Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Mike S

I just wanted for once to be able to look down Hollywood Boulevard and see the theatre, but looks like the stage will be there most of the time now, that sucks. At least it's not permanent, but it sure does ruin that view still.
Yeah. I'm heading up this weekend and was so hoping that I would see that view.

Monorail_Red_77

I just wanted for once to be able to look down Hollywood Boulevard and see the theatre, but looks like the stage will be there most of the time now, that sucks. At least it's not permanent, but it sure does ruin that view still.

I don't think the stage will be up any longer than it was last year. Hopefully it will come down promptly after Frozen-mania is over and then they can finish work on the permanent stage in time for anything they decide to do for the Holidays/New Years.

Here's a screen shot from google maps. Funny enough it still has the hat AND the temp stage from sometime last year, possibly.

I'm wondering if with the new low profile stage they could do something similar to the Castle Stage. The thought here is that they could build a simple low profile stage (in the teal square where the BAH once stood) and then hide all of the lighting, etc in the landscaping areas shown in the red circles (old mickey eyes). They could be mounted on poles like normal.

I just think it would look better than that temp stage that keeps popping up year after year.
You would have thought that by now they would have said, "Hey! Lets build a permanent stage around here somewhere. This thing looks bad." It almost seems like some of management that likes this Temp Stage thingy are secretly working for Universal or something.

Also kinda like the way the umbrellas over Mickey's left eye (in the yellow oval) look like he either got some eyebrow piercings or it is from TDO taking a bat to his face and those are his stiches. :banghead:

Mickey: Hiya! Pal!
TDO: Um, hey Mickey.... Hey look over there, it's Minnie! (WACK) (POW) (SMACK)

2015-05-04 - DHS HUB - Edit.jpg

Next Big Thing

You guys act like this stage being there is something new. I know we all want a clear view, but for years DHS has had this stage up for probably half the year when you consider SWW, NOJ, NYE, July 4th (which always sets up 2 weeks early), and Frozen now. There used to be other events in the past that used it as well like ESPN the Weekend, Super Soap Weekend, etc.

I want the clear view as much as the next guy, but this stage is not a new development for DHS at all.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Quick thought, its almost known that DHS is about to get a major facelift. It is known that they are building that stage between ToT and RnRc. Is it possible that once the new stage is built they would move all big events with extensive rigging to that area leaving a smaller stage for smaller events? This would free up the site lines and I would like to think that after disney sinks some good cash into this park they will want it to show not hide it with a big stage...

Edit: forgot to say May the Fourth be with you!!!

G00fyDad

You guys act like this stage being there is something new. I know we all want a clear view, but for years DHS has had this stage up for probably half the year when you consider SWW, NOJ, NYE, July 4th (which always sets up 2 weeks early), and Frozen now. There used to be other events in the past that used it as well like ESPN the Weekend, Super Soap Weekend, etc.

I want the clear view as much as the next guy, but this stage is not a new development for DHS at all.

No one stated that it was new. The gripe is now that we finally get the amazing view of the theater back they drop the stage back in front and therefore continuing to block the view. No one said anything about it being new.

MGMBoy

any photos of that new stage near ToT?

It's not a stage really. There were permits filed for an enclosed, Block Box type theatre space which could (in theory) be modified to accommodate everything from cheerleading competitions to movie screenings. I would love it if they used that but they want the flash and noise of these events in as public a location as possible in order to maximize the marketing potential.

Rob562

So from the pics I've seen, it looks like they reconfigured the raised area that was originally under the Hat to a permanent raised "stage" area with ramps around the back leading up to it, not sure about steps in the front.

Though it only appears to be 4 or 5 steps higher than surrounding ground level, so 2-2.5 feet, which isn't really tall enough to function as the stage elevation for a show in the plaza. (I think the Castle's is at least 4 feet higher than the ground in front of it, and even the Jedi Training stage is at least 3') So for major events they'd have to build a raised platform above the concrete one.

Do you think it'd be too much to ask for them to leave the back open to the Theater, and split whatever backstage support areas they need into two "buildings" to either side that could also support two smaller Jumbotrons rather than one large one in the middle? That way you get a fairly open view of the Theater from down the street, and the screens would be off to the side not blocking the view.

-Rob

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do you think it'd be too much to ask for them to leave the back open to the Theater, and split whatever backstage support areas they need into two "buildings" to either side that could also support two smaller Jumbotrons rather than one large one in the middle? That way you get a fairly open view of the Theater from down the street, and the screens would be off to the side not blocking the view.

-Rob

One would hope. Then I saw the roof support legs configuration with the strange one-behind-the-other layout at the front as opposed to side by side. I'd assume side by side would be needed to support a screen. Hopefully I'm wrong and side screens will be supported from the floor and they use the theatre backdrop as a surface to illuminate in sync with stage action. That would be tolerable. In short doses.

Goofyernmost

Loved this view walking into the park. Thankfully the stage is a lot more "temporary" than the hat.
View attachment 92315
I'm not fond of the stage being there, but, anyone that says it's the same as the hat being there really should have their eyesight checked. You can now see the theater and you can identify it instantly. Before, with the hat, it was completely obstructed from the other end of the street. I do wish it wasn't there, but I also do not find it even a little bit as offensive as that Big Blue Hat.

Mike S

I'm not fond of the stage being there, but, anyone that says it's the same as the hat being there really should have their eyesight checked. You can now see the theater and you can identify it instantly. Before, with the hat, it was completely obstructed from the other end of the street. I do wish it wasn't there, but I also do not find it even a little bit as offensive as that Big Blue Hat.
Not saying it's the same. Just hoped my first trip back since the hat went down would be free of anything. Guess I have to wait till a later trip to finally see the full view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom