Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Kman101

It was put there for the celebration at the time. They decided to keep it because SUPPOSEDLY they wanted an icon for the park that 'stood out' (it sure does). So it's sort of a mix of both.

I think they just didn't want to bother taking it down. We all know Disney lies to make things sound good. I'd love to know the actual reason.

I'm just grateful that eyesore on EPCOT's icon was finally removed.

Marc Gil

Just came back to South Florida after a long day at the Studios. One thing I noticed on all iPhone cases being sold at the park was the absence of the Sorcerer Hat.

Also, the stage also seems to be fully installed. I can't wait to see some coverage of the 25th anniversary event here on WDWMagic!

Kman101

And for folks who don't see the hat coming down, virtually any rumored plan that involves making over DHS includes the hat coming down, from what I always remember hearing and reading here.

But they should try and move it to a different location. I'm sure it's simply cost as to why it's stayed up. They can claim they want it as their icon, but even merchandise knows it doesn't belong as the icon.

Bocabear

I don't know how well it's helping identify the park as Disney. I can't tell you how many people have referred to this park as UNIVERSAL Studios.
Wife - "What are those fireworks over there?!"
Husband - "I don't know, honey...Oh, that's the Studios...Yeah, that's Universal Studios!"
:hilarious:
There are stupid people everywhere though...If they honestly don't know if they are on Disney property or at Universal Studios...then it is going to take more than the hat to clue them in. I also hear people talking about going to The Spooky House and The Johnny Depp Ride....lol

GeneralZod

The theater is so small and hard to see. In that photo they had to get up real close to the theater just so it could be seen. The BAH is bold and and easy to see. It works much better as an icon.
I try to be as open-minded as possible as everyone has the right to their own opinion and while it might be different than mine it is also just as valuable. I appreciate conversation and debating to attempt to understand other peoples views; however, on this topic, you are just plan wrong and I fine you 100 interwebs points.

DisneyRoy

These are my two favorite photos pre-hat:

tumblr_mzdxhv5sts1t2wrf7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mzdxhv5sts1t2wrf7o5_r1_500.jpg
Having not been to Hollywood Studios "pre-hat" and then seeing these pictures, I can definitely say that I would prefer to see the hat gone as well. Those sight lines are awesome with the chinese theatre as the back drop. Provides for some great pictures as seen above. Thank you for these.

Bocabear

The theater is so small and hard to see. In that photo they had to get up real close to the theater just so it could be seen. The BAH is bold and and easy to see. It works much better as an icon.
Not sure what you are basing that on...in real life it was forced perspective that made the street look longer...the vista grander... It set the place and time... 1930s Hollywood... I am not sure What the big hat symbolizes except theme park...and pin trading. It certainly takes you out of the whole feeling of vintage Hollywood... I agree... fined 100 interwebs points!

NormC

They only TOLD you it was because of the Millennium. o_O

(Although I can't recall what excuse it was they gave for retheming the Animation Building into a generic museum celebrating past animation, after that production facility folded as well.)
If that is what you chose to believe that is fine. Not gonna argue with you.

UofMGuy423

I enjoyed the hat during the 100 years of magic celebration, but I feel it's overstayed its welcome by about 5 years. Now that the 100 years is long over and 50 years of magic celebration is long gone. 2008/2009 should've been the year to move it or dismantle it. I'd prefer seeing the Chinese Theater at the end of the street again rather than the hat. The hat now feels out of place and a remnant of a past celebration destroying the mood of the old-Hollywood theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom