Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Krazy Joe

HMF

so just because "it's not going anywhere" means we have to just change our opinions about the hat? no screw you i hate the hat and i want it gone.

now, i came to terms with the fact that it's not leaving any time in the next decade. that doesn't make my personal feelings about it go away.
Almost every insider has said that the hat will be gone well before the end of this decade, So regardless of varying opinions within the fanbase, the only thing that matters in the long run is what is decided by TDO and WDI. The hat (like the wand before it) was only intended to be temporary for the 100 Years of Magic campaign and the only reason it still stands is because of lack of demolition funds, It has been confirmed that WDI wants it gone so the question at the moment is "When" rather than "If" they will remove it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have a hard time believing money is why its still hanging around. The amount of money disney blows on purely cosmetic things left and right for only temporary stuff.. I find it hard to believe they can't find a a couple ten thousand dollars to rip this thing down. I have to believe it's much more of a problem of 'whats the harm? just leave it...' and not wanting to spend any money on it.. not that money couldn't be found. This is a much easier structure to get rid of compared to say what the Wand was.

They should be able to get rid of most of it over just a few nights. Lack of motivation I'd wager is the problem - not lack of funds.

pumpkin7

Watch out everyone, much more talk like this and you'll end up with a giant Stitch in place of the hat!

And I'm all for the Earful Tower becoming the park icon again. I know they're trying to get away from the whole working studio thing but there's nothing much more classic I can think of from that park.

TalkingHead

Uh, The water tower was the icon of the park for the first 11 and a half years of it's existence.

You mean back when the park was known as Disney-MGM Studios and claimed to be a "working" television and film production studio/theme park?

It ain't that anymore, by a long shot.

Q: So why would the water tower become the icon of the park today?
A: It wouldn't.

G00fyDad

You mean back when the park was known as Disney-MGM Studios and claimed to be a "working" television and film production studio/theme park?

It ain't that anymore, by a long shot.

Q: So why would the water tower become the icon of the park today?
A: It wouldn't.

Q: How do you know that?
A: You wouldn't.

TP2000

The hat (like the wand before it) was only intended to be temporary for the 100 Years of Magic campaign and the only reason it still stands is because of lack of demolition funds, It has been confirmed that WDI wants it gone so the question at the moment is "When" rather than "If" they will remove it.

So is there a clock in TDO still ticking, then? The title for this four year old thread is still valid? That's good news.

Can anyone hear the ticking? Shhhh...... I can't hear the ticking. Who hears the ticking?

Magic Lamp

I have a hard time believing money is why its still hanging around. The amount of money disney blows on purely cosmetic things left and right for only temporary stuff.. I find it hard to believe they can't find a a couple ten thousand dollars to rip this thing down. I have to believe it's much more of a problem of 'whats the harm? just leave it...' and not wanting to spend any money on it.. not that money couldn't be found. This is a much easier structure to get rid of compared to say what the Wand was.

They should be able to get rid of most of it over just a few nights. Lack of motivation I'd wager is the problem - not lack of funds.
Actually, it's the right's to display the Grauman's Chinese Theatre replica in the back. Unless Disney has come to an agreement with its current owners or has plans to replace it with another (unique) icon, the hat won't move.

Personally, I wish it'd disappear forever - I don't mind a smaller version on the Earful Tower - because compared to the rest of the overall Disney theming, the hat was one of the worst designs ever to be introduced into any park.

G00fyDad

Actually, it's the right's to display the Grauman's Chinese Theatre replica in the back. Unless Disney has come to an agreement with its current owners or has plans to replace it with another (unique) icon, the hat won't move.

Personally, I wish it'd disappear forever - I don't mind a smaller version on the Earful Tower - because compared to the rest of the overall Disney theming, the hat was one of the worst designs ever to be introduced into any park.

MYTH!!!!!!! :mad:

Sometimes I wonder how many people blindly go through life just believing the first thing they hear about things. These people probably believe they will get warts from frogs, that Bloody Mary is real, and that Walt's head is cryogenically frozen. :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
My problem with this idea is that the water tower image is one tied to backlots. The backlot is not in the front of the park, is not used and may not be around at all much longer.

It is from Eisner's dedication speech.
"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be."
And we all know that Eisner was a creative genius that never reused an idea or catchphrase.

JWG

So, nothing new here then... I've been away and apparently news is so prevalent that there are threads older than my user ID on the front page.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom