Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

I've been thinking a lot about this topic and I've been studying the Google Earth view of DHS, and it seems that the hat could be placed elsewhere. I considered awhile back (when the rumors that Indiana Jones' Epic Stunt Spectacular might be closing were raging) that if something if the nature of removing Indy was to happen, that the area where the entrance to the current Indy show is would be the perfect place to put the hat. Take a look through your mind's eye to see what I am talking about. I could see it... but then I remembered the large Dinosaur in Echo Lake and M&B's DD kind of block the view from there... (it was a thought... ). Then, I considered the image of the hat located outside the park near the bus loading/unloading areas, and the boat dock, that cw1982 mentioned before. That could work. In any case, DHS needs a re-theming. Since the 'Real-Working Studio' idea is defunct now, lets look at how the whole park needs to be touched. For example, Hollywood Blvd., and Sunset Blvd. are both sections that aren't supposed to be in a studio, so they should follow realism. The Echo Lake and Lucasfilm sections, as well as Pixar Place and The Streets of America (and etc...) are all parts of a movie studio. There should be some 'gate' that leads into these where the hat resides or something of the sort.... I really don't know... but something needs to be done, and it seems everyone has said that since the Hat was installed.....

biggy H

As has been mentioned before, nothing wrong with the hat by itself as an icon. But it's more appropriate for the Animation Courtyard. This way, WDW keeps the hat AND the view is opened up along Hollywood Blvd. again.

The point of having it as an icon is that it is seen just about as soon as you enter the park, just like the castle at MK, SSE at EPCOT and the Tree of Life at AK. Moving it somewhere else you wouldn't get the same effect.

We have to remember there are probably more people who don't know any other view at DHS apart from the one with the Hat and if it is removed would probably complain just as much as people who want it removed.

BrerJon

The point of having it as an icon is that it is seen just about as soon as you enter the park, just like the castle at MK, SSE at EPCOT and the Tree of Life at AK. Moving it somewhere else you wouldn't get the same effect.

But if you remove the hat, the Chinese Theater becomes the icon, just as it used to be. Thematically it works far better... you're drawn into the world of old Hollywood, then into the most famous cinema of all time, and from there you'll enter into the world of movies, in the same way in Magic Kingdom you're going though small-town Edwardian America, but then there's a castle at the end that leads to a fantasy land of adventures.

The hat doesn't draw crowds in as a gateway to anything magical... it's just an ugly hat.

Bocabear

I've been thinking a lot about this topic and I've been studying the Google Earth view of DHS, and it seems that the hat could be placed elsewhere. I considered awhile back (when the rumors that Indiana Jones' Epic Stunt Spectacular might be closing were raging) that if something if the nature of removing Indy was to happen, that the area where the entrance to the current Indy show is would be the perfect place to put the hat. Take a look through your mind's eye to see what I am talking about. I could see it... but then I remembered the large Dinosaur in Echo Lake and M&B's DD kind of block the view from there... (it was a thought... ). Then, I considered the image of the hat located outside the park near the bus loading/unloading areas, and the boat dock, that cw1982 mentioned before. That could work. In any case, DHS needs a re-theming. Since the 'Real-Working Studio' idea is defunct now, lets look at how the whole park needs to be touched. For example, Hollywood Blvd., and Sunset Blvd. are both sections that aren't supposed to be in a studio, so they should follow realism. The Echo Lake and Lucasfilm sections, as well as Pixar Place and The Streets of America (and etc...) are all parts of a movie studio. There should be some 'gate' that leads into these where the hat resides or something of the sort.... I really don't know... but something needs to be done, and it seems everyone has said that since the Hat was installed.....
There are simpler solutions... The center of the Animation Courtyard would work, and it would make sense... Also the opposite end of Hollywood Blvd would make even more sense as the focal point of the entrance of the park... Pass beneath the magical hat and into "The Golden Age Of Hollywood". The park keeps the hat, it now play opposite the Chinese Theater, and when stepping onto Hollywood Blvd, it is the proper vintage view...
Win Win....

BrerJon

There are simpler solutions... The center of the Animation Courtyard would work, and it would make sense... Also the opposite end of Hollywood Blvd would make even more sense as the focal point of the entrance of the park... Pass beneath the magical hat and into "The Golden Age Of Hollywood". The park keeps the hat, it now play opposite the Chinese Theater, and when stepping onto Hollywood Blvd, it is the proper vintage view...
Win Win....

I really think the hat's just going to be demolished. It's so ugly, and guests will soon forget it... the cost of moving it is far higher than just smashing it to bits, and when Disney's concerned they will always take the cheaper option.

Marc Gil

Tick. Tock.
image.jpg

My god... We're being teased!

Bocabear

I really think the hat's just going to be demolished. It's so ugly, and guests will soon forget it... the cost of moving it is far higher than just smashing it to bits, and when Disney's concerned they will always take the cheaper option.
you are probably right... It is always the Value engineered option that wins.

G00fyDad

Ohhhh....to live the life of a true insider. What a wonderful life it must be right now.:cold:

Or complete hell. Think about it. You would have all of this knowledge and you couldn't tell anyone until someone at Disney gave you the thumbs up, even subtly. Do you have any idea how many heads would roll if information kept leaking out well in advance of their wishes? Our insiders would be placing their friends (or their) jobs at risk by spilling the information too soon. I would hate having that sort of responsibility.

Mike S

Or complete hell. Think about it. You would have all of this knowledge and you couldn't tell anyone until someone at Disney gave you the thumbs up, even subtly. Do you have any idea how many heads would roll if information kept leaking out well in advance of their wishes? Our insiders would be placing their friends (or their) jobs at risk by spilling the information too soon. I would hate having that sort of responsibility.
With great power, comes great responsibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom