Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When the park first opened, was there faster ways to get to the east and west side of FW through the Communicore buildings than there was in later years? I'm too young to remember exactly what it all looked like.
There was no other way around the buildings but passage through the buildings was better planned and laid out. And visible.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Communicore / Innoventions was always going to have the Tomorrowland problem. Always. There are creative ways to get around that when you're working with temporary exhibits and sponsors, but it isn't easy.

It’s a problem. But why not repurpose the buildings. They’d still get the venues they seem to want and have more money to spend elsewhere. Like on Imagination.

There was a gorgeous plan to reuse both buildings and make better use of them as opposed to replacing what they have for something else that does the same thing.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
This exactly, but I do share the concern that modern Imagineers are more or less hired guns that shift seemlessly back and forth between WDI and Universal Creative. Besides, Rohde, are there any other well-known name Imagineers left?

Not sure if this agrees with your point or not, but Scott Trowbridge who started at Universal Creative then moved to WDI

FigmentJedi

Have you seen the new World of Disney (Banana Republic)?
It looks that way because the new backstory has declared it to be a gentrified old animation studio/factory or something. And because it's modern gentrification, we can't have any connection to the past beyond a single artifact sitting in a corner or something.

Surferboy567

------------------------------------------------------Probably the longest post I have written--------------------------------------------------

It's been a little bit since I looked at this thread and wow so many responses I read but I've had time to sleep on this, and without any of the forum posters here clouding my judgement (which is why I didn't look at the responses) here are my final thoughts. I was going to not write an essay on my thoughts (as I said before but I feel as if it's warranted).

I also really need to get some thoughts off my chest regarding (let's say very passionate fans) hell I call myself one of these people. I basically live, sleep Disney. I'm always excited for whatever is coming to the parks. To establish my street credit a little I have been going to the parks since I was 6 months old. I won't disclose my age here but I'm sure you can figure out based on some future comments I will make regarding alcohol.

*BEFORE COMMENTING AND SCREAMING AT ME that's fine but all I ask is for you to read the ENTIRE post
I'm looking for actual discussion (not name calling)

Before we go into this their is something I feel like I have to mention first off, as someone said in here before "Nostalgia is one hell of a drug". EPCOT means so much to the people here as we all take the time to go to message boards and engage in (sometimes very intense) discussions about it. What is EPCOT? Right now EPCOT IS A MESS it is supposed to be a celebration of nations though FESTIVALS, UNITY, AND A CELEBRATION OF ALL NATIONS. This is the most common description I see from most of the "Epcot Purists" I see on this forum. Being an Purist isn't always a bad thing by the way as they keep things in check with their outcry. Their is one problem with this description though....

IT IS BORING FOR TODAY'S AUDIENCE

Forget what you experienced as children, in today's age individuals that go to Disney enjoy IP based entertainment (THIS IS A FACT)
I would have to agree with them. Call me an Iger Loyalist I don't really care but this new wave of Disney rides has been (buy and large decent)

For example I was one of the few who was very happy to see ToT to go in CA. While it went though it's transformation to Breakout! I was ecstatic and sure the ride is different it in my opinion is a great ride in it's own right. Sure the twilight zone is timeless but when you take nostalgia away what do you have? Yes guardians doesn't exactly scream "timeless" but it's randomization with the tracks and the great bickering between them is entertaining (you kinda have to be soulless not to find it at the least bit entertaining). It was only a matter of time before this came to a WDW park as the contract doesn't have Guardians in the characters that are "affiliated with the Avengers name". This brings us to the coaster coming to Epcot again just like mission Breakout the Disney Fans are up and arms. "Guardians don't belong here yadda yadda ya". I say wait and see what happens this has the potential to be an amazing experience (who am I kidding? I have so much faith that it would be nothingness then amazing). I guarantee most of the people here when the attraction opens it will be one of the best (if not the best attraction in EPCOT) and you know what that is ok. EPCOT doesn't need to rely on the attractions as much as let's say MK because it has the general global atmosphere going for it but EPCOT could use a couple of more attractions as the current line up is lacking extremely (as no doubt many have voiced their concerns here)

I'm going to openly admit, I'm really not that familiar with alcohol and by extension drinking. While I am old enough to drink (just months old enough) I'm really not a fan of alcohol (bar some fruity drinks). You may be asking that's great Surfer why are you writing about alcohol this is an EPCOT thread. And to you I say...it's to create a point. I have never been to a beer garden (yes I know) and have been unfamiliar with the term and the concept as a whole. Every since this news has broken I have done my research on beer gardens and unless I'm missing something I think it would be a very nice area for EPCOT. The greens that will be placed where the FoN is now (don't worry I'll get to that) can add a new layer to the existing area on the walkway to the showcase. This can add very needed kinetics to an area that (let's face it kinda needs it) the old EPCOT is tired the main walkway (with the graveyard) looks old, and needs an update. This will update the area in such as way that will appeal to a new generation. Sure adding yet another retail space isn't great...but it will get the job done. As for FoN...I will admit it will be hard to see that go, I've always loved that design but just like everything in Disney nothing is permanent and while I'll be sad to see it go I'm intersed to see what the imagneers can do.

Same with Journey of Water if they want to be synergistic and add some IP into it, fine. I'm sure it's going to be a small thing anyways. EPCOT COULD USE THESE KINETICS adding a cool water feature yields 0 disadvantage to this whole situation. I have plenty of other thoughts (some are not suited for this thread). This post is already much longer then I originally anticipated but I feel like I had to get my unbiased thoughts out there. If you take nothing away from this thread please note this: I don't judge anything till I see it in person what looks bad on paper could be good in reality (and vice versa), so just give this a chance. EPCOT is changing and it will never be the same again but this could be a good thing as well as a bad thing. I tend not to dwell on the cons (which their are plenty) these can yield some great results for this beloved park.

I look forward to having THOUGHTFUL discussion NOT Disney bashing or name calling we are all people. I'm sure I'll get some angry comments. That's fine but I just wanted to get my thoughts off my chest.

Side Note: Bold is acting weird like I can't turn it off some times.

Also @TJ Vazquez how do you get your signature as a live countdown?

aladdin2007

It’s a problem. But why not repurpose the buildings. They’d still get the venues they seem to want and have more money to spend elsewhere. Like on Imagination.

There was a gorgeous plan to reuse both buildings and make better use of them as opposed to replacing what they have for something else that does the same thing.

I was thinking about this last night and can not figure out why they did not go with that plan. It seems like they could save millions of dollars by re-purposing and re configuring whats there, and still do a beautification project. Instead they want to blow loads of money unnecessarily, and make a big un-cohesive mess of things. To me the whole plan just looks like a big botched up mess.

Thats what happens when there is no one in charge with a creative vision/direction. Too many bean counters and cooks in the kitchen. I thought they had realized Epcot could not last on festival stuff alone and all that was going to change? what happened?

and I know this will be trivial to most, but I lament the loss of the beautiful lush forested area over between the entrance to the coral reef restaurant and the communicore building on the backside, its one of my favorite spots with beautiful trees and foliage. I hate to see all that ripped out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was thinking about this last night and can not figure out why they did not go with that plan. It seems like they could save millions of dollars by re-purposing and re configuring whats there, and still do a beautification project. Instead they want to blow loads of money unnecessarily, and make a big un-cohesive mess of things. To me the whole plan just looks like a big botched up mess.

Thats what happens when there is no one in charge with a creative vision/direction. Too many bean counters and cooks in the kitchen. I thought they had realized Epcot could not last on festival stuff alone and all that was going to change? what happened?
It’s almost like they’ve gone with band aids and not surgery again.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Also @TJ Vazquez how do you get your signature as a live countdown?
Hey there! Click your profile name on the top right and go to Signature and paste this in the box and put in your specifics like I did below. That should do the trick.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

I don't get why they need "Journey of Water". It's not like Orlando doesn't have any rain. It has too much rain.

I don't get this affection for "Fountain of Nations" when it's in Future World.

Epcot should evolve into what it already is... A World Showcase (when it's not Future World).

Epcot82Guy

My reaction since reading it yesterday continues to be "why?" It's not a bad design per se, but it makes no sense. And, it seems to be a ton more construction that is necessary - in a park where that money could easily have been spent elsewhere.

I've long said having a good craft beer place was a good idea. But, why not repurpose Odyssey into that?

A permanent festival center makes sense. So, why not repurpose Innov. West?

I also think the waterway system is a great idea. But, why not just add it (maybe removing a little bit of Innov. West if needed).

It seems a lot of this could have been accomplished with existing structures, opening them up and refinishing them. And, it would keep some sense of the original theme.

Now, it's innovation in a futuristic garden with beer and coffee in the natural future that has characters and science fiction but a live phone app near the space simulator with trees... and playgrounds... and TronTrack... and...

It's a mess...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Is there any room for the notion that the original design being nearly 40 years old now is part of their thinking that it is no longer "futuristic".

Perhaps because I've made my peace of Epcot not being what it was in the mid 90's for a while now and am curious to see what they do with it now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom