Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

The Mom

Premium Member
I can't believe that people are arguing about likes and dislikes. Most people have no logical reason as to why they find one type of thing more attractive than another. You're talking about feelings and personal taste, which don't have to have a reason behind them except "I like it."

So please stop arguing about it. Thank you.

Phil12

It's exactly the right scale for the street, just like Sleeping Beauty Castle at DL.
Indeed, I agree that it is the right size for the forced perspective. However, the Chinese Theater is a copy of the original Chinese Theater in Hollywood. With Sleeping Beauty Castle you have a lot more mass and bulk of the structure in the center part of the building. The Chinese Theater at DHS looks rather anemic in comparison because they were following the style of the original in Hollywood. It works in the sense that you have all of these buildings in DHS on either side of Hollywood Blvd. and way down at the end is this tiny little Chinese Theater. Linear perspective demands that a building in the background be smaller than buildings in the middle ground or foreground.

Phil12

its not just "a hat". Its what it represents.
It represented the sorcerer's mickey a Classic cartoon.

for me, I loved that darn hat.
I just agree that it was not build in the correct area.
For me..It should have been placed outside in the entrance on the park, on the fantastmic area or in the animation courtyard area.
I think we need to remember who owned the hat. Yensid owned the hat. And who was Yensid? Yensid is Disney spelled backwards which pays tribute to Walt Disney. What better huge icon to put in the center of a Disney theme park devoted to movies. The BAH was a direct tribute to Walt Disney. I find it amusing that so many fans overlook or fail to recognize this piece of thematic history.

G00fyDad

I think we need to remember who owned the hat. Yensid owned the hat. And who was Yensid? Yensid is Disney spelled backwards which pays tribute to Walt Disney. What better huge icon to put in the center of a Disney theme park devoted to movies. The BAH was a direct tribute to Walt Disney. I find it amusing that so many fans overlook or fail to recognize this piece of thematic history.

No one has argued that the hat did not represent Disney. It does. It was just placed in the wrong spot. As such, it was a huge mistake.

Phil12

No one has argued that the hat did not represent Disney. It does. It was just placed in the wrong spot. As such, it was a huge mistake.
Someone at Disney thought it was a good idea for many years. However, I have no objection to it leaving. Of course I also liked it when Stitch tee-peed Cindy's castle.

The Rocketeer

Indeed, I agree that it is the right size for the forced perspective. However, the Chinese Theater is a copy of the original Chinese Theater in Hollywood. With Sleeping Beauty Castle you have a lot more mass and bulk of the structure in the center part of the building. The Chinese Theater at DHS looks rather anemic in comparison because they were following the style of the original in Hollywood. It works in the sense that you have all of these buildings in DHS on either side of Hollywood Blvd. and way down at the end is this tiny little Chinese Theater. Linear perspective demands that a building in the background be smaller than buildings in the middle ground or foreground.
The Chinese Theater in DHS was not built with forced perspective as both castles were. It is full scale, now Hollywood blvd's shops are not and were built with forced persepctive. Almost every thing at disney is built with it so I appreciate that it's true to the original. It fits in well with the theming, better than a gigantic hat does.

Horizons1

You know one thing I'm wondering....I wonder what that family is doing now with their sorcerer hat from that TLC Show My Yard Goes Disney....
my-yard-goes-disney.jpg
They sold it on craigslist shortly after it was installed.

Phil12

Any of this can be "fun" as long as it is as "temporary" as they originally intend. Except the Cake Castle. :banghead: That dreamer should be hung in the Haunted Mansion.
I have enjoyed all of the castle modifications including the castle cake. But I say that from the perspective of being a long time repeat guest. I can certainly empathize with guests that may have only had one opportunity in their lives to visit WDW and then find that the main park icon has been radically changed. Some poor guests are experiencing that right now at DHS. I suppose you could say the same thing about disco Yeti as well as the malfunctioning animatronics in CoP and the poor film in Soarin'.

Phil12

The Chinese Theater in DHS was not built with forced perspective as both castles were. It is full scale, now Hollywood blvd's shops are not and were built with forced persepctive. Almost every thing at disney is built with it so I appreciate that it's true to the original. It fits in well with the theming, better than a gigantic hat does.
The Chinese Theater is rather tiny as you view it down Hollywood Blvd. because it doesn't have as much center mass as any of the castles. Plus, it's rather plain because it's built to resemble a Chinese pagoda. Conversely the architecture of Sleeping Beauty Castle has all manner of ornate embellishments such as conical spires, open gorge towers, circular turrets, wooden galleries, round arched germinate windows and other such fortress features. A castle by its very definition is a large and imposing fortress. A pagoda by definition can be most any size from small to large.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom