Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
When were the spires removed... and does anybody have a guess as to what the motivation was for removal? Like what was there to gain?

sorcery-in-the-sky.jpg

They had a fireworks display with an inflatable Mickey and occasionally the fireworks would hit the spire. The spire was made retractable but I believe that malfunctioned at times as well.

TyrantBoss

Just got back from Disney. Hollywood Studios looks SO much better without the silly hat.
Just having the Chinese Theater at the end of main street looks exponentially classier now.
The last time I saw that was back in the 80's, two weeks after the park opened. I LOVE it the way it is.

prberk

I'd say a bit of both. I know a lot of people who never visited the Poly as kids or way back when, yet they still loved the feel of it. The sound of running water is known to be a soothing sound, and it actually makes the Poly feel like it's part of Hawaii, and not some knockoff, tiki-decorated Holiday Inn.

Grand Hyatt KAUAI...
filename-lobby1-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

Old Poly
fountain-poly-lobby-andy-e1404745995264.jpg

I loved the Poly's fountain probably as much for the sound of running water, and the visual aesthetics, as the nostalgia. It always felt like Hawaii to me. It just seems that if the water and mold production were the problem, they could have done something about that with air handling systems and other adjustments. (Gaylord Palms and Gaylord Opryland both have comparable indoor environments.)

And, while we're doing picture comparisons...

Chinese Theater Pre-Hat
71112-800-jpg.87302

Chinese Theater Post Hat (as of 3/18/2015)
image-jpg.87241

And while we are comparing: The real thing, in Hollywood.

Grauman's Chinese Forecourt.jpg

And also while we are comparing: Perhaps these real pics from 1977 in the real Hollywood show a forerunner of things to come at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida:

Star-Wars-Premiere_1977 BW.jpg

Star-Wars-Premiere_1977 color side.jpg

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

I loved the Poly's fountain probably as much for the sound of running water, and the visual aesthetics, as the nostalgia. I always felt like Hawaii to me. It just seem that if the water and mold production were the problem, they could have done something about that with air handling systems and other adjustments. (Gaylord Palms and Gaylord Opryland both have comparable indoor environments.)

And while we are comparing: The real thing, in Hollywood.

View attachment 87549

And while we are comparing: Perhaps these real pics from 1977 in the real Hollywood show a forerunner of things to come at Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida:

View attachment 87551

View attachment 87552
that wouldnt be a bad Idea for SWW, mock up the theater for the release day of Star Wars.

prberk

that wouldnt be a bad Idea for SWW, mock up the theater for the release day of Star Wars.

You know, that could actually work. (As long as they keep it as a temporary thing.)

The ironic thing in real life is that now each new Star Wars is more than likely never to see the light of day at the real Chinese Theatre, since Disney owns the El Capitan across the street and makes most of its premieres there.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom