• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

The Empress Lilly

EPCOT for better or worse now has an identity of sorts with the Showcase. That's part of the unity, nations, etc. image. These new plans (beer gardens) are really turning EPCOT on its head and ruining what little identity it did have. I would love for the original idea of EPCOT to be realized, but we all know that will never happen. Not when you can make tons of money selling craft beer and turning EPCOT into Pleasure Island.
Yes to all of that.

HauntedPirate

Premium Member
Advertisement
I re-wrote EPCOT Center's statement a while back, and just tweaked it...

"To all who come to this former Place of Joy, Hope and Friendship
WELCOME

IPFestCot is inspired by Disney's IP. Here, Bob Iger's acquisitions are celebrated through rides and attractions, plus alcohol sales and merchandising opportunities, that promise new and exciting benefits for all shareholders and executives.

May IPFestCot entertain, thrill for short periods of time, and, above all, may it inebriate customers and suck more and more money from their wallets throughout the year."

Shaman

It’s a problem. But why not repurpose the buildings. They’d still get the venues they seem to want and have more money to spend elsewhere. Like on Imagination.

There was a gorgeous plan to reuse both buildings and make better use of them as opposed to replacing what they have for something else that does the same thing.
So much this. Need to stop lurking to agree.

I am all for having it be a greener space and that couldve still been accomplished had they kept the buildings. I just dont understand the reasoning behind removing buildings to only make way for festival space and a splash zone/trail. Is there a masterplan...some longterm use for this space that is being cleared? They couldve used that space for attractions...even used it as an opportunity to move CoP and SmallWorld over to Epcot which would've opened up space at MK for expansion. FW needs attractions. If not Tech stuff...something else.

I have never cared for any of the Epcot festivals. Epcot was my favorite park as a kid. It was just an interesting place from the moment you saw “the ball”. AK replaced it. A cohesive theme would be nice (and hey World’s Fair could be it) but regardless, attractions are needed if you’re going to bulldoze and clear so much space.

This direction they decided to go reminds me of Eisner days. More perceived short term bang for the buck trumps more costly creative long term vision. Does this extra space increase guest max capacity?

I think Disney will only be in the theme park game for as long as folks show up at the rate we see today. If anything should happen to that $$...they will unload ownership so fast. The parks are a cash cow. The company (and Wallstreet) doesn't care about nostalgia or theme park fans or Walt’s legacy or the old Disney approach. So if the analysts say a Beer Garden and festival space will bring in the truckloads of money...the hardcore fans take a hit. Disney has so much goodwill out there...it is why the Brand is firing on all cylinders. Millennials love pixie dust. But that magical connection took years and generations to build. They are slowly undoing that. I have never been much of a purist and I dont begrudge the corporate folks for looking out for the company and the profits, but as a fan it is increasingly frustrating...even more so as I try to navigate the sea of people at the parks on a hot day. People look so miserable half the time and I wonder if it will be sustainable if there’s nothing special to see.

jt04

Keeping the original buildings while adding green space means less room for increasingly larger crowds. Likely a factor in the new design.

jt04

Adding a preview center must mean they have more to preview than the wdw-n-t drawing indicates. Take that drawing with more salt than the living seas.

IMO.

FigmentJedi

I get what you're saying, but I also get what he's saying. EPCOT for better or worse now has an identity of sorts with the Showcase. That's part of the unity, nations, etc. image. These new plans (beer gardens) are really turning EPCOT on its head and ruining what little identity it did have. I would love for the original idea of EPCOT to be realized, but we all know that will never happen. Not when you can make tons of money selling craft beer and turning EPCOT into Pleasure Island.
Complete with a "Quick, throw something at the nostalgics" Epcot-flavored revival of the Adventurers Club, home to a cabaret show of lost Epcot characters starring a Dreamfinder puppet singing the Beer Song.

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
Adding a preview center must mean they have more to preview than the wdw-n-t drawing indicates. Take that drawing with more salt than the living seas.

IMO.
What preview center other than the Odyssey exhibition hall already announced?

IMDREW

I’ve not seen them from the sides (assuming I know anything) although as I said that piece of art was not very accurate.
Thanks! I did like the feel and look of that art tbh and was hopeful for that style in the setup the park has now. But I’m really disappointed in the direction they’ve chosen to go in. I know it is what it is, but for some reason I find it very hard to accept..

Top Bottom