Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

G00fyDad

It's not going anywhere. It doesn't matter that it looks like a giant blue cone and has all this industrial-looking infrastructure, that it was designed for a temporary celebration, that it's actually a pin shop or that is blocks the Chinese Theater. Disney has made that God-awful thing the "icon" of the Studios, for better or worse. It's not a case like Spaceship Earth where they attached some gaudy thing to an existing structure that was already iconic for almost 20 years. MGM sort of had the Earful Tower as an icon, but it's not as visible within the park. Disney knows that the giant hat thing is instantly more "Disney!" in the general public's eye than a water tower thing and they aren't going to use the Chinese Theater.

How are you so sure about this? And they have used both the tower and theater before. They still can in the future.

Marc Gil

It's not going anywhere. It doesn't matter that it looks like a giant blue cone and has all this industrial-looking infrastructure, that it was designed for a temporary celebration, that it's actually a pin shop or that is blocks the Chinese Theater. Disney has made that God-awful thing the "icon" of the Studios, for better or worse. It's not a case like Spaceship Earth where they attached some gaudy thing to an existing structure that was already iconic for almost 20 years. MGM sort of had the Earful Tower as an icon, but it's not as visible within the park. Disney knows that the giant hat thing is instantly more "Disney!" in the general public's eye than a water tower thing and they aren't going to use the Chinese Theater.
How is Spaceship Earth "Disney"?
How is the Tree of Life "Disney"?

Even California Adventure uses Carthay Circle and Grizzly Peak as park icons, surely they can revert back to Grauman's and Earful if they really wanted to.

cw1982

How is Spaceship Earth "Disney"?
How is the Tree of Life "Disney"?

Even California Adventure uses Carthay Circle and Grizzly Peak as park icons, surely they can revert back to Grauman's and Earful if they really wanted to.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tree of Life is from The Lion King, isn't it?

aladdin2007

Endor Sightseer said:

I think hes being partially sarcastic lol, but hes probably right and made true points. :banghead:

cw1982

But it doesn't look like THE Tree of Life

Looks pretty similar from the Google images I pulled up lol... at least the tree at AK looks like the one in the movie from far away. Of course when you get up close and it has all those animal carvings in it, not so much... but still, the reference to the movie is clear IMO.

Marc Gil

Looks pretty similar from the Google images I pulled up lol... at least the tree at AK looks like the one in the movie from far away. Of course when you get up close and it has all those animal carvings in it, not so much... but still, the reference to the movie is clear IMO.
This is what I found on Disney Wikia, then again, it's not really a reliable source, but it's worth a read:

"A Banyan tree much like Rafiki's Tree in The Lion King, the name was adopted for Rafiki's tree for usage on the Platinum DVD release's menus."

So I'm assuming it was renamed afterwards. I don't think it was ever specified in the film... At least I don't think it was. I haven't seen The Lion King in ages.

cw1982

This is what I found on Disney Wikia, then again, it's not really a reliable source, but it's worth a read:

"A Banyan tree much like Rafiki's Tree in The Lion King, the name was adopted for Rafiki's tree for usage on the Platinum DVD release's menus."

So I'm assuming it was renamed afterwards. I don't think it was ever specified in the film... At least I don't think it was. I haven't seen The Lion King in ages.

Lol.... *shrug*

It may or may not be actually named, but it looked close enough to the tree in the movie that I recognized it the first time I saw media for AK after it opened. I remember thinking how cool it was that you could actually see the tree from the movie.

cw1982

In other news, I suddenly want to watch The Lion King for the first time in years :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

The tree of life is a Baobob tree

The Swiss family treehouse is a Banyan tree

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom