Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Sped2424

so just because "it's not going anywhere" means we have to just change our opinions about the hat? no screw you i hate the hat and i want it gone.

now, i came to terms with the fact that it's not leaving any time in the next decade. that doesn't make my personal feelings about it go away.
WOOOOAHH THERE miss gaga im going to have to ask you to sit down. Did I ask about your personal feelings or insult them? No, what I did say was that the hat is not going to go anywhere and disney is not going to tear it down, I have no idea what that hat did to you personally but It must have been something awful.

NoChesterHester

People need to realize that hat isn't going anywhere to much money to tear down or move and not worth it.

Opinion stated as if it were fact. Last thing we heard is that most of the studios makeover proposals include the removal of the hat.

Besides, Disney spends gobs of money on useless ventures. Look no further than the Fantasyland Dragon. The removal of the hat would actually improve a stellar themed district.

Sped2424

Opinion stated as if it were fact. Last thing we heard is that most of the studios makeover proposals include the removal of the hat.

Besides, Disney spends gobs of money on useless ventures. Look no further than the Fantasyland Dragon. The removal of the hat would actually improve a stellar themed district.
Fantasyland dragon is going to be used in something in the future whether its a show or for avatar land that much is certain, (my guess is when fantasyland is completely opened) people want that hat gone so bad they are beginning to take small details and act as if they are major facts that its going to be gone. Also globs of money on the fantasyland dragon probably isn't the most accurate statement if we are to follow your rule of not stating opinions as fact.

DisneyGuyNYC

First time poster on WDWMAGIC but a long time lurker. Here's my take on the hat: It's iconic as all get out because it's a strong symbol and easily identifiable. However it doesn't do much to represent the park's supposed theme and is a stark contrast to the other three symbols in this regard. Also, it's cheap and trashy looking. Some people say "but Fantasia is an old Hollywood movie and it's Hollywood!" but that is a pretty flimsy argument. If that's the case then they could stick an artifact from any old Hollywood movie in the middle and be done with it. It needs to be more than that.

It's a nice prop but it's placement is awful and it's complete uselessness outside of looking good on a postcard makes it feel incredibly cheap in person. You feel cheated when you walk up to it. It cheapens the whole park to sell disposable cameras and hand fans in the parks icon. It was built to be temporary and it's long overstayed it's welcome.

The conundrum is that the other parks have an icon at their center and fit a format. It shouldn't be the theater (it's not original enough and is very poor for use as a "symbol" in artwork) and it can't be the tower since that's not at the center. The tower is great, but as an icon to walk towards as you enter the park it's laughable. Also, if it's an active water tower moving it would be crazy difficult.

I'm all for taking it down but I've yet to see a good idea for replacing it that doesn't cheapen DHS even further.

J03Y

WOOOOAHH THERE miss gaga im going to have to ask you to sit down. Did I ask about your personal feelings or insult them? No, what I did say was that the hat is not going to go anywhere and disney is not going to tear it down, I have no idea what that hat did to you personally but It must have been something awful.

i don't like it. therefore i'm not obligated to agree to it being there. again, i deal with the fact it's staying.

i just don't like how you inferred in your post that just because we were aware that it's not going anywhere it meant that we weren't allowed to not like it. and it obstructs the view of the theater, for one thing, along with the fact it neither adds anything to the park nor does it even go with the park's theme. it's just there, taking up space that could be used for something better just for the sake of having a more Disney-fied icon. it's one of many things MGM has wrong going on.

it looks cute, but that's all it is. it sure shouldn't be what represents a park made to draw you into the movies. it's a market ploy to spread the mouse ears, when that tactic is obviously not necessary when the castle and the golf ball became iconic long before they ever went through their periods of mouse-ification.

Sped2424

i don't like it. therefore i'm not obligated to agree to it being there. again, i deal with the fact it's staying.

i just don't like how you inferred in your post that just because we were aware that it's not going anywhere it meant that we weren't allowed to not like it. and it obstructs the view of the theater, for one thing, along with the fact it neither adds anything to the park nor does it even go with the park's theme. it's just there, taking up space that could be used for something better just for the sake of having a more Disney-fied icon. it's one of many things MGM has wrong going on.

it looks cute, but that's all it is. it sure shouldn't be what represents a park made to draw you into the movies. it's a market ploy to spread the mouse ears, when that tactic is obviously not necessary when the castle and the golf ball became iconic long before they ever went through their periods of mouse-ification.
You can not like something and display that with out personal attacks the whole screw you part has rubbed me the entire wrong way. And If we are going to relay on the parks theme stars wars needs to go as does the Muppet's area and the Pixar movie and the beauty and the beast show needs to be moved. I am not fond of the hat myself all I did was say that its probably not going to go anywhere, you took it a whole 4 steps higher never did I say you couldn't hate the hat I never inferred anything about you choice to not like the hat.

Then I'm all for moving it. Though I maintain it's not quite "grand" enough to be an icon. It is better than the hat though.
Even though it's not active and therefore, slightly less difficult to move, I definitely do not think it should be the park's icon. Like you said, it isn't grand enough to be an icon, and it certainly would not be better to stick it in the place of the hat. Think about it, the water tower only looks good from a distance, and if you were standing right under it, just a giant, ugly support structure would be staring you in the face. It could indeed return to being the park's icon in its current positions as it once was, but then we are reverting back to the problem that generated the hat, an uninspiring icon that has nothing to do with the theme of the park. Not that the hat really solved this problem. So I guess the question is, should something replace the hat, or should a current attraction serve as the park's icon? TBH, I haven't decided. What do y'all think?

MarkTwain

First time poster on WDWMAGIC but a long time lurker. Here's my take on the hat: It's iconic as all get out because it's a strong symbol and easily identifiable. However it doesn't do much to represent the park's supposed theme and is a stark contrast to the other three symbols in this regard. Also, it's cheap and trashy looking. Some people say "but Fantasia is an old Hollywood movie and it's Hollywood!" but that is a pretty flimsy argument. If that's the case then they could stick an artifact from any old Hollywood movie in the middle and be done with it. It needs to be more than that.

It's a nice prop but it's placement is awful and it's complete uselessness outside of looking good on a postcard makes it feel incredibly cheap in person. You feel cheated when you walk up to it. It cheapens the whole park to sell disposable cameras and hand fans in the parks icon. It was built to be temporary and it's long overstayed it's welcome.

The conundrum is that the other parks have an icon at their center and fit a format. It shouldn't be the theater (it's not original enough and is very poor for use as a "symbol" in artwork) and it can't be the tower since that's not at the center. The tower is great, but as an icon to walk towards as you enter the park it's laughable. Also, if it's an active water tower moving it would be crazy difficult.

I'm all for taking it down but I've yet to see a good idea for replacing it that doesn't cheapen DHS even further.

Correct on all counts, except I will point out that Spaceship Earth is far from the center of the park. It's not really even the center of Future World; in fact, it's basically the northernmost structure in the park.

Since there's a precedent for off-center landmarks, I would propose moving the Water tower to in front of DHS's entrance gates, on the waterfront, so it would act as a kind of beacon to the park for those approaching from the water, much like Magic Kingdom's train station. Then it would be in a prominent location that wouldn't obstruct any views from elsewhere.

G00fyDad

Because nothing says "theme park icon" like a castle, a gigantic geodesic sphere, and...a water tower.

No need to get smart mouthed about it. ;) If you look at most of the iconic movie studios you will notice a prominent water tower icon. That is what I am basing my idea on. Otherwise I might have said that they should remove the hat and replace it with a talking trash can. :rolleyes:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
But Disney's Hollywood Studios is a labeled as a "Hollywood that never was - and always will be". Half of the park is revolved around classic Hollywood, and The Chinese Theater seems to be the perfect park icon because it seamlessly ties together two ideas of the park - the movies and classic Hollywood.
I thought that was the tagline for Tommorowland - The future that never was - and always will be

So...by this reasoning we can call:
EPCOT - The city that never was - and always will be.
DAK - The zoo that never was - and always will be.
TDO - Customer Service that never was - and always will be.

lazyboy97o

Correct on all counts, except I will point out that Spaceship Earth is far from the center of the park. It's not really even the center of Future World; in fact, it's basically the northernmost structure in the park.

Since there's a precedent for off-center landmarks, I would propose moving the Water tower to in front of DHS's entrance gates, on the waterfront, so it would act as a kind of beacon to the park for those approaching from the water, much like Magic Kingdom's train station. Then it would be in a central location that wouldn't obstruct any views from elsewhere.
My problem with this idea is that the water tower image is one tied to backlots. The backlot is not in the front of the park, is not used and may not be around at all much longer.

I thought that was the tagline for Tommorowland - The future that never was - and always will be

So...by this reasoning we can call:
EPCOT - The city that never was - and always will be.
DAK - The zoo that never was - and always will be.
TDO - Customer Service that never was - and always will be.
It is from Eisner's dedication speech.
"The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood—not a place on a map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was—and always will be."

imagineer boy

I definately think the earful tower should be the main icon. It symbolizes movie making (since water towers are common on studio lots) with a Disney twist hence the ears. It should be moved to the front of the park to be more prominent. The hat does nothing to symbolize Hollywood or the movies. It's just a blown up prop from only one movie. Not very exciting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom