Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

DVC91

Can't see the Tree of Life from the entrance of AK? Better make a Cave of Wonders replica for us to walk through filled with Iger portraits so we may witness his greatness!

In all seriousness, I feel that the subtlety of the theatre and the TOL creates a more immersive experience. You don't have the symbols of these parks forced on you. Of course, CC and SSE are prominent icons and are beloved, but the secondary park feel of HS and AK lead me to feel that their icons shouldn't be so "in your face". Just my 2¢

Edit: I know Iger isn't responsible for the initial placement of the BAH but he does play an essential role in it's prolonged lifespan

Cmdr_Crimson

The one thing that bother's me is what it does to one of the Bigger hidden Mickey's...
is.php

So anytime I see this with the friggin Hat on the Satellite Images...All I think of is this....
mickeysorcerernose_zpse0cde3b4.jpg

Mickey Your Doing it Wrong!!!

Last edited:

WDWResort

Can't see the Tree of Life from the entrance of AK? Better make a Cave of Wonders replica for us to walk through filled with Iger portraits so we may witness his greatness!

In all seriousness, I feel that the subtlety of the theatre and the TOL creates a more immersive experience. You don't have the symbols of these parks forced on you. Of course, CC and SSE are prominent icons and are beloved, but the secondary park feel of HS and AK lead me to feel that their icons shouldn't be so "in your face". Just my 2¢

Edit: I know Iger isn't responsible for the initial placement of the BAH but he does play an essential role in it's prolonged lifespan

Love this about DAK, it's a hike through unknown territory, where each turn you expect to come out but you don't, then you come up over the bridge and see the TOL. It's so great.

Back to topic, whether or not the theater is supposed to be the icon or not, it still beats the BAH, IMO.

cw1982

If they want to keep the BAH as the park "icon," I don't see why they can't move it to just outside the park near the parking lot. Spaceship Earth is pretty much immediately visible upon entering Epcot, so it's not like all of the parks have icons that are "hidden" upon first arrival. BAH would be less of an eye sore if it wasn't blocking the view of the theater imo.

cheezbat

The view now is one ugly jumbled mess. Anyone who thinks its better now than before the hats existence clearly didnt visit the park all that much beforehand.

Studios put you IN Hollywood. A clean, awesome, Disney version. I loved it. Now the park is a dang mess.

Bocabear

The theater in these shots is not dominate at all. In fact it is rather tiny. Attention is drawn to this location because it is the vanishing point of the scene. These photos are examples of one point perspective as exemplified by the vanishing point theorem.

As lazyboy97o points out the theater is revealed over time as one walks down the street. It was not designed to be readily seen from the entrance. The BAH was designed to be easily recognizable from the park entrance (and other points as well).
The theater was indeed visible and fully recognizable... in pictures it is all about lenses and what they do...no picture will give you the accurate view of exactly how it appeared to the naked eye in person...
Everyone saw it as soon as you got on the street, it was not so distant no one knew what it was....that is just ridiculous.
and yes the hat is larger and brighter...
but make no mistake, the theater was visible....and no one seemed confused as to what it was...

DVC91

Studios put you IN Hollywood. A clean, awesome, Disney version. I loved it. Now the park is a dang mess.

Not to mention that horrific stage that makes the view even more terrible. Nothing like being forced to listen to mediocre rock songs when you enter the park :rolleyes:

Back to topic, whether or not the theater is supposed to be the icon or not, it still beats the BAH, IMO.

I'm all about the Earful Tower as the Icon for the park, as it represents a lot of Hollywood history. I probably should have communicated that I enjoyed the view of the uninstructed theatre much like the entrance to MK, not that I felt it should have been or become the icon for the park

harryk

Not to mention that horrific stage that makes the view even more terrible. Nothing like being forced to listen to mediocre rock songs when you enter the park :rolleyes:

I'm all about the Earful Tower as the Icon for the park, as it represents a lot of Hollywood history. I probably should have communicated that I enjoyed the view of the uninstructed theatre much like the entrance to MK, not that I felt it should have been or become the icon for the park
While the Earful Tower is a great icon for DHS - the theatre is the ICON is always envision when I think of DHS.
The stage in front of the 'HAT' is an eyesore like no other I have seen. It looks as though a bunch of kids got together and built an erector set. It needs to go. Move it over to the Lights, Motor, Action area.
The ambience of DHS can well do without it -- to include the 'Hat' where it is.

DVC91

The stage in front of the 'HAT' is an eyesore like no other I have seen. It looks as though a bunch of kids got together and built an erector set. It needs to go. Move it over to the Lights, Motor, Action area.
The ambience of DHS can well do without it -- to include the 'Hat' where it is.

Not to mention the BAH and the Sight That Makes For Sore Eyes tosses the theming of the entrance of the park into a blender. IMO move that stage behind Rockin', and I don't mean where The Darth Mall tent is set up during Star Wars Weekends. Hide that thing from everyone.
Or... Move the stage to rockin, cut the size down with half the lights and half the monitors/speakers and have those weird pop soundy groups sing Aerosmith covers every once in a while

As for the BAH, I've always wanted them to move it to the pathway up to Fantasmic. You would be able to see it peaking out when coming up to the bag check and entrance, the theming fits with the show, and there's nothing there but the pathway. Make underneath it the stroller parking area (and probably some spill area outside of it). I don't think it would block ToT or draw attention away from it, it would fix the theming issues at the entrance, and it would free up the space to see the Theatre once again. I think that's a win-win-win but again, it's just my 2¢

NormC

Prior to the BAH, the main thing you saw when you walked into MGM was not the Chinese theater. The old photos you see of the Chinese theater were taken with telephoto lenses that compress the foreground and the background making the Chinese theater appear to be bigger than in a normal (i.e. naked eye) view from the front of the park. In a naked eye view the Chinese theater was rather tiny and almost indistinguishable and a first time visitor would be hard pressed to identify the theater from the park entrance.
Wrong. It was a beautiful view. It worked just as the Imagineers intended and it was destroyed by the mis-placement of the Sorceror's hat. I would not have a problem with the hat if it did not destroy such well thought out sight lines.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

THIS!!!

Cesar R M

solution, make a gigantic sized water tower behind all the park parts, put the bah on it,add ears.. the end!
2 icons into one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom