OP- did you see/acknowledge this post ever? here's your answer. also would like to know how many dogs you saw on your trip and did you confront every owner you saw 🙄

thomas998

It's really ridiculous. What about all the people who are allergic to dog hair? No smoking on planes or airports but you are allowed to walk around the airport and restaurants with your "support" dog.
What is even more disgusting is when you are a grocery store and some idiot has their "emotional support" dog (pet dog is more appropriate) riding in the grocery cart as if they are pushing around a kid. People put their food in the carts they don't need to have to worry about whatever filth some idiot's dog has left behind.

The only reasonable way to deal with this nonsense is going to be to go backwards and only allow seeing eye dogs, they are easy to identify and I really doubt anyone is going to go to the trouble of gouging their eyes out so they can take Fido with them on a plane.

NelleBelle

It's becoming more and more apparent that service dogs need some type of licensure (whether owner-trained who then take their dogs to be formally tested or obtaining service dog from an organization/trainer). I think when the ADA was passed, no one could foresee how much people would take advantage of and abuse this protection for those who truly need and benefit from a SERVICE dog (I realize that emotional support dogs, when there is a valid need, are extremely helpful to certain conditions, but regulations need to be developed around these dogs as well if they are going to be out in public). And there certainly should be limits placed on breeds allowed to be service dogs (although, if the pit bull attack at the Portland airport was an emotional support dog, then one could argue it would fall into the service dog category).

When I've got my dog out in public working on her training, she is "working" and I don't allow anyone to pet her, and if a child comes up to pet her, I ask them not to pet her because she's working and explain it to the parent (who drive me crazy!! Who just allows their kid to go up to some unknown dog and start petting it without asking first? Not smart).

thomas998

It's becoming more and more apparent that service dogs need some type of licensure (whether owner-trained who then take their dogs to be formally tested or obtaining service dog from an organization/trainer). I think when the ADA was passed, no one could foresee how much people would take advantage of and abuse this protection for those who truly need and benefit from a SERVICE dog (I realize that emotional support dogs, when there is a valid need, are extremely helpful to certain conditions, but regulations need to be developed around these dogs as well if they are going to be out in public). And there certainly should be limits placed on breeds allowed to be service dogs (although, if the pit bull attack at the Portland airport was an emotional support dog, then one could argue it would fall into the service dog category).

When I've got my dog out in public working on her training, she is "working" and I don't allow anyone to pet her, and if a child comes up to pet her, I ask them not to pet her because she's working and explain it to the parent (who drive me crazy!! Who just allows their kid to go up to some unknown dog and start petting it without asking first? Not smart).
I have to disagree with the notion that there is ever a need for an "emotional support dog." How is it that people managed to live generation after generation without an "emotional support dog" and then suddenly they show up as if they are some basic need of people. If people truly feel they can't walk out of their own house without Fido then those people are mentally ill and need to see a psychiatrist that can put them on some drugs or offer them some sort of treatment, but if an "emotional support dog" is anything it is nothing more than an enabling device for their mental illness. But honestly I think 99% of these people are no more sick than anyone else, they are just con-artists gaming the systems so they can bring along a dog on a plane without paying, or go on trips without having to pay for a kennel for the dog while they are away.

Shouldigo12

I agree that it would be nice if there was some way we could have owners prove their dog was a real service dog without hurting those with disabilities, but i believe the reason we can't currently ask for proof is because of how limiting it could potentially be. Imagibe if the certificate, license, vest, or other form of proof somehow got lost or destroyed. If the dog was was medically needed, this may mean the owner couldn't go out in public until the teplacement came in. So, I understand why right now no proof is required.

Also, if i remember correctly, emotional support animals are not protected by the ADA. Meaning businesses actually can refuse them entry.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
You are correct the emotional support animals are not protected by the ADA. I think what should happen is a federal permit system that identifies the animal and the legal owner/handler. It would have to set training rules and certifications to the trainers as well as the animals. It would be easy enough to verify an animal with a simple scan of a bar code on the animals ID. This would help eliminate the abuse going on and making it difficult for the real service animal users

jloucks

Kids are, well, idiots some times. You turn your head for a second, and they are licking the congealed fake butter off the movie theater counter.

My point being, common sense behaviors need to be enforced around kids. Behaviors such as...

• Don't leave your loaded guns by the nintendo
  • No speeding in residential areas
  • No bitey dogs at public places
  • Have the 9 year old leave his pocket knife at home for the birthday party
  • 8 year olds should not be given a bag of fireworks
  • No mini motorcycles. Ever.
  • etc etc
I agree with you on breed limits. Strongly. It is a fact, some dogs are far better suited to service than others. Skittish or aggressive breeds of any kind are ill suited to service.

I think owners training their own pets needs some additional scrutiny as well. I find the practice sketchy as heck, but if the trainer is professionally trained, it would be legit. Being professional trained is not an 8 hour online course either. My daughter has spent many Saturdays being professional trained by professional trainers. Many Saturdays.

This spring is kind of melancholy for us as she graduates high school and has to turn her service dog in training over to another trainer. Our house has had a service dog in training in residence for the last almost 4 years. :(

She is on the left with Dewey....
Service Dogs

jaklgreen

What's the point? Except for housing ESAs can be denied
People are using the excuse that their pet is an "emotional support" animal in apartments so that the pet fee is waved, which can be hundreds of dollars. This guy that used to work at the place that I do came right out and said that he was doing that. No shame. He said he got some "certificate" online that his new puppy was an support animal and gave it to the apartment complex. Why they would accept that is beyond me. This is the new saving money scam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom