Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Magic Lamp

MYTH!!!!!!! :mad:

Sometimes I wonder how many people blindly go through life just believing the first thing they hear about things. These people probably believe they will get warts from frogs, that Bloody Mary is real, and that Walt's head is cryogenically frozen. :rolleyes:
Jeez, calm down. Are you always that aggressive? I'm sorry for not being up-to-date with the truths of this world 24/7. When trying to find out not that long ago just why that silly hat is staying, that's the only (reasonably sounding) explanation I have found. If you know the absolute truth, then please indulge all of us. I'm all ears.

Sped2424

Jeez, calm down. Are you always that aggressive? I'm sorry for not being up-to-date with the truths of this world 24/7. When trying to find out not that long ago just why that silly hat is staying, that's the only (reasonably sounding) explanation I have found. If you know the absolute truth, then please indulge all of us. I'm all ears.
HE SAID HE IS ALL EARS BA DUM TSSSSS but seriously people on this site are quick to attack one another lets all just calm down and sing.

G00fyDad

I am calm. It is more of a shout to all those that seem unable to listen. This has been labeled a myth so many times that it is ridiculous. Disney has never had any copyright issues with the theater. Ever. If they had then they would have had to rework the entire facade to look like something else. Tossing the hat in front of it would have done nothing to make legal trouble go away. The hat was placed there as a temporary promotional gimmick and the lazy SOB that makes the decisions has yet to remove it. The reasons for the aggressive tone is because it was already labeled a myth several times in this thread already, let alone the hundreds of times in other threads.

HE SAID HE IS ALL EARS BA DUM TSSSSS but seriously people on this site are quick to attack one another lets all just calm down and sing.

Not attacking. ;)

Krazy Joe

You mean back when the park was known as Disney-MGM Studios and claimed to be a "working" television and film production studio/theme park?

It ain't that anymore, by a long shot.

Q: So why would the water tower become the icon of the park today?
A: It wouldn't.

A) Your point?
B) Yes, it should be. And probably will be.

lazyboy97o

Are you sure that's a myth? It keeps coming up a lot. Maybe it's not a myth. If it was, wouldn't it have been disproven by now?

I'm not saying it's NOT a myth, just how can you know it is for sure?
Besides the issue of the actual copyright laws and their applicability, do you honestly think Disney would have signed a 12 year deal for such a prominent structure?

darthspielberg

Here's an idea. Move the Hat just ever slightly to the right. Remove the old "Disney's Hollywood Studios" Universal style gate that leads to Animation Courtyard, and move the hat over there as the entrance to that.Keep it as the park icon, move it out of the way of the theater

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
why can't the hat go onto the earful tower?
Awesome :D
I can think of a few reasons...The main reason, obviously, is that the water tower's hat size is 342 3/8, where the Sorcerer's hat is a 605 7/8. Oh, and the hat weighs in at over 150 tons, but we could work around that...stick it up there and lets see what happens! :eek:

GiveMeTheMusic

Are you sure that's a myth? It keeps coming up a lot. Maybe it's not a myth. If it was, wouldn't it have been disproven by now?

I'm not saying it's NOT a myth, just how can you know it is for sure?

Because it's a senseless myth. If Disney had a copyright issue with having the Chinese Theater in the park, sticking a giant plastic hat in front of it would NOT resolve that issue. I can walk around behind the hat and take all the pictures of the Chinese Theater I want, and then I can go inside!

If Disney "lost the rights" to the Chinese Theater, the building would be gone. There would be no more Chinese Theater.

Common sense strikes again!

Doug Means

Awesome :D
I can think of a few reasons...The main reason, obviously, is that the water tower's hat size is 342 3/8, where the Sorcerer's hat is a 605 7/8. Oh, and the hat weighs in at over 150 tons, but we could work around that...stick it up there and lets see what happens! :eek:
it doesn't have to be THAT hat but one to fit that looks exactly like it...

RSoxNo1

I thought that was the tagline for Tommorowland - The future that never was - and always will be

So...by this reasoning we can call:
EPCOT - The city that never was - and always will be.
DAK - The zoo that never was - and always will be.
TDO - Customer Service that never was - and always will be.
The Hollywood that never was, and always will be was on the dedication plaque for MGM Studios, I wasn't aware of similar phrasing used elsewhere on property. The Tomorrowland concept I recalled was the interplanetary convention center.

RSoxNo1

The Tower of Terror make some sense to me as the park icon. The front half of that park exists as a buildup to that attraction. Similarly, I could see them doing a major upgrade on The Great Movie Ride and removing the hat in the process, then make the Chinese theater the icon.

lazyboy97o

The Hollywood that never was, and always will be was on the dedication plaque for MGM Studios, I wasn't aware of similar phrasing used elsewhere on property. The Tomorrowland concept I recalled was the interplanetary convention center.
The attraction poster for Tomorrowland '94 reads "The Future that Never Was... Is Finally Here!"

harryk

Here's an idea. Move the Hat just ever slightly to the right. Remove the old "Disney's Hollywood Studios" Universal style gate that leads to Animation Courtyard, and move the hat over there as the entrance to that.Keep it as the park icon, move it out of the way of the theater
While there at it -- move the stage that is in front of it over to the side with it.

BryceM

It's the park's identity crisis that really contributes to the park not having a solid icon. Half of the park is beautiful, as it celebrates classic Hollywood. The other half revolves around soundstages and fake movie production.

midwest_mice

Besides being an eyesore, the hat remains useless except for a little shop(if its still there). The castle houses dining, Spaceship Earth houses a ride, and the Tree of Life houses Bugs Life. Hat is pretty much useless and seems dropped out of the air to a random spot. At least the useless-ness of the water tower(since there's not actually water in it), was out of the way and not obstructing anything important like the theatre.

HMF

Just tear the thing down, it would be far less expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom