Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Cmdr_Crimson

I seem to remember reading a post here from a respected and knowledgeable member that the BAH was seen as something of a mistake by Disney and that it would eventually be taken down. If that is true then not only does the majority of Disney fans disagree with you, but Disney brass disagrees too. The park had its icon. The water tower. It was just poorly placed. Even the Chinese Theater was a great icon. A gaudy monstrosity was not needed.

Case in Point..And we All know what happened to it.....MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!
EPCOTburned.jpg

aladdin2007

I seem to remember reading a post here from a respected and knowledgeable member that the BAH was seen as something of a mistake by Disney and that it would eventually be taken down. If that is true then not only does the majority of Disney fans disagree with you, but Disney brass disagrees too. The park had its icon. The water tower. It was just poorly placed. Even the Chinese Theater was a great icon. A gaudy monstrosity was not needed.

This!!! and didnt an Imagineer state at an event (several years ago now) that it would be coming down soon? I thought it was some kind of panel thing at what use to be the backlot theater and he said that. Maybe Im dreaming I dont know.

jt04

Oh what a day it would be just walking into the park and looking straight ahead to see it being Dismantled..
Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_3426.jpg

Or Better Yet....Looking Like this....
Sorcerer-Hat-Icon_Full_3416.jpg

Thanks for the visual confirmation that the hat can't just be moved here or there. While it would be nice, I think you have proven that it is not an easy task. And certainly not worth the cost. Demo however should be relatively easy. Hopefully they will do so sooner rather than later.

cheezbat

If TDO doesn't want to spend the money to take it down, can they at least let us Disney fans come in and demolish the thing...or BLOW IT UP?

I hate that dang thing.

Phil12

That could well be the case and it wouldn't bother me at all if the BAH is removed, replaced or kept it it's current location for the next 100 years. They could even move the water tower to the middle of the park. I've never felt the Chinese Theater was a suitable icon to represent the park however it is categorically the perfect facade for The Great Movie Ride.

kvdXg.jpg

Notice the raised right eyebrow (and look at the coat before you say it's his left eye).

Cmdr_Crimson

kvdXg.jpg

Notice the raised right eyebrow (and look at the coat before you say it's his left eye).

Interesting....But, here's the one that puzzled me the most...Why was Yensid's Design horribly Toonified in the Special Mickey's 60th Birthday? I've been trying to find answers about it. But, haven't found any clear answers. Many have stated that it wasn't Yensid. Yet that is His Hat Oh and also voiced by Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime & Eeyore)...http://theentertainmentnut.wordpress.com/tag/sorcerer/
608.jpg

lazyboy97o

There is really no right or wrong answer as to whether or not the BAH is an appropriate icon for DHS.
In this case, there is absolutely a right answer. You are not going to find any appreciable portion of the population that will include such a structure in their depiction of the Golden Age of Hollywood. It is a digital watch in a western that you are justifying because in another film a character named for the producer wears one.

There was an event a few years back for the park's 20th anniversary where Bob Weis (lead designer of the park) and Eric Jacobson (designer of the hat) said they would like to see the original view restored. I do not think you can get a more authoritative statement.

Cesar R M

Interesting....But, here's the one that puzzled me the most...Why was Yensid's Design horribly Toonified in the Special Mickey's 60th Birthday? I've been trying to find answers about it. But, haven't found any clear answers. Many have stated that it wasn't Yensid. Yet that is His Hat Oh and also voiced by Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime & Eeyore)...http://theentertainmentnut.wordpress.com/tag/sorcerer/
608.jpg

probably due of "think of the children" groups?

for some people.. it was terrifying.
similar to how "scary" was the bad demon from one of the older movies (seen in one of the shorts of Fantasmic)

NormC

The BAH is there for reasons I consider to be rather self evident and I don't think that themes or vistas have been compromised as a result of its construction. Dare I say, I think it was an improvement to DHS (formerly Disney/MGM when the icon was built).
The reason it is there was for a celebration that is long over. Now the justification for it to remain is to cover a popular pin station. The theme and vista has definitely been compromised as the imagineers that designed the boulevard never intended for a BAH to block the view of the theatre and disrupt the theme of vintage Hollywood. It is still there because the cost to remove it is an expenditure that is low on their list of things to do. It may be your opinion that it is an improvement but you would be in the minority. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Phil12

608.jpg

That's a new one on me. I am not at all familiar with the character but I did find the link you provided to be very interesting. Being that Yensid is a master sorcerer, I presume that he could take any form he desired. I think the key is that no matter what form he takes, Yensid is serious and a stern task master but at the same time he is a caring and goodhearted person. He looks after Mickey in a fatherly fashion and understands that Mickey will make mistakes.

In this case, there is absolutely a right answer. You are not going to find any appreciable portion of the population that will include such a structure in their depiction of the Golden Age of Hollywood. It is a digital watch in a western that you are justifying because in another film a character named for the producer wears one.
That's because it's the Hollywood that never was and always will be. It fits right in with a rock and roll band wacky limousine ride.

There was an event a few years back for the park's 20th anniversary where Bob Weis (lead designer of the park) and Eric Jacobson (designer of the hat) said they would like to see the original view restored. I do not think you can get a more authoritative statement.
Thirteen years and counting for their regrets. I hope they'll be pleased to know that I like the BAH.

lazyboy97o

That's because it's the Hollywood that never was and always will be. It fits right in with a rock and roll band wacky limousine ride.
You countered my point with my point. Its hard to think you know what you are talking about when you make such ridiculous statements.

Phil12

You countered my point with my point. Its hard to think you know what you are talking about when you make such ridiculous statements.
I'll try to be make my point in different way. When Disney/MGM first opened, the basis of the park was to celebrate the golden era of Hollywood running from about the end of silent films until the 1960's. As the park expanded, they moved beyond that premise into radio, television, music, theater and general media. While the kernel of old Hollywood is still part of the landscape, it has taken a backseat to Star Wars, Fantasmic and other popular and more relevant attractions.

The park is growing in new directions and the BAH is part of that change. I understand that people get upset when things change (such as the many changes to the Backlot Tour). I don't like all the changes myself but I think the BAH was a positive addition to the park.

lazyboy97o

I'll try to be make my point in different way. When Disney/MGM first opened, the basis of the park was to celebrate the golden era of Hollywood running from about the end of silent films until the 1960's. As the park expanded, they moved beyond that premise into radio, television, music, theater and general media. While the kernel of old Hollywood is still part of the landscape, it has taken a backseat to Star Wars, Fantasmic and other popular and more relevant attractions.

The park is growing in new directions and the BAH is part of that change. I understand that people get upset when things change (such as the many changes to the Backlot Tour). I don't like all the changes myself but I think the BAH was a positive addition to the park.
The rest of the park changing means nothing to Hollywood Blvd.

NormC

It would be a positive addition in a better location instead of blocking the intended view created by Imagineering. The BAH was always supposed to be temporary and has outlived its welcome.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It would be a positive addition in a better location instead of blocking the intended view created by Imagineering. The BAH was always supposed to be temporary and has outlived its welcome.

The BAH would have been fine on the plaza before the gates it could even house retail in the base, It's butt ugly where it is now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom