Is the "New Management" at Enchanted Tiki Room so bad?

Juliaz3

Original Poster
Although I've been to the MK twice since the "new management" took over the Tiki Room, I've heard so many bad comments about it that I never wanted to risk my childhood memories of the "enchantment". I have never seen the new show -- why is it considered to be so bad? Did they add something dumb like Stitch?

DisneyLeo18

Although I don't mind it, a lot of people don't like it because of the addition of Iago (from Aladdin) and Zazu (from The Lion King). They are now implemented in the show instead of the original Tiki Birds.

I don't mind it that much, then again I was never a huge fan of the show. Most of the comments you are probably seeing is for people to get rid of the characters and return to its original show or an enhancement of some kind.

DisneyPrincess5

I've seen both the original and the new show and I like them both just the same. They're different both I think the new show is great...give it a try!

draybook

The new show sucks, bad. There's nothing more annoying than hearing Gilbert Gottfried's voice at a WDW attraction. Not to mention that it's got too much of a dance/hip hop theme to me now. It had been about 18 years since I saw the original at DL and the one at WDW last year, and I think it will be another 18 when I see it again, if ever.

rsoxguy

I must admit that I would skip this attraction altogether were it not for my daughter (she defines fanboy [or girl?]). However, the addition of Iago and Zazu is a bit too much. Iago is particularly grating. Also, the show ends awkwardly with a song by The Miami Sound Machine. Most people seem confused as to what is happening until the exit doors actually open. Again, I was never a fan of the original show, but I find the new one to be annoying at a greater level.

CaptainMichael

I think it's just naturally time for a new show. Things Tiki Room are easy to tinker with every few years. It's a small attraction that doesn't have a large following like Pirates or Mansion. Management should plus it every chance they get to have something else pimp out to marketing as "new."

Atomicmickey

I don't mind Zazu, but Iago is obnoxious, can't stand that voice.

At the beginning of the show, they start singing the classic "In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room" and it is quickly cut off by Iago. I really don't like that.

Also, yes, too much contemporary music. Not very "Tiki" in flavor.

It isn't awful, but I wish the update would have preserved more of the flavor of the original. Not the exact same show, but in the same vein, of visiting an exotic place.

Mother

The new show isn't terrible or anything, but it's certainly different from the original.

The BEST change is the pre-show with the two "agent" birds - one of them being Attorney Lionel Hutz in disguise.

Animaniac93-98

The show suffers from Disney failing at begin something their not: cool. The contemporary music dates the attraction more than the original version, is less original and they don't even finish the theme song! Plus as already mentioned, Iago is annoying, very annoying. The new sign out front is also quite ugly looking.

I think if they finished the show with the old theme song (since they start it in the beginning) and "Aloha to You" it would be bearable, but the more you like the original show I think the less you'll like this version.

SirGoofy

Although I've been to the MK twice since the "new management" took over the Tiki Room, I've heard so many bad comments about it that I never wanted to risk my childhood memories of the "enchantment". I have never seen the new show -- why is it considered to be so bad? Did they add something dumb like Stitch?

If you have a deep love for the original, the new show is like someone stabbing you in the heart repeatedly with Walt Disney's shin bone.

MrX8991

I really would have liked to have been in the room when the discussion for the new version took place.

"Hey, you know what this attraction really needs? Gilbert Gottfried."

Seriously, though, the attraction is among the least tolerable ever. As stated previously in this thread, the problem was that the show was trying to be cool. It tries to add a modern twist to a classic attraction but comes across as an absolute abomination.

Figment632

Not as bad as this though!

wu_021508_TDL_Stitch_Construction.jpg

xtina72

I saw it one on my first visit to Disney (under old management) then I saw it once again under new management. Didnt really find it funny the first or the second time....I usually skip it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom