Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

psherman42

Quick thought, its almost known that DHS is about to get a major facelift. It is known that they are building that stage between ToT and RnRc. Is it possible that once the new stage is built they would move all big events with extensive rigging to that area leaving a smaller stage for smaller events? This would free up the site lines and I would like to think that after disney sinks some good cash into this park they will want it to show not hide it with a big stage...

Edit: forgot to say May the Fourth be with you!!!
Wait...what? They're building a stage between RNRC and ToT?

While I was at Disney before they put the screen up on the stage, even with it, the view down Hollywood Boulevard still looks MUCH better than with the hat.

Next Big Thing

They're building a simple multi purpose theatre building, yes. And yes it was an attraction expansion pad.

Regarding the current stage... give it a year. Though this one will be gone before that.
I'm not really worried about losing that expansion pad for the moment. Let's get the other end of the park figured out first, then we can revisit Sunset. It's always possible that these theatres, permanent as they may be, can be removed if it means putting in something that will bring in more money. They can always find room for another stage.

Rob562

I'm not really worried about losing that expansion pad for the moment. Let's get the other end of the park figured out first, then we can revisit Sunset. It's always possible that these theatres, permanent as they may be, can be removed if it means putting in something that will bring in more money. They can always find room for another stage.

It's also possible that this new "flex-theater" is the first step in a multi-step expansion process so they can remove a often-used theater elsewhere, like the Premiere Theater back by Streets of America... They had to build a new Lion King theater before they could do much work on Avatar...

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's also possible that this new "flex-theater" is the first step in a multi-step expansion process so they can remove a often-used theater elsewhere, like the Premiere Theater back by Streets of America... They had to build a new Lion King theater before they could do much work on Avatar...

-Rob

I totally agree with this. Right now they have plenty of free spaces to use for things, Premier, American Idol, old AFI locaiton, Sounds Dangerous (do they do anything in there?), so it doesn't make much sense to build a new flex-space if they are keeping all the old spaces. The locaiton of the new building also makes a lot of sense since any new projects in DHS aren't likely to have a big impact on that corner of the park.

WhatJaneSays

Must they block the Chinese Theater with a new stage, when there are other stage options at this park?
With the sq. footage, stage height, rigging, and whatnot needed for events like Star Wars Weekends it’s a proper sized stage. It’s location is really the only spot with a suitable footprint at DHS. They could likely get away with lowering the roof rigging 10 feet or so but that would do little to improve the sight lines for the Theater.

Really the only thing they could do is clear the entire courtyard of Mickey’s face by removing all the greenery/planters and move the infrastructure from where BAH was to between Mickey’s eyes. The stage area will still block the Theater but there would be sufficient area behind the stage for traffic flow and to appreciate the Theater from a better vantage point.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
With the sq. footage, stage height, rigging, and whatnot needed for events like Star Wars Weekends it’s a proper sized stage. It’s location is really the only spot with a suitable footprint at DHS. They could likely get away with lowering the roof rigging 10 feet or so but that would do little to improve the sight lines for the Theater.

Really the only thing they could do is clear the entire courtyard of Mickey’s face by removing all the greenery/planters and move the infrastructure from where BAH was to between Mickey’s eyes. The stage area will still block the Theater but there would be sufficient area behind the stage for traffic flow and to appreciate the Theater from a better vantage point.

Most of this park is suitable footprint. 3 better spots. Put it in front of the entrance for the abandoned tour. Put it in front of end of the tour. Put it in the footprint of the entry and exit of the tour. Put it anywhere but in front of the thing you blocked for years.

*1023*

aladdin2007

Most of this park is suitable footprint. 3 better spots. Put it in front of the entrance for the abandoned tour. Put it in front of end of the tour. Put it in the footprint of the entry and exit of the tour. Put it anywhere but in front of the thing you blocked for years.

*1023*

While I totally agree, in person it isnt nearly as bad or such an eyesore as it was when the hat was there. I mean yeah I still dont like the junky thing at all after we just got a good view back, but it blends in better than it did before and you can still see the theater from all angles nicely. The whole area/view looked so much more cleaned up and back to the way it should be, for the most part.

KeeKee

While I totally agree, in person it isnt nearly as bad or such an eyesore as it was when the hat was there. I mean yeah I still dont like the junky thing at all after we just got a good view back, but it blends in better than it did before and you can still see the theater from all angles nicely. The whole area/view looked so much more cleaned up and back to the way it should be, for the most part.
Agree. Not so bad in person at all. Not perfect, but not worth the angst.

Tom

Beta Return

The blackbox theater they're building next to RnRC is simple, but still a serious investment. It's going to be VERY versatile, with dressing rooms, a green room, a loading dock, a large "exhibit hall", and large public restrooms. It will have a lot of power, including generator backup power, and lots of telecom interconnection. It could also be used for live TV broadcast. It will sit behind a big set of gates, so it won't always be accessible to guests. It's an interesting project that lends itself to replacing many temporary presentation spaces in the park.

-Rob

Right.

I totally agree with this. Right now they have plenty of free spaces to use for things, Premier, American Idol, old AFI locaiton, Sounds Dangerous (do they do anything in there?), so it doesn't make much sense to build a new flex-space if they are keeping all the old spaces. The locaiton of the new building also makes a lot of sense since any new projects in DHS aren't likely to have a big impact on that corner of the park.

This too.

Next Big Thing

The blackbox theater they're building next to RnRC is simple, but still a serious investment. It's going to be VERY versatile, with dressing rooms, a green room, a loading dock, a large "exhibit hall", and large public restrooms. It will have a lot of power, including generator backup power, and lots of telecom interconnection. It could also be used for live TV broadcast. It will sit behind a big set of gates, so it won't always be accessible to guests. It's an interesting project that lends itself to replacing many temporary presentation spaces in the park.
Huh, live TV Broadcasts. While idk how likely it is, i'd love to see Disney be a bit more like Universal and maybe bring Jimmy Kimmel down for a week, Good Morning America, The View, Kelly & Micheal, etc for lots of cross promotion. This sounds like the perfect place to stage those types of things. I assume small concerts, possibly a concert series of some sort, could be held here.

dhall

Huh, live TV Broadcasts. While idk how likely it is, i'd love to see Disney be a bit more like Universal and maybe bring Jimmy Kimmel down for a week, Good Morning America, The View, Kelly & Micheal, etc for lots of cross promotion. This sounds like the perfect place to stage those types of things. I assume small concerts, possibly a concert series of some sort, could be held here.
It seems like ESPN is down there all the time -- they used to have 'ESPN, the Weekend' up until a couple of years ago, but I think Mike & MIke still do remotes from there, plus it seems like there's frequent coverage of whatever goes on at the sports park.

I think, though, that most of the remotes for things that happen during the day want to be outside: they'll want some prominent background on all live shots. Nightitme stuff, like Jimmy Kimmel: sure, use the performance space

Next Big Thing

It seems like ESPN is down there all the time -- they used to have 'ESPN, the Weekend' up until a couple of years ago, but I think Mike & MIke still do remotes from there, plus it seems like there's frequent coverage of whatever goes on at the sports park.

I think, though, that most of the remotes for things that happen during the day want to be outside: they'll want some prominent background on all live shots. Nightitme stuff, like Jimmy Kimmel: sure, use the performance space
Yep, Mike & Mike and Baseball Tonight both did week long stints at WDW during Spring Training, broadcasting from Wide World of Sports (Mike & Mike did one show from DTD on the waterfront stage).

That's why I didn't mention any ESPN stuff because they normally like a good background . Something like Jimmy Kimmel would be perfect for a space as they could make it similar to his current stage, there's room for an audience and it'd synergy. Maybe film some segments with Jimmy running around the resort, going on some rides, etc. Would be great cross-promotion.

hpyhnt 1000

I like the thought of Jimmy Kimmel running around WDW to compete with Jimmy Falon running around Universal, but I imagine it would be a lot easier to just do it at Disneyland.

But considering Iger's love of branding and synergy, it is somewhat surprising it hasn't been done more (if at all). Maybe Kimmel is against doing it.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I like the thought of Jimmy Kimmel running around WDW to compete with Jimmy Falon running around Universal, but I imagine it would be a lot easier to just do it at Disneyland.

But considering Iger's love of branding and synergy, it is somewhat surprising it hasn't been done more (if at all). Maybe Kimmel is against doing it.

Kimmel routinely pushes TWDC agenda, everything from vaccines to the Avengers. I'm a fan of his but he certainly does what is asked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom