Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Tom

Beta Return
I have to agree, Stephen Rock, LONG LIVE THE HAT!! The theater is cool and all, but just not a DISNEY ICON! For example, when you think Cinderella Castle, you think Disney; When you think of a giant golf ball/geodesic sphere/globe, you think Disney; When you think of a giant carved tree, you think Disney. On the other hand (if no hat was present), when you think of the chinese theater, you think hollywood. What's wrong with this? The fact that when you see this icon, you DO NOT think Disney. That probably don't sit too well with anyone in TDO. Too much of a loss of individuality, and money. KEEP THE HAT! :D

It has become evident to me that you did not visit Disney-MGM Studios prior to the installation of the hat, or else you would not have said that.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
The Moorish architecture of the Hollywood Tower Hotel enables it to blend in with the Morocco Pavilion. A big blue cone would ruin that work.
I love pointing out ToT from Epcot to my traveling companions. They are always surprised to see it.
Too bad there was no such attempt to disguise the Swolphin!

Clever Name

The Moorish architecture of the Hollywood Tower Hotel enables it to blend in with the Morocco Pavilion. A big blue cone would ruin that work.
They could do some landscaping that would block the top of the BAH from the EPCOT view. It would then look like a blue Fez and would blend right in with Moroccan architecture. They could even build a structure that when viewed from EPCOT would look like a tassel dangling from the BAH.

But you're right. It would be better just to leave the BAH in its current location.

Axle1986

I did, and I love the hat. I know that's not a popular opinion around here, but there are a few of us out there. So shoot me.

Ok.

Black_Pete_Shooting.gif

Tom

Beta Return
The Sorcerer's Hat is a beautiful and recognizable icon! It would be a shame for it to go. I have never understood why people don't like it. Grauman's Chinese Theater would not make a good icon for the park because it is essentially just a building and it isn't colorful and striking enough to be Disney's Hollywood Studios icon.

I don't think anyone, or very few people for that matter, are saying that they want the Chinese Theater to be the "Icon" for the park (as in, the graphic used to represent the park in marketing materials and merchandise). We just don't like the hat in its current location. It blocked the view of the most fantastic architectural elements in the park, and completely ruined the view down a symbolic, and iconic, Hollywood Boulevard.

I disliked the Epcot wand more than I dislike the hat. But I absolutely HATE the placement of the hat. If they had put it out front of the park, in the entry plaza (as it was originally designed), it would be just fine as both a landmark and the "Icon".

My vote would be to trash it or move it. But in no scenario would my vote be for anything that allows something to continue to block the Chinese Theater.

cslafferty

I don't think anyone, or very few people for that matter, are saying that they want the Chinese Theater to be the "Icon" for the park (as in, the graphic used to represent the park in marketing materials and merchandise). We just don't like the hat in its current location. It blocked the view of the most fantastic architectural elements in the park, and completely ruined the view down a symbolic, and iconic, Hollywood Boulevard.

I disliked the Epcot wand more than I dislike the hat. But I absolutely HATE the placement of the hat. If they had put it out front of the park, in the entry plaza (as it was originally designed), it would be just fine as both a landmark and the "Icon".

My vote would be to trash it or move it. But in no scenario would my vote be for anything that allows something to continue to block the Chinese Theater.

I agree that the placement if the hat is not ideal. I would rather see it out side the entrance to the park, but don't get rid if it!

I have another confession to make: I also liked the wand on SE! But, to my defense, you have to realize that my first trip to WDW was in the summer of 1999. The giant 2000 went on SE right after that, and then the wand. When I look at it now, it just looks so plain! So, shoot me again.

Eeyore13

The Chinese Theater was the park's original icon when it first opened. Disney decided that is wasn't reconizable enough and that is why the Socerer's Hat was added. I think the Hat is in a great location and it is also a great place to meet characters throughout the day. Obviously I have very few people who agree with me on that but I have always found the Hat to be charming and conveniently located. Sorry! :/
That is not the reason the hat was added, the hat was added as a 100 years celebration. It was the same time the wand was added at EPCOT and both were initially supposed to be temporary.

articos

I have always thought that mickey was a bit silly to wear his Big Fat Hat on is nose.

tumblr_lmizakat3Y1qzbdgko1_500.jpg

Formerly.

MIckeyMGM.jpg

And now.
One of these you can see the hub plaza. And one of these looks like a mess. None of the landscaping has been kept the way it was planned or supposed to be. It's not as bad as it looks because of the angle of the photo, but still not the way it was planned to look.

afar28

The Chinese Theater was the park's original icon when it first opened. Disney decided that is wasn't reconizable enough and that is why the Socerer's Hat was added. I think the Hat is in a great location and it is also a great place to meet characters throughout the day. Obviously I have very few people who agree with me on that but I have always found the Hat to be charming and conveniently located. Sorry! :/
That is not the reason the hat was added, the hat was added as a 100 years celebration. It was the same time the wand was added at EPCOT and both were initially supposed to be temporary.
Yes, it was supposed to be temporary, and be removed after one year. It's now overstayed it welcome way too much.

articos

The Sorcerer's Hat is a beautiful and recognizable icon! It would be a shame for it to go. I have never understood why people don't like it. Grauman's Chinese Theater would not make a good icon for the park because it is essentially just a building and it isn't colorful and striking enough to be Disney's Hollywood Studios icon.
Er, all due respect, but the Theater was an icon for the Studios for many years, as you state just below.
The Chinese Theater was the park's original icon when it first opened. Disney decided that is wasn't reconizable enough and that is why the Socerer's Hat was added.
Not true.

Rodan75

The stupid Earful Tower was the original icon, going back to when the only 2rides that were open were the BLT and GMR. IMO, Hollywood Studios has never had a great icon. I'm assuming DHS 2.0 (or are we at 3.0)will have a new icon in whatever refresh that may come.

lazyboy97o

As was so widely pointed out early, Disney's is used merely as the possessive. It's still supposed to be about Hollywood, not Disney's Hollywood.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Born after 1992 I assume?

BoarderPhreak

But "The Wand" at EC was for the millennium celebration. It wasn't until later on that "2000" was replaced with "Epcot" (in that nasty font)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom