Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Phil12

Not sure what you are basing that on...in real life it was forced perspective that made the street look longer...the vista grander... It set the place and time... 1930s Hollywood... I am not sure What the big hat symbolizes except theme park...and pin trading. It certainly takes you out of the whole feeling of vintage Hollywood... I agree... fined 100 interwebs points!
If you look at photos of the Chinese Theater, you'll notice that they are taken with a telephoto lens which compresses the apparent distance between objects. These photos make the Chinese Theater appear larger, closer and more prominent. Before the BAH, if you stood at the Crossroads of the World (entrance to DHS), the Chinese Theater was but a tiny speck in the distance to the naked eye. With the BAH a telephoto lens is not needed.

I think another important thing about any park icon is that it should serve as a marker. It's easy to use SE in EPCOT or the Tree of Life in AK as reference points and/or a place to meet. The water tower at DHS was unable to serve this purpose. Likewise, the Chinese Theater was never a good reference point.

Last edited:

Disnee4Me

I remember absolutely hating the hat when it was first installed but I grew rather fond of it after working at the Studios. Probably because I worked right around it and it made a great shade during those hot summer days LOL. I'd be torn if the hat was removed... On one hand i'd be happy to be able to see the Chinese Theater again at the end of Hollywood Blvd, and on the other i'd just miss the icon that i've grown fond of.

Too bad they can't move it, i'd be great out front where they put the Christmas Tree every year.
Agree out front would be best. Sort of like a "welcome sign"

Cmdr_Crimson

Would it be any less of an icon if it were placed outside the park gate? If anything it would make the BAH more popular and it wouldn't distract from the park's theming.

Exactly. Right outside the park is the perfect spot for it. I'm not saying I like the hat icon there. I prefer the Chinese Theatre and the view of walking down Hollywood Blvd. It's supposed to represent Hollywood. I was just saying if folks like the hat as the icon, then that's what they like, but the theatre should be the icon you see as you walk down the blvd. It's like them placing the BAH right on Buena Vista Street in DCA. Would completely ruin the theming.

It would look like this...
dhs.png

NormC

Before the BAH, if you stood at the Crossroads of the World (entrance to DHS), the Chinese Theater was but a tiny speck in the distance to the naked eye.

Not true. It was a beautiful view and worked exactly as the Imagineers intended. The BAH has destroyed that and has served its purpose. Move it somewhere else and return the welcoming vista to its original glory. I am not opposed to the hat just opposed to its current location.

[sarcasm] Stick it in front of the castle for a while [/sarcasm]

Communicore

If you look at photos of the Chinese Theater, you'll notice that they are taken with a telephoto lens which compresses the apparent distance between objects. These photos make the Chinese Theater appear larger, closer and more prominent. Before the BAH, if you stood at the Crossroads of the World (entrance to DHS), the Chinese Theater was but a tiny speck in the distance to the naked eye. With the BAH a telephoto lens is not needed.

I think another important thing about any park icon is that it should serve as a marker. It's easy to use SE in EPCOT or the Tree of Life in AK as reference points and/or a place to meet. The water tower at DHS was unable to serve this purpose. Likewise, the Chinese Theater was never a good reference point.
I think the original intended reference point is more likely the entrance to the Studio Tour. We've used that in the past.

FerretAfros

What about DL's castle, which is rather small especially when seen from Town Square. Yet it manages to be the park's icon (along with the Matterhorn) just fine. It's silly to think that the park icon must be highly visible from all over the park; even the hat can really only be seen from Hollywood Blvd and Echo Lake

ZodIsGr8

I wish the bah was placed somewhere else as well but we all know it is not going anywhere, or at least it hasn't moved in the 5 years that this post has been going on, so i am reminded of a song from a little known movie called Frozen, "Let it go, Let it go"

Last edited:

bakhuizen

Neither the water tower or the chinese theatre were ever intended to be a reference point within the park. The park originally ended at the theatre - animation and the studio tour were on the right - on the left the park ended a ways in front of star tours. There was no access to the stage sets in back - you rode through on the tour. There was also no Sunset Blvd. I remember it well when it opened -1/2 day park at a full day price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom