Is there such a thing as too prepared?

tinkfan05

I'm planning my upcoming Oct. trip for my friend and I, and sometimes I feel like I'm preparing too much. I've picked the exact building I want at POR (hopefully I get it), I've picked all the places we're going to eat while there, I've checked to see where the monorail runs, I've even called ahead to let the resort know that we're coming to celebrate my friends birthday. I seem to come up with something new to plan almost every day, and feel like I'm always on the phone with Disney. I just want to make this trip really special and don't want to miss anything. Some of my friends say that I'm planning to much and that I just need to relax and play it by ear when we get there. But to me, planning the trip is almost as fun as going! Anyone else ever feel this way when planning thier trip to WDW?

tooltime

i over planned our oct trip last year and had fun doing it. but once we got there it was time to just fit into the flow of things.

one thing i did was pack way too many things we did not need.

planning was a lot of fun though but plans need to be really loosened once on the trip

Upvote 0

Ella's Mommy

Personally I dont think you could ever be to prepared. I book all the dinners the day I hit 180 days, I make a schudule of parks and lunch locations for each day etc.... So if that makes you happy prepare away. I love it too. :wave:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

It's important to plan, but plan to be flexible too. Don't set yourself up for disappointment when not everything goes as "planned".

Upvote 0

tjkref418

I enjoy preparing for our trips alot too, but like others have stated, once you are there, you have to take the unexpectred in stride and make it a memorable part of your vacation.

Have a great time in October!:wave:

Upvote 0

tonya

You can obsessively plan, but that's part of the fun of it for me---building up to the big trip. I even go so far as to print out all of the menus (ok, so my husband did that part) and pick out what I'm going to eat when we get there. :slurp:

Upvote 0

JDM

Have a plan, enjoy making the plan and then be prepared to throw the plan out the window when you get there if need be.

It's all good!

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

Have to agree w/Nemo14 on this; don't overplan to the point of disappointment. For example, if you don't receive your request for a particular building at POR, don't let it ruin your trip. (read a few resort reviews on Allearsnet.com and you'll be surprised how many folks' vacations are "ruined" b/c their resort requests weren't granted) Or if your plans change and you can't make dinner one evening, don't be too upset. I'm a big planner, too, but I still leave room to be flexible and try not to be too upset if my plans don't go perfectly. I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I've even called ahead to let the resort know that we're coming to celebrate my friends birthday.

As others have said, you need to be sure you are not setting yourself up for disappointment.

Just because you call ahead to let the resort know about a birthday doesn't mean that something will happen for that birthday.

Sometimes you need to make your own magic.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Have a plan, enjoy making the plan and then be prepared to throw the plan out the window when you get there if need be.

It's all good!

That's a great quote! I love planning too and I can get a little crazy with the details sometimes. I like it and it keeps me entertained while waiting for the day when I can finally get on that plane... then when I get down there I go with the flow and if something doesn't work out exactly as planned, it's OK!
You need a plan but you need to be flexible too. So if you like planning, knock yourself out and enjoy it until the DAY arrives! (I can't wait for March 1st, then I can plan my trip for Sept., so excited!)

Upvote 0

SallyShine

Exactly! Planning is fun and makes the time pass quicker. I always "super plan" my trips, but I don't worry about changes once I get there. My feeling is, I'm at WDW! Who cares about anything else!

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

No, you can't be too prepared.

Planning is a very enjoyable part of the trip. That's why Birnbaum's book is 250 pages and the Unofficial Guide is more than 800 pages. People like to plan when going to WDW! Heck, that's one of the reasons this site exists!

We actually set aside an afternoon to plan our trip, complete with food and beverages and no interruptions. (This is AFTER we've compiled park hours, EMH park, etc.) We plan which park we'll go to each day and what we plan to ride there. We plan where to eat. We actually plan the order we plan to ride the rides. This part generally doesn't hold up after the first four or five attractions each day. And after about the third day of the trip, we sit down in the hotel at night and revise our remaining time based on what we've already seen that we planned to see later, and what we were unable to see when we had originally planned to.

Planning is a very enjoyable part of the trip.

All that said, BE FLEXIBLE. DO be prepared to toss the plan for the day if you've burned the candle at both ends (park opening and closing) for three days in a row and you just need to sleep in. DO be prepared to stop and catch a live performance of something when you had planned to see The Hall of Presidents or some such. DO be prepared that you might not do everything you'd planned. That you might want to ride Soarin' again. Or It's A Small World :)

But yes, enjoy the planning. But recognize it for what it is. It is different when you actually glide under the arches on the entrance road. Now THAT is enjoyable!

Have fund

Upvote 0

teacup317

My DH and I are having a blast planning for our trip in May. I found an interesting website too that has lots of helpful items on it
www.themouseforless.com they even had downloads for you to print envelopes for putting your mousekeeping tips in.

We too would like a particular building (Parterre Place) at POR I just hope we get it, or at least get into one of the "mansions", we stayed at Magnolia Bend before and loved it.

We'll be celebrating my DH's 60th so I know what you mean by wanting to make everything special.

Have a wonderful trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

maryt01

in dec 2007 we stayed at por. we requested a particular bldg. we did not get what we wanted. my sis is legally blind and has limited walking ability. we were put in a bldg 3 to 4 city blocks back from the bus stop. everyday we had to drive to the parking lot by the resort. we then had to take a bus to the park. at night we had to get off the bus and drive to our room. no consideration for a handicapped person. we are now hesitant to book another trip. what has happened to compasion? we still love wdw:xmas:

Upvote 0

coltow

Let's see, for our August trip we have already planned hotel, dinners (180 days is fast approaching), park for morning/evenings (we plan to take breaks in the afternoon) and are currently looking into flights.

For December we are booked at Poly (3rd floor request) and have a few restaurants we want to go to (different from August) and this is DS 5th b-day so we did make sure to tell them when we booked. I've also looked into Disney Florist to see about what I can have deleivered to him on his birthday.

We plan as much as possible but we don't plan out attractions at least that leaves room for some flexibility. We do know the things that are most important to our family and try to do them first.

Upvote 0

dsnyfreak

I did that so that I know what we are eating as to same time deciding later and also knowing how much it will cost.

2 days!!!!!!:sohappy::D:sohappy:
You can obsessively plan, but that's part of the fun of it for me---building up to the big trip. I even go so far as to print out all of the menus (ok, so my husband did that part) and pick out what I'm going to eat when we get there. :slurp:

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Plannign for any trip is fun, but even more so when going to Disney. From choosing clothes to wear to making a dinner reservations.

I don't go too much overboard, though. But essentially, you need to plan what days to be in which park so you know where to eat/what time. My husband thinks I am crazy but when we eat a great meal that is right near or where we are, he doesn't complain anymore. As some mentioned above, be prepared for the unexpected and go with the flow.:wave:

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

As long as you're enjoying the planning, and you understand EXPLICITLY that any plan, no matter how meticulous, can go kablooey at the drop of a hat, then enjoy yourself. Just don't go all type-A on yourself and whip yourself into a hyperventilating tizzy.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom