Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

djkidkaz

10569966_880911058623428_1238271822_n.jpg

Today...courtesy Queenbananabean.

Looks like the support for the former left ear and hand are all gone, but that's all I can pick up on.

I imagine the other ear will take about two nights to remove ( not counting tonight and Saturday since the rumor is the crews are off those nights ) and then I'm curious how they will go about removing the rest. Do you just remove the two poles holding it up and lower it to the ground to finish dismantling it? Or will they gut the center piece before dismantling the ring? I'd say by the end of next week this project could be pretty close to complete.

Lampost

So, I have a few questions...
Why are they even getting rid of it?
Are they replacing it with something? Wasn't it the 'feature' of the park much like AK has the Tree of Life and Magic Kingdom has the castle?

I'm a newbie so maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I couldn't find any answers to this.

HRHPrincessAriel

Are they replacing it with something? Wasn't it the 'feature' of the park much like AK has the Tree of Life and Magic Kingdom has the castle?

I'm a newbie so maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I couldn't find any answers to this.
just start page one and read all the way to this one ;-)

Sage of Time

It was added in 2001 for a marketing campaign and branding purposes and nothing more. The 'feature' or icon of the park is the Earful Tower and the Chinese Theater, behind the hat, is the 'weenie' of Hollywood Blvd, which leads you down the street and makes a coherent thematic statement.

djkidkaz

It was only supposed to be there for a short time and wasn't intended to be the park icon. Eventually it stayed and they used it as the icon but the majority of people didn't like that it was placed in front of the Chinese theater blocking the view down Hollywood Blvd as it was originally intended. The original icon of the park before the hat was the water tower and now that the hat is gone they are using the water tower as the icon again.

Lampost

It was added in 2001 for a marketing campaign and branding purposes and nothing more. The 'feature' or icon of the park is the Earful Tower and the Chinese Theater, behind the hat, is the 'weenie' of Hollywood Blvd, which leads you down the street and makes a coherent thematic statement.

It was only supposed to be there for a short time and wasn't intended to be the park icon. Eventually it stayed and they used it as the icon but the majority of people didn't like that it was placed in front of the Chinese theater blocking the view down Hollywood Blvd as it was originally intended. The original icon of the park before the hat was the water tower and now that the hat is gone they are using the water tower as the icon again.

Ooooh okay, thanks for clearing that up for me :)
I didn't realise it was so disliked!

note2001

Disliked is an understatement. Pages 1-175 or so of this thread are just rantings about how horrible it is.

I liked that hat... but then I love change more when I know the ones doing it intend on leaving things better than they found them. :) I'm really excited to see final product

... and, I have to admit, there is a charm to this demolition. The feeling is akin to to that of a kid methodically destroying her/his big brother's erector set creation. :hilarious:

Last edited:
I feel like the BAH is a lot like the neighbors who leave their Christmas lights on past February. It's was exciting to think they would be up for that one celebration (100 years of magic / millennium) and then everything would go back to normal, but when they just didn't go away, it was like really it's still there and they are turning it into a what? :banghead:

msteel

I imagine the other ear will take about two nights to remove ( not counting tonight and Saturday since the rumor is the crews are off those nights ) and then I'm curious how they will go about removing the rest. Do you just remove the two poles holding it up and lower it to the ground to finish dismantling it? Or will they gut the center piece before dismantling the ring? I'd say by the end of next week this project could be pretty close to complete.

Considering that they have marked (with orange paint lines) places they plan to cut on the main ring, I suspect it will come down in pieces as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see more scaffolding for support as they remove pieces.

Arthur Wellesley

Am I the only one that's still depressed there was no bonfire? Was really looking forward to that...
It's funny you should mention that, because I am planning a flash mob dance on Hollywood Blvd. the morning after the final piece is removed. You can watch a video of what the dance routine will look like below. There is still time to memorize & rehearse the dance steps. Others of you will be participating in this spontaneous celebration I trust, or else I'm going to look awfully silly out there by myself.

NYwdwfan

It's funny you should mention that, because I am planning a flash mob dance on Hollywood Blvd. the morning after the final piece is removed. You can watch a video of what the dance routine will look like below. There is still time to memorize & rehearse the dance steps. Others of you will be participating in this spontaneous celebration I trust, or else I'm going to look awfully silly out there by myself.

I am anxiously awaiting your performance!!

Rob562

You read my mind. (I think I even posted this clip in reference to the Wand coming down a few years ago ;) )

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom