Is There ANYTHING you Just Don't Like About Disney?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Which part, the crowds or the witchcraft? My wife and I go around the second week of December to enjoy the decorations with none of the crowds and it works perfectly. The latter, Bedknobs and Broomsticks comes to mind.

Second week of December is perhaps one of the best times to visit all year....

And along that second vein, Sorcerer Mickey also comes to mind. Fantasmic, Philharmagic, etc.....

WED Purist

He said "The restaurant situation at WDW has become a bit unpleasant for me, and this is in addition to the fact that I’m not a huge fan of overpriced mediocrity to begin with.". I read it a couple of times, and think you could take it either way. I still stand by what I said.

rsoxguy

So don't go anymore.

He said "The restaurant situation at WDW has become a bit unpleasant for me, and this is in addition to the fact that I’m not a huge fan of overpriced mediocrity to begin with.". I read it a couple of times, and think you could take it either way. I still stand by what I said.

I am often astounded at the lack of social grace exhibited by some of the folks on this forum. Let's take a look at this little conversation, shall we? A thread is started in relation to things that we see as needing improvement at WDW. I say that the restaurants need improvement. You then answer in all of your literary wit, "so don't go anymore". Have I, of all people who complain on this Forum, crossed some type of line within your system of sensibilities? I am of the opinion that the restaurants can use improvement. I have, in fact, taken my own food on some occasions. Check my post history, and try to tell me that I'm a consistent complainer on this Forum. I am not. But then again, stating an opinion in your presence seems to be a transgression in and of itself.

Why you have chosen to pick me as the target of your terse, glib remark I do not know. Why not tell everyone else on the complaint threads to "not go anymore"? I know, I'll speak to you with the type of terminology that suits your personality. If you do not like my posts, "don't read them anymore".

celluloid

I am often astounded at the lack of social grace exhibited by some of the folks on this forum. Let's take a look at this little conversation, shall we? A thread is started in relation to things that we see as needing improvement at WDW. I say that the restaurants need improvement. You then answer in all of your literary wit, "so don't go anymore". Have I, of all people who complain on this Forum, crossed some type of line within your system of sensibilities? I am of the opinion that the restaurants can use improvement. I have, in fact, taken my own food on some occasions. Check my post history, and try to tell me that I'm a consistent complainer on this Forum. I am not. But then again, stating an opinion in your presence seems to be a transgression in and of itself.

Why you have chosen to pick me as the target of your terse, glib remark I do not know. Why not tell everyone else on the complaint threads to "not go anymore"? I know, I'll speak to you with the type of terminology that suits your personality. If you do not like my posts, "don't read them anymore".

Wow. I know it is not what you were going for but I really applaud this. Pretty much sums up my feelings. When people criticize they are not doing it because they simply hate something. They are usually doing so because they want to share their experience and it is(in terms of on a message board) prompted as input.

The thing worse than going to a thread and reading something negative that could honestly be better or improved on at a resort of someone sharing information, is going to a website where everyone is either saying it is 100 percent awesome all the time with zero reality flaws.

WED Purist

I read and re-read your intial post, and it hit me as "I don't like the restaurant situation, and since the parks are overpriced mediocrity, this just adds to it". It's not that I meant to single you out, or that one post was so terrible, it was more of a straw that broke the camel's back. And I honestly feel that if some of the people in here feel the way it seem they do about the Disney parks, then they honestly shouldn't go anymore. If you're not one of those, then I am sorry.
Let's say I work for a division in a company that is responsible for dreaming, designing and building something wonderful. Every now and then, I pop into places to see what people think, especially when we're rolling out some new products. When I get there, I mostly see one of four things: there are people who love it with all their heart, people who love/like it and have some well intended criticism, people who nit-pick the crap out of it because it doesn't meet some preconceived utopian ideal they have in their head from a trip 14 years ago, and people who hate it just because they hate. Now throw in a dash of people slamming this wonderful thing you try to make, becuase the other people in the company that you give it to in hopes of generations of use, don't bother keeping it up. Do you know how frustrating that would be, to pour years of your life into something unique and amazing, with all these tiny details, only to watch it die slowly out of neglect?
Of course, this is all hypothetical, but if you read an hour of how your little widget is just over-priced mediocrity (even if that wasn't the true meaning of the statement), could you see how it might hit a nerve? Not that it excuse me, it's just my reasoning for it.
By the way, the trick about dining reservations (my wife always makes them) is that you can book 180 days, or whatever they do now, from the beginning of your stay. You can usually get most places you want toward the end of your vacation, since you're actually booking out 184 days or so. But that all falls to another part of the company, so I have no control over that.

JeffnPa

Give the people a forum to bit## and they will, there is no PERFECT place or vacation. Staying at home we have complaints, if we stayed at the best hotel we would still have something to say, it's human nature. To go to WDW things are now different then they were, people are rude in general, the work ethic of the younger generation is lacking and prices will always increase. You you wish to complain go ahead but know that it will fall on deaf ears!!!

The Empress Lilly

Meh, this thread is just a friendly way for us to share some of our pet peeves. You know, get it out of our system, have a laugh, be comforted by the knowledge that others share our little annoyances too.
It is not a thread for drama. :shrug:

180-ish days is way too long for us.

I'm still discussing whether to hop over to WDW for a quickie for EPCOT's 30th on Oct. 1st. 180 days before that was two weeks ago. Yet it will be well into this summer before we decide to go or not.

So one thing is certain: I shan't be dining at my favourite restaurants at EPCOT. Which then, in turn, does weigh into to decision to go or not in the first place.

Jimmy Thick: Not a huge fan of overpriced mediocrity to begin with.

rsoxguy

I read and re-read your intial post, and it hit me as "I don't like the restaurant situation, and since the parks are overpriced mediocrity, this just adds to it". It's not that I meant to single you out, or that one post was so terrible, it was more of a straw that broke the camel's back. And I honestly feel that if some of the people in here feel the way it seem they do about the Disney parks, then they honestly shouldn't go anymore. If you're not one of those, then I am sorry.
Let's say I work for a division in a company that is responsible for dreaming, designing and building something wonderful. Every now and then, I pop into places to see what people think, especially when we're rolling out some new products. When I get there, I mostly see one of four things: there are people who love it with all their heart, people who love/like it and have some well intended criticism, people who nit-pick the crap out of it because it doesn't meet some preconceived utopian ideal they have in their head from a trip 14 years ago, and people who hate it just because they hate. Now throw in a dash of people slamming this wonderful thing you try to make, becuase the other people in the company that you give it to in hopes of generations of use, don't bother keeping it up. Do you know how frustrating that would be, to pour years of your life into something unique and amazing, with all these tiny details, only to watch it die slowly out of neglect?
Of course, this is all hypothetical, but if you read an hour of how your little widget is just over-priced mediocrity (even if that wasn't the true meaning of the statement), could you see how it might hit a nerve? Not that it excuse me, it's just my reasoning for it.
By the way, the trick about dining reservations (my wife always makes them) is that you can book 180 days, or whatever they do now, from the beginning of your stay. You can usually get most places you want toward the end of your vacation, since you're actually booking out 184 days or so. But that all falls to another part of the company, so I have no control over that.

You were "hit" incorrectly. The topic of the paragraph was Disney dining. The last sentence continued with the theme of the paragraph. I am of the opinion that many of the theme park restaurants serve food that is mediocre in quality. Consequently, I feel that the quality of food served does not support their exorbitant pricing system. If you will accept advice, please accept mine. It is never wise to make rash statements based on assumptions, especially when dealing with strangers over the internet. This conversation between us would have not been necessary if you would have simply asked me to clarify a statement that you did not fully understand. It is regrettable that you chose to rebuke me unjustifiably instead. Nonetheless, you have offered an apology, and I certainly accept it.

chloe4ever

Oh, and the food in some of the restaurants is just terrible. I love the ambience at Oktoberfest, for instance, but the food is so blah. The last time I ate there, most of the meat looked and tasted like cold cuts. The chicken selection looked and tasted like McNuggets. Great beer though...oh, and better coffee would be nice too. I wish Starbucks would take over the Writer's Nook in DHS. That'd make it a great place to stop, rest and recharge your batteries with a tasty mocha before plunging back into the chaotic, wonderful magic that is a Disney park. :)

The food in the park is one of my biggest complaints. It sucks for the most part--especially factoring in how much it costs for the quality you receive. And I'm glad that I don't have kids because then I would have to be tricked into getting a second mortgage for the chance to eat with a "princess" *eye roll*

chloe4ever

I see a lot of posts about people not happy that wheelchair people get to go to the front of the lines. I saw a post about wheelchair people should have to wait in a bathroom line like everyone else and not be able to go use the handicap stall as soon as it becomes available. Saw posts about wheelchair people not having to wait to board a bus. And have seen posts about people not liking that wheelchair people get to go to the front of the line at attractions.

I actually saw a bus driver ask a wheelchair person how long they had been waiting for a bus and then told them they can catch the next one.

The only point I want to make is that there is limited capacity for most wheelchair people. A bus can only handle one or two wheelchairs, if they don't take them as soon as they can, there could be a couple show up for the next one and then they are going to be waiting a very long time.

There is typically only one handicap stall in bathrooms, if a handicap person waits in line like everyone else, they will then also need to wait for thier specific stall to open up. I'm not saying the handicap stall should not be used by non-handicap people, but if there is a handicap person waiting let them use it.

And as far as the attractions go, some of the queues cannot handle wheelchairs, some rides have limiting capacity for handicap people and some need special assistance. If they waited in line like everyone else it would most likely slow the whole process down.

I'm so glad I'm not in a wheelchair and if you are you have my understanding.

I completely agree!!

I will never forget one time when I used the handicap stall (no handicap person was behind me when I went inside) and when I came out, this lady with a severe handicap was pretty much using the wall to slide/prop herself up and basically had to slide/crawl to get to the stall. I felt SO bad for making her wait. Like I wanted to crawl into a hole bad. And then ALL these people were staring at me with the most evil of looks. :lookaroun It was like a scene out of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I felt like the worst person in the world.

Flip83

1) Flash photography
2) People that, while walking in front of you, instantly stop, turn, and run right into you and then look at you like you're an idiot. :brick:
3) The lack of upkeep on certain attractions.
4) Disney transportation. (Except the boats. Those are awesome.)

#2. Sigh.... Sweet old #2. I'm dying here. So true. My family, myself. We have ALWAYS Swerved off to the side, go to a wall or dead area if we need to thinkof our next move or what have you. But ya see, people in this world are incredibly ignorant and don't respect anybody else. You don't just stop in the middle of a hundred people walking. And worse.. When they make the 180 and run into you!

But hey... Unless I missed it.. How about the person who farts up a storm in a long line. That's always fun to know where they ate for dinner

eddiemcgarrigle

Flash photography. Why not get a camera that can take good shots in low light if photos inside rides are so important to you?

Tour groups. Where one yellow t-shirt in front of you in the queue turns into forty yellow t-shirts in a blink of the eye.

Electric Scooters. Can't walk far? Then where is your wheelchair? I have personally seen a women leap from her scooter to charge up the stairs of the Main Street Train Station to get a better view of a parade.

The Mom

Premium Member
Flash photography. Why not get a camera that can take good shots in low light if photos inside rides are so important to you?

Tour groups. Where one yellow t-shirt in front of you in the queue turns into forty yellow t-shirts in a blink of the eye.

[B]Electric Scooters. Can't walk far? Then where is your wheelchair? I have personally seen a women leap from her scooter to charge up the stairs of the Main Street Train Station to get a better view of a parade.

[/B]
There are many, many people who do not need a wheelchair in their daily life, but could not possibly get around WDW without one. My parents,in their last years, fell into that category. They were more or less housebound, and were able to get around their apartment, to from the elevator, and even go around the block using a walker. But anything further required my pushing them in a wheelchair.

WDW does not rent electric wheelchairs. A manual one would require an additional person who has both the willingness and stamina to push you all day (as I did). That leaves the scooters.

As hard as it may be for many of us to believe, we really cannot judge someone's capabilities just by looking at them or even by observing them for a short time. My SIL has MS. Early on, she could run circles around me on her good days, but might suddenly be incapable of walking. Now, she has progressed to the point that her disabilty (but not the nature of it) is obvious to anyone.

Are there people who rent a scooter when they don't really need one? Yes. Can we identify them with certainty? No. Better to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, rather than unfairly brand someone a "cheater."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom