Is the Coral Reef really that bad?

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
We are debating whether or not to book The Coral Reef restaurant for next year.
I have heard some good things about it, but more bad things.
Is it really that bad? :veryconfu

rainfully

I've only eaten there twice... I enjoyed it both times. My dad said his was one of the best steaks he's ever had... until he ate at Le Cellier the next night. :lol:

Don't forget to get the chocolate wave for dessert! :slurp:

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I've only eaten there twice... I enjoyed it both times. My dad said his was one of the best steaks he's ever had... until he ate at Le Cellier the next night. :lol:

Don't forget to get the chocolate wave for dessert! :slurp:
We are planning on eating at LeCellier also!
Thanks for the info.
:D :wave:

papercut

We ate there last year. I can't really comment on the food because we're vegetarians and don't eat much anyway, but I thought the theming was great and it's beautiful to watch the huge windows into the tank.

Our only complaint was that we wished it was more of a quiet/adult atmosphere like California Grill.

WickedQueen22

Our family loved it. Adults included. The filet mignon was excellent and my boyfriend loved the mahi mahi.

Give it a try, the view can't be beat.

lilclerk

We were there this February. I hate seafood (bad New Englander) but the New York Strip steak was incredible. And my boyfriend loved the Mahi Mahi, and he's generally not a fish eater either. I would definitely go there again, especially on free dining. It's expensive.

We didn't sit right next to the tank, but there isn't a bad view in the place. There was a turtle sitting and staring at a girl eating through her whole meal. It was pretty hilarious.

ImaYoyo

It's so-so. Go for the view, not the food. The blackened catfish with pepperjack cheese grits gets a 7.5/10 from me, and the salmon with israeli cous-cous is maybe a 6/10. Nothing spectacular, a few items that are sub-par, but overall a satisfactory menu. The food will not wow you though. I've had better food at Red Lobster.

Disneyfan1981

I wasn't under the impression that the food was bad here. I got the Surf/Turf the last time I ate there and while the steak was burned and poorly seasoned (especially compared to Le Cellier) the seafood was fantastic. The Lobster Tail was great, the biggest I've ever had and my wife loved her dish although I don't remember at this time what she had. Pricey but well worth it IMHO....

Coree

I'm not a big seafood eater, but were dining with friends who chose this restaurant. I got the tilapia and it was VERY good. None of us at the table had any complaints at all about our food.

DreamAurora

I went back in January and although le cellier is better food wise I really enjoyed our experience at Coral Reef. The food wasn't the best but I really enjoyed my steak and the desserts were very yummy. I highly recommend it.

DisneyGigi

I didn't think that it was bad, like someone else said it wasn't great but an overall good experience.I would go back and I loved the atmosphere.

H20Babie

It can get very noisy in there (underground aquarium = echo), but the food was great and my son and nephew were entertained by the aquarium, the divers and their virgin cocktails (with flashing glow cube). :) I had the mahi mahi too, and it was delicious, but nothing compared to the Chocolate Wave I had for dessert!

ImaYoyo

I wasn't under the impression that the food was bad here. I got the Surf/Turf the last time I ate there and while the steak was burned and poorly seasoned (especially compared to Le Cellier) the seafood was fantastic. The Lobster Tail was great, the biggest I've ever had and my wife loved her dish although I don't remember at this time what she had. Pricey but well worth it IMHO....
How long ago was that? I have a hard time remembering the last time they had surf and turf on the menu...

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
It can get very noisy in there (underground aquarium = echo), but the food was great and my son and nephew were entertained by the aquarium, the divers and their virgin cocktails (with flashing glow cube). :) I had the mahi mahi too, and it was delicious, but nothing compared to the Chocolate Wave I had for dessert!
I have heard a couple of others comment about the Chocolate Wave.
I love chocolate! :slurp: I may try it just for that reason! Thanks! :wave:

Us too

Our only complaint was that we wished it was more of a quiet/adult atmosphere like California Grill.[/quote]

We've only eaten there once and have to agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, and it is WDW...but it is also an expensive place to eat. Our kids are older now and we assumed it was more of an adult at-mouse-phere. To us it was more like an overpriced Chuck E Cheese's with fish sticks.:shrug:

ImaYoyo

Our only complaint was that we wished it was more of a quiet/adult atmosphere like California Grill.

We've only eaten there once and have to agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, and it is WDW...but it is also an expensive place to eat. Our kids are older now and we assumed it was more of an adult at-mouse-phere. To us it was more like an overpriced Chuck E Cheese's with fish sticks.:shrug:[/quote]
Wow. Overstatement of the day trophy goes to you! I think the prices are right inline with most WDW restaurants with this type of food.

shoppingnut

I ate there in July for the first time in a very long time and can tell you the food is much better. Our server could have been a bit nicer, but oh well. I would go there again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom