Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

DizFiz

I love it if someday Disney decides to give us back the old view of the Grauman's Chinese Theatre... instead of this eyesore.... but then again.... its Disney so who knows.

MarkTwain

The only reason the Hat is still there is that no one makes a hat box large enough to store it.

For now, GenerationX... for now.

HollywoodHatbox_zps786ccec2.jpg

jrogue

I'm all for them removing the hat from its current location! I was only thirteen when the hat was added, but even then I knew it was a terrible idea. Thirteen years later and I still much prefer the aesthetic look of the theater.

If they wanted to keep the hat, they should move it and make it the entrance to some new kind of attraction or land inside of MGM. The theater is a good enough weenie for the park. It's less effective now that it's blocked by a giant, awkward hat. Not to mention Mickey's hand coming out of the ground o_O Was that really necessary to signify that it's Mickey's hat?

Something else that's upset me for a while is how the whole hidden Mickey in the park map has been ruined by that darn hat. I still strain to look for the remainders of it every time I get a map for the Studios.

Remember how awesome the Backlot Tour used to be?

herc

I know way back when the icon used to be both the Chinese Theatre and the Earful Tower. When I find them at home, I will scan and post the bags and brochures.
The Earful Tower is not a functioning tower as stated. It is where it is as it is the beacon for all the cars and buses driving up World Drive (I think it is World Drive).
The hat, yes the BAH, was places for the 100 Years of Magic celebration and should definitely be removed. It served its purpose in as the icon for the celebration and served its purpose for Four Parks Merchandise. Now it has become old and talked about more than anything else in WDW other than how inept and cheap TDO really is.
It is really a shame that the Mickey icon is not used anymore from the aerial view. I remember how everyone reacted when they saw these shots. It is something unexpected and totally Disney (of old).
The best thing Disney (TDO or whoever) is to completely revamp the entire park. I love the idea of making each section a different studio. Muppets need some love and making that entire area a Muppet miniland makes the most sense. Lucas has so many iconic movies to explore. Pixar could take over the entire back area and not just for Carsland. The animation studio area needs a swift kick in the butt as this is what the entire Disney Brothers Studios were based around originally. The Hollywood that never was or whatever could and should be represented by Hollywood Bvd and Sunset Blvd. I just wish there was something that could be done to the RockN Roller Coaster as it is too modern to be where it is.
The name of the park could be changed to just Disney's Hollywood!
It is time to take some of the parking lot, some of the water in the front and add more square footage to the park. Whoever decided to place it where it is never thought of expansion. Seriously, water in front of the park, parking lot to the side, World Drive to one side and Epcot Resorts Drive (the one that goes by the Boardwalk) is on the other. It is too crazy of a layout.
And whoever said that we should not use the theatre as the icon might not realize that most of the shops/restaurants on both HB and SB are representations of buildings from old Hollywood. Some are still present today.

Simple question for you...

Did you ever visit D/MGM Studios BEFORE the hat was installed?
I did. My last visit prior to February 2013 was July of 1998. I won't lie the replica of Grauman's Chinese Theatre never did anything for me. I'm a big Fantasia fan and Sorcerer Mickey is one of my favorites. I like big and gaudy. The hat plays to my wheel house. It just screams fun. Is it out of place? You bet it is. Is it an eye sore? Too some maybe. I'm just offering up my support for it to stay. I also liked New Coke, thought Zima wasn't the worst idea in the world and I am ok with the Star Wars prequels. Not saying my opinion is right, just saying it's MINE. LONG LIVE THE HAT!!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I did. My last visit prior to February 2013 was July of 1998. I won't lie the replica of Grauman's Chinese Theatre never did anything for me. I'm a big Fantasia fan and Sorcerer Mickey is one of my favorites. I like big and gaudy. The hat plays to my wheel house. It just screams fun. Is it out of place? You bet it is. Is it an eye sore? Too some maybe. I'm just offering up my support for it to stay. I also liked New Coke, thought Zima wasn't the worst idea in the world and I am ok with the Star Wars prequels. Not saying my opinion is right, just saying it's MINE. LONG LIVE THE HAT!!
You made me smile with your Zima reference...

I have to agree, Stephen Rock, LONG LIVE THE HAT!! The theater is cool and all, but just not a DISNEY ICON! For example, when you think Cinderella Castle, you think Disney; When you think of a giant golf ball/geodesic sphere/globe, you think Disney; When you think of a giant carved tree, you think Disney. On the other hand (if no hat was present), when you think of the chinese theater, you think hollywood. What's wrong with this? The fact that when you see this icon, you DO NOT think Disney. That probably don't sit too well with anyone in TDO. Too much of a loss of individuality, and money. KEEP THE HAT! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom